mtbr member
    Nov 2007

I'll be in LA over summer... places to ride?

I'm from Grand Rapids, MI and this summer I will be interning with Boeing in El Segundo. I was wondering if you guys could give me the low down on any kind of trails in the area. I'm fine with riding paved/dirt bike paths on a more day to day basis just for exercise (I'll be living in Marina del Rey). I heard there was a 20+ mile path somewhere along the beach, does anyone have any detail on this?

I'd also like to make it out to some of the singletrack on the weekends. However I will not have all the time in the world -- I'd like to keep the driving around an hour or less. I've looked at some of the websites, but I'm looking for some of your opinions.

Also, are there any groups that go riding in the area I could hook up with on the weekend, seeing as how I won't know any other riders out there...

Thanks!

-Andrew

mtbr member
    You can ride from MDR to El Segundo no problem on the bike path. In fact, it might be quicker than driving! I am sure the view is better as well....

PM me when you are here... I can guide you for sure.

My wife is from Trenton, MI. I've been there a bunch. I'll help you out, just as long as you are not an obnoxious Red Wings fan!
    "Well I don't drink as much as I ought to."

~Jerry Jeff Walker~

mtbr member
    May 2005
    When I lived in Marina Del Rey, I went to Sullivan Canyon a lot. Found the cross street Bayliss and Westridge in the Brentwood/Pacific Palisades area on google maps or something and you can see the trailhead. It should take you 30 minutes to get to the trailhead tops.

I lived in Southfield and Birminham MI, go Big Blue!! I also stare at your boeing building every day from my work, thats pretty funny!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Peru
    You can ride from MDR to El Segundo no problem on the bike path. In fact, it might be quicker than driving! I am sure the view is better as well....

PM me when you are here... I can guide you for sure.

My wife is from Trenton, MI. I've been there a bunch. I'll help you out, just as long as you are not an obnoxious Red Wings fan!
    That's great to hear MDR to El Segundo is bike-able; I'd like to ride to work sometimes if that's possible. I can't say I follow the NHL much, so no worries about being an obnoxious wings fan. I'll be sure to message you when I get out there in May. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by merlin1011
    When I lived in Marina Del Rey, I went to Sullivan Canyon a lot. Found the cross street Bayliss and Westridge in the Brentwood/Pacific Palisades area on google maps or something and you can see the trailhead. It should take you 30 minutes to get to the trailhead tops.

I lived in Southfield and Birminham MI, go Big Blue!! I also stare at your boeing building every day from my work, thats pretty funny!
    I took a look at Sullivan Canyon. It definitely looks pretty close, i think a little over 9 miles from where I'll be living. That is interesting you work across the street from Boeing's building. I haven't been out there yet. Is it a nice facility? Anything else I should know about the area?