mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Idyllwild -- First Time

I'm headed up to Idyllwild this weekend for the first time. I'm going with the family and won't have much time to ride, but I'm looking for a recommendation on a good trail to spend 2 hours on. Looking for something that will give me a good taste for the area, as I'm sure I'll come back. I'll be alone so I don't want anything too technical.

Appreciate any suggestions for good trails that weren't affected by the recent fire.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Tons of really fun single track off of Tollgate rd on the west side off of HWY 243. Hurkey Creek has the goods on the East side, but a lot of it was damaged in the fires, not sure what is still open. Jump on Strava, a lot of the routes are named. Super fun area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It's not the best representation, but you can climb Little Thomas Mountain to Ramona Trail. There are some fun, but shorter, routes up by ISOMATA. The rest of the trails that are still open I think you need local knowledge!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah, unfortunately, most of the May Valley trails were damaged in the fire and are closed. That's all I've ridden, but boy was it good. Your best bet is to stop by The Hub (bike shop) and ask. Very friendly spot for local info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Definitely hit the hub! Ask them about the goods by the art school...very very fun! I fear May Valley is gonna get permanently closed to us...USFS looking for any excuse to shut us out

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely stop at the Hub when I get into town.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ramona trail or Hub stuff...sux cause u have to climb out after decending at hub. Cool trails for XC thoe. Forestry is sweat'n folks by hurkey creek for a head's up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Re: Idyllwild -- First Time

Thanks again. How about trail conditions? I know it has rained up there for a few days. In San Diego, that would mean no riding for at least a week, but not sure about Idyllwild. Just want to make sure it's worth bringing the Bike.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The trails at the end of Tollgate Road all are in good shape as of last weekend. I talked to my mom, who is in Idyllwild, on the phone last night and she said they haven't seen much in the way of rain these last few days. It will be a little dusty, but you should have plenty to ride. You'll be pissed if you don't take your bike!

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    The trails up there are mostly DG, so some rain is a good thing. The Hub does an Art School shop ride on Sundays--super fun.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey