Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New question here. Idyllwild Spring Challenge

Anyone going to the Idyllwild Spring Challenge? How was it last year? Is the course grueling with lots of climbing? How is the weather? Does the altitude effect riding? How far are you driving? Its going to be almost a 3 hr hike for me.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Exclorlator
    Anyone going to the Idyllwild Spring Challenge? How was it last year? Is the course grueling with lots of climbing? How is the weather? Does the altitude effect riding? How far are you driving? Its going to be almost a 3 hr hike for me.
    I'm going. I'll be racing both the CC and Super D. I was in Idyllwild last week to preride the course but we ended up relaxing and lounging around instead. The weather was nice; maybe a little cool if your from down the hill. The altitude is around 6000'; the same as where I live so your mileage may vary. I've never raced the Spring Classic but it looks like it will be a good time. There are course maps and course profiles here
    http://www.idyllwildcycling.com/springchallenge.html
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The race starts around 4400ft of elevation I believe, and climbs up to around 6k depending on what class you are in.

There'll be a few hike-a-bike sections, including the "cyclocross of mountain biking" trail which has you on and off your bike for a good while unless you're pretty skilled (at least IMO).

Weather should be high 60s, low 70s next weekend; cooler in the mornings obviously.

I usually feel the elevation, especially when you start out on a lung busting climb to begin with!

The meadow:

Heading down the bottom part of Mirkwood

Sample of Lower Southridge

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Looks good

Thanks for the pictures, looks awesome.

I'm weary of the elevation and having enough water on the long route.

That last picture looks like a fun section.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the pictures, looks awesome.

I'm weary of the elevation and having enough water on the long route.

That last picture looks like a fun section.
    I dunno, after like 15-20 mins of "I have to get off my bike AGAIN??" it doesn't become so fun

I believe they have two feed zones/aid stations on the course where you should be able to get more water/food.

Would you be racing the 30mi course?

bicycleonthebrain
    i pre regestered for this one. i'll be up there this sunday to pre-ride. never been there but from what pics i've seen, trails look really fun

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am in the sport class so I'm not doing the 30 miler. But I only have room for 1 waterbottle on my bike and I dont want to have to stop to fill the thing up at a fill station during the race. So I am still deciding what I am going to do about the water situation.

So after every 20 min. of riding there is a hikeabike? I thought that this was a great course?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am in the sport class so I'm not doing the 30 miler. But I only have room for 1 waterbottle on my bike and I dont want to have to stop to fill the thing up at a fill station during the race. So I am still deciding what I am going to do about the water situation.
    Camelbak or put 1-2 extra bottles in your jersey pockets.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I road the Beginning course last year and liked it a lot. I'm going Sport this year but have not pre-riden the course. Sport will ride the 19 miles course, not 30 miles. All the details are on the website here... http://www.idyllwildcycling.com/springchallenge.html

I'm going to be carrying a camel back with about 80 oz of water. Don't want to run low during the race.

Weather should be nice this weekend, low 70's I'm guessing. Its about a 2 hr drive for my as I live in South OC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm decided on the liquid situation.. I used less than 2 bottles at Sea Otter (18.92mi), but it was cold and windy.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by vzman
    i pre regestered for this one. i'll be up there this sunday to pre-ride. never been there but from what pics i've seen, trails look really fun
    VEEEEZ!!!! Tim and I will see you up there.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    So anyone actually have some feedback on the trail. I'm familiar with the keen climb and the exfoliator, rage thru the sage and tunnle of love, just haven't riden the higher up stuff that is going to be in the Sport Class route. I imagine this stuff will be pretty worn from the 24 hr race last weekend but maybe the cooler weather will bring some moisture to firm things up a bit.

Any downhill technical spots to watch out for or is most of the technical in the climbing? Climbs don't look real steep at around 500-600 feet over 2 miles or so but really depends on how techy they are as to how much leg strength gets used up getting through.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm I was not ready for that!!

I did the 19 mile route and it was the toughest course I have been on yet. Mostly due to the long hike a bike right in the middle of the course. The ride down was not worth that calf burning up hill walk.

Some of the downhills with the high berms were excellent. I ended up using both water bottles, but they lasted almost the whole race.

If I were to do this one again I think I would have to do some cyclocross training first.

Overall it was a good time, good people and a challenging course.

mtbr member
    Don't ever count out the 30 mile course. It was a blast as well!

See http://forums.mtbr.com/blog.php?do=showentry&e=2284

AL

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I did the 19 mile route and it was the toughest course I have been on yet. Mostly due to the long hike a bike right in the middle of the course. The ride down was not worth that calf burning up hill walk.

Some of the downhills with the high berms were excellent. I ended up using both water bottles, but they lasted almost the whole race.

If I were to do this one again I think I would have to do some cyclocross training first.

Overall it was a good time, good people and a challenging course.
    I was on the same course. Man, off the bike, on the bike, off the bike, on the bike. Never fealt like I could really get into a grove. The downhill was fun though. I almost ran over a pissed off rattlesnake going down. Exfoliator is my favorite trail.

What class were you in? I was Sport Clydesdale and pulled off a 2:27 for 1st place. I wasn't impressed with my time though and I know I could shave 10 minutes off that pretty easily if I just working hicking boots.

mechmann_mtb
    funny thing about that course...

i have ridden all those trails before in non-race situations. i have cleaned almost all of them (one of the few that i have not made was the left hand switchback that has all the rocks right after it), but during the race i was so tapped out. i just didn't have it in me to keep pedaling. i love the idea that they put in challenges like that. it really rewards the people that can still do the tech riding while racing. i have a ways to go to get there for sure!

i had a pretty bad race (chain dropped at the bottom of keen camp and i blew myself up trying to catch back up to the leaders, and then crashed a few times...) but still managed 4th in Sport 30-34.

next year i will do the long course... i think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    funny thing about that course...

i have ridden all those trails before in non-race situations. i have cleaned almost all of them (one of the few that i have not made was the left hand switchback that has all the rocks right after it), but during the race i was so tapped out. i just didn't have it in me to keep pedaling. i love the idea that they put in challenges like that. it really rewards the people that can still do the tech riding while racing. i have a ways to go to get there for sure!

i had a pretty bad race (chain dropped at the bottom of keen camp and i blew myself up trying to catch back up to the leaders, and then crashed a few times...) but still managed 4th in Sport 30-34.

next year i will do the long course... i think.
    Yeah, I can see you point. I was pushing hard too and was clearing some but so many people were stopping in front of me I had no choice. It was my first time on the course as well so when you're coming up to an obstable its difficult sometimes to really know what to expect on the other side.

4th in Sport 30-34 isn't bad. There were some fast riders out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had a blast! I knew the course would be tough. Hubby and I first road the Spring Challenge course (30 mi route) a week after the 2006 race. The course is a bit different now, but we rode the sport course again a few months following that, and then rode most of this year's course in early April.

I'd never race paced any of the course, but I knew I was in for a tough one. It was warm this past Saturday for race day, and the Sport women didn't take off until just after 11 am.

I took a Camelbak so I wouldn't run out of water (I still felt like I was going to run out!) and actually only had about half of my bottle of Cytomax.

Finished 1st (there were only 2 of us) in women sport 19-29 with a time of 2:06. I was kinda hoping for under 2 hours, but just couldn't push it any harder than I did! The final climb up the Demoralizer was TOUGH.

I'll be back next year!!

bicycleonthebrain
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    VEEEEZ!!!! Tim and I will see you up there.
    i saw tim on saturday. he said you were @ the 24-hour the week before. i was there pre-riding. hope to C'yua at the next one.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by vzman
    i saw tim on saturday. he said you were @ the 24-hour the week before. i was there pre-riding. hope to C'yua at the next one.
    Santa Ynez Classic aka Firestone?
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Any idea as to when the results will be posted on their website?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

some strong racers

It sounds like some people did really well on that course. I had never ridden it before and the hike a bike finished me. I had hamstring and quad cramps around mile 17.

I dont know how anyone could stay on their bike at race pace over a lot of that course.

I didnt see any rattlesnakes. I did the sport class route so perhaps I missed em.

Also my cable came out of my rear derailluer causing me to take 20 minutes and repair it. So my time was horrific, probably last in my class, but I'm just happy I got to finish.

Also I had more people crash into me in that race than any other, probably the frequent stops and the smushing between boulders had something to do with it, makes it all that much more fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It sounds like some people did really well on that course. I had never ridden it before and the hike a bike finished me. I had hamstring and quad cramps around mile 17.

I dont know how anyone could stay on their bike at race pace over a lot of that course.

I didnt see any rattlesnakes. I did the sport class route so perhaps I missed em.

Also my cable came out of my rear derailluer causing me to take 20 minutes and repair it. So my time was horrific, probably last in my class, but I'm just happy I got to finish.

Also I had more people crash into me in that race than any other, probably the frequent stops and the smushing between boulders had something to do with it, makes it all that much more fun.
    Rattlesnake was on the Sport course. He was probably the heck out of there by the time you came by.

When I was coming back down from the top I luckily got to experience all the pros flying by my on that loose techy downhill section. Man those guys were flying.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I did the 30 mile version. Lots of fun. Our first hike a bike was at around mile 2. Later on I just kept an eye on the riders ahead of me. If they were having problems or walking i just hopped off my bike. I just wasn't worth the effort to try and ride a technical section and dodge someone pushing there bike.
    The real pain was at around mile 17 going up this steeeeeep hill. And most of it was paved. There were a few people hike a biking up the pavement....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gregdr
    I did the 30 mile version. Lots of fun. Our first hike a bike was at around mile 2. Later on I just kept an eye on the riders ahead of me. If they were having problems or walking i just hopped off my bike. I just wasn't worth the effort to try and ride a technical section and dodge someone pushing there bike.
    The real pain was at around mile 17 going up this steeeeeep hill. And most of it was paved. There were a few people hike a biking up the pavement....
    I talked to one of the pro women who road that course and she commented on that same hill. Man, that must have been really steep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast