Singlespeed Poser
    Dec 2009

... and if we just ... Indian Truck Trail -> Trabuco -> Holy Jim EPIC

I has been a month since i got back on the saddle from my previous clavicle accident and i assure you that the road back to mountain biking condition was not easy.

Slowly but surely i would get my strength and endurance back. What better way to test yourself with an Epic route.

Here is the exact route we followed.
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=2963

So let the climbing begin.

This picture would be the last time i would see Alib as she went of into her own little world and went super fast. I later saw her waiting for me up Main Divide with a smile on her face.

a couple of miles up ITT Goyo(Turiha's Friend) broke his rear wheel and had to turn around and go back to San Diego. Later on that day i found out that Turiha ended up buying a road bike.

Just a view of where we rode up from and to think we are not even half way up ITT.

For the most part ITT was dry and rutted with an occasional remnants of landslides from the previous rain.

I finally met up with Alib up in Main Divide and we had some more climbing to do which was quite painful. But you are rewarded with these views from the top which was great!

Main Divide was a little sucky because of all the loose shales. Alib trying not to dab the climbs.

On our way to Trabuco, we picked up a new friend that we met at Main Divide and was kind enough to show us where we can pick up Trabuco. Shortly after this meeting he would have a mechanical issue with his chain breaking. I gave him my only powerlink and i would hope for the entirety of the ride that i will not break a chain. But, i was really glad that we can help him out and not leave him out there stranded.

A little bit of snow left.

Finally! We reach the entrance to the trail head down Trabuco.

Alib going down Trabuco.

Lotsa baby heads and shales.

Darryl and Alib crossing the creek.

Darryl and Alib all smiles from the sweet singletrack trail of Trabuco. This would the last time we would see Darryl who was a really cool dude but please next time bring your own tools

Now off we go up the Holy Jim Trail.

Not a lot of pics from Holy Jim because we were desperately trying to hurry up.
    No smiles for Alib on this climb.

we finished our day with some burgers from Toms farms.

Great day and very painful.
    Totals Stats: 31 miles 7K ft of ascent

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    that is a great ride, we do it quite often. there are many variations too! you can go up to Santiago Peak and hit Upper Holy Jim, or you can climb up from the bottom of San Juan Trail and then do Trabuco - Holy Jim.

Thanks for the pics and sharing your adventures.

Singlespeed Poser
    Dec 2009
    You're welcome!

By any chance have you done this route? We're actually contemplating on doing this ride perhaps in the next couple of weeks or so.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=3145

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Interesting. This is similar to my first ever MTB race in 1989 - the Dodge Spirit Challenge, which was the short course version of the Desert-to-the-Sea 150 (Palm Springs to Dana Point). Not sure what possessed us to do this as our first race. It was billed initially as 50 miles, then described as 35 miles, actually turned out to be around 25 per my computer. At the start we were told it was a 5 mile climb and there would be a shuttle to take us back to the start. . .

Mile 5 - Feeling pretty good, have passed a few people.
    Mile 6 - Still climbing, their mileage must've been off a bit.
    Mile 10 - WTF? If I missed a turn, so did a number of other people. Now starting to go backwards in the group.
    Mile 11 - Cannot ride more. Walking. Please let it end soon and get warmer!
    Mile 12+ - Finally an aid station looms in the chilly fog. Gulp a banana in one bit and head downhill. I don't think I've ever been this cold and there seems to be frost on my jersey!

It turned out to be about half climbing, half descent. I passed a few on the descent and wound up 12th I think. My buddy was 3rd. I rode my '88 neon pink Wicked Fat Chance and he was on his hot pink/black fade Yeti FRO. There was no shuttle back to the start and luckily my parents figured that out when the organizers packed up and left and they managed to meet us at Dana Point (no cell phones!). My glory moment, getting filmed for a brief moment for the ESPN broadcast as Tinker and then Rishi Grewal passed me - they'd been riding since 5 am starting in Palm Springs! I still have the poster and t-shirt from the race.

Anyway, had to share because the route made me recall my roots 20+ yrs ago. This sport is cool.

Glad to Be Alive
    nice pics!!!
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    nice pictures and good post with map , will have to try that trail , hope can make it to the 10 mile

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks for sharing on Geoladder!

Singlespeed Poser
    Dec 2009
    You're welcome guys!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    man , brings back the good ol times , i used to live in corona and ride up ITT 2-3 times a week on my trek xo-1 cross bike what a blast !!
    makes me sad as i live in houston tx and the terrain sucks , no hills or mtns anywhere

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My question is somewhat related to this thread so I thought I'd resurrect this thread.

If you're coming from west side, is it better to climb W. Horsethief trail and descend Trabuco, or vice versa? Horsethief looks steep on the maps, but you get a lot more downhill if you go up Horsethief and come down trabuco. But all the mtb guide books suggest going up Trabuco and down W. Horsethief. Advice? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    West Horsethief is mostly HAB. If you have to do a loop then go up it. Although it can be techy good riders can climb almost 100% of Trabuco on the bike which IMO is better than hiking. There is no reason to go down (or up) West Horsethief when Trabuco is the much better trail up or down. That said, everyone should experience W. Horsethief once.