Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004

I'm not taking my bike to Kernville...

Because I'd only have 1 day to ride and it'll cost about $160 to bring it along on the flight.

Is that a mistake?

That's gonna leave a mark
    That's a decision only you can make. Are you only going to be there for one day?
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    That's a decision only you can make. Are you only going to be there for one day?
    No. 5 days actually. But at most I could do one 'day' ride and maybe a quick sunset or am ride on another day if there's a trailhead in the neighborhood.

That's gonna leave a mark
    There's plenty of riding about 20 minutes away at the Keyesville campground. I don't know of any trailheads in Kernville. Are you going to be there the weekend of the race? (March 15-17)
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBKauai
    No. 5 days actually. But at most I could do one 'day' ride and maybe a quick sunset or am ride on another day if there's a trailhead in the neighborhood.
    I think that Mountain and River Adventures might have rentals - and there is one trailhead accessible from Kernville - you head North on Burlando Rd until it ends - the Whiskey Flat trail begins there - you can head upriver on the Whiskey Flat trail for as long as you want to ride (as an out and back) - the trail ends at the Footbridge at McNally's (another way to go would be to ride the bike up the pavement to McNally's, cross the footbridge and return to town on the Whiskey Flat trail) - it's a fun XC ride through some very pretty riverside terrain

otherwise you can ride from Kernville to the top of Just Outstanding (Alta Sierra) - either on the pavement or the old dirt road - but it's a big tough climb and when you are done you have to ride the road back to Kernville - this is assuming the top at Alta Sierra isn't still buried under snow - call MRA and check it out
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    I think that Mountain and River Adventures might have rentals...
    Thanks Macrider. I just talked to John (who it turns out I know from mutual friends here on Kauai—go figure) and he's got some good rentals for $45 a day. So I'll get to ride and won't have to lug my Heckler all the way to Cali.

Excellent.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBKauai
    Because I'd only have 1 day to ride and it'll cost about $160 to bring it along on the flight.

Is that a mistake?

I'd wait a few months go ride the Keysville area for a day then Get the adventure place to shuttle you to THE PLUNGE!!...Yep Keysville comes in a distant 2nd to any early june/july run at THE PLUNGE! heh-heh
    Ride Dirt
    Matt W.
    Press On !
    Gal 5:6,b NIV
    Celebrating 20+ YEARS of strictly MTB riding!..I'm old

mtbr member
    shullte up sawmill rd and find your way to dutch flat......steep and deep(ruts of love)