Thread: Idyllwild Fire

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Idyllwild Fire

As you may have heard on the news, there is a massive fire in the Idyllwild area. As a So-Cal resident, I am hopeful first and foremost that there is no loss of life. There is a ton of amazing riding in that area, and I am hopeful everyone stays safe out there. Post up if you are in need and perhaps we can help in some way. There is a lot of smoke up, even where I am, and I'm at least 55 miles out from there. Be safe!

Idyllwild evacuated as Mountain fire rages south of Palm Springs - latimes.com

No known cure
    I flew directly over the fire Monday on my way to AZ, and unfortunately it looks like it was in the Hurky trail system.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

I'm your density
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    May 2009
    That picture of what looks like the "spine" with the bike on it is wild. I rode that trail two days before and the Idyllwild trails a few hours before the fire started.

Natty Dread
    Hello MTBR SoCal friends. Very sorry to hear about the fire and it's impact on the residents and the landscape. Glad that it's mostly contained. I had been thinking about making my first trip to Idyllwild on August 9th-12th but see now from Idyllwild Cycling site that many trails remain closed. Living in Nor Cal and originally from the East Coast I have very little experience with wildfire recovery timelines. Should I just forget trying to ride in Idyllwild 10 days from now due to the the lack of open trails? Thanks, FP.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Pedals View Post
    Hello MTBR SoCal friends. Very sorry to hear about the fire and it's impact on the residents and the landscape. Glad that it's mostly contained. I had been thinking about making my first trip to Idyllwild on August 9th-12th but see now from Idyllwild Cycling site that many trails remain closed. Living in Nor Cal and originally from the East Coast I have very little experience with wildfire recovery timelines. Should I just forget trying to ride in Idyllwild 10 days from now due to the the lack of open trails? Thanks, FP.
    The trails near the Idyllwild Arts Academy are all good. I saw a few other riders out there a few days ago. There were no signs saying they are closed.

There is a little yellow sign taped to a road sign at the start of Apple Canyon Road where you enter Hurkey Park that says "no forest access". It's easy to miss. A few of the cattle gates have caution tape to stop access, but many of the fire road gates off of the Highway are open, probably for fire vehicles, with no signage. I wouldn't risk it.

I doubt the Hurkey trails will be open any time soon. They have been looking for an excuse to close them lately and a fire is good enough for the powers that be. The fines are supposed to be serious.

There is a lot of little ruts from the rain that could be fixed with a little riding, but there is also a lot of burnt Manzanita and Ribbonwood branches on the more moonscaped trails. The fire vehicles also tore up some areas of the fireroads. This makes way to many excuses to keep Hurkey closed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Pedals View Post
    As mentioned the May Valley and Hurkey trails are closed but the Hub system aka Alvin Meadows behind the Arts Academy is open. The Hub bike shop can give you details or you could joun their Saturday ride. That would be good for maybe 1 day of riding or 2 if you don't get bored easily. But you may find more trails these days over at Big Bear area. You could do one day in Idy, and a combination of rides over at Big Bear and/or Santa Ana River trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Don't forget Ramona trail!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Is anyone riding the trails around Hurkey Creek? What's the latest word?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    Is anyone riding the trails around Hurkey Creek? What's the latest word?
    My understanding is they are closed and could be for sometime now!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by velo bum View Post
    My understanding is they are closed and could be for sometime now!
    That's what I figured Glenn. I get such a negative vibe from the Hurkey Creek campground guys that I didn't want to call them. The riding was good in Idyllwild tonight. I found a trail that I hadn't ridden before on the ridge way above the arts school.