mtbr member
    Dec 2008

IMPORTANT- Petition seeking equal trail access for Mountain Bikes

Hello fellow mtbr members:

A precedent setting decision (Forest Order) is being considered by the Red Rock Ranger District of the Coconino National Forest (USFS). This decision is dangerous as it focuses exclusively on mountain bikers.

Please make the time to read this brief petition as this decision has the potential to effect all USFS lands. If you agree with the message, please sign the petition and share the link with everyone you know.

http://www.change.org/petitions/u-s-...ntain-bikers-2

Thanks everyone.

Ride On!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cakewalk907 View Post
    Hello fellow mtbr members:

A precedent setting decision (Forest Order) is being considered by the Red Rock Ranger District of the Coconino National Forest (USFS). This decision is dangerous as it focuses exclusively on mountain bikers.

Please make the time to read this brief petition as this decision has the potential to effect all USFS lands. If you agree with the message, please sign the petition and share the link with everyone you know.

http://www.change.org/petitions/u-s-...ntain-bikers-2

Thanks everyone.

Ride On!
    Already signed, here. It seems like, for some reason, the Forest Service in Sedona Red Rock area is reverting to a regressive position regarding mountain bicycles. Having made multiple trips to Sedona and Red Rock country expressly to ride the fantastic trails there, I find it hard to believe that "trail impact" is again the bugaboo pulled out of the Ranger hat as justification, when this has been thoroughly debunked by credible, legitimate studies, several of them.
    What has turned them?
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thanks so much...greatly appreciated...help us by getting ALL of your buds to sign...pass it on!!

mtbr member
    I wouldn't call this regression as much as it is the USFS solution to stem the tide of user built trail construction.

Up until now, people were building trail left and right. But the FS rarely caught anyone building, and MTBers were pretty much left free to enjoy the fruits of the builders' labor once the trails were built. That's not much of a deterrent to building new trails.

By making cross country travel illegal for bikes, builders and MTBers in general won't be able to ride those trails openly anymore, so there is less incentive to go out and build as many trails.

Publicly the USFS has to rationalize the cross country prohibition for BS reasons like trail damage by bikes, erosion, etc. because if they cited the real reason, they are basically admitting that they have not been doing their job which is to prevent user built trails from popping up everywhere.

While I'm sure there will be a bunch of tickets written in the beginning (hopefully warnings first), long term I don't see there being that much change unless they start deconstructing trails. I doubt the FS have the resources to do much deconstruction let alone patrol all the non-official trails which are still open to hikers/horses, just looking for bikes. As always it will be the few unlucky ones who get busted.

If they really wanted to do their job they should make x-country travel illegal for everyone. I don't like the precedent of banning bikes but not other users, but I suspect this is another case of MTBers being our own worst enemy by building too many trails.

Regardless, petition signed...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thanks so much for signing...have you had the pleasure of riding here in Sedona?