mtbr member

Idyllwild conditions?

I was planning on heading up to Idyllwild tomorrow to ride Alvin Meadows for the first time. What are the riding conditions like, besides being cold?

mtbr member
    there's snow up there . if you don't mind snow and being hella cold , have fun.

mtbr member
    They had a foot of snow sat. night and it has been coolllldddd!

mtbr member
    If you're actually planning to ride in the snow, I suggest lose the clipless pedals (if you use them) and install grippy platforms instead. Cleats pack up with snow and ice on every dab; it'll drive ya crazy.
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi
    If you're actually planning to ride in the snow, I suggest lose the clipless pedals (if you use them) and install grippy platforms instead. Cleats pack up with snow and ice on every dab; it'll drive ya crazy.
    Platforms are ok for snow, but your shoes and the pedals still pack up.

Use Crank Brothers!!

mtbr member
    I guess I meant "spiky" more than "grippy", so you can scrape your feet & keep riding (hopefully). I've been using Time Atacs and I like them. They attach fine in snow (after a kick or two on a nearby rock) but once my cleats actually froze to the pedals. That was ahhh... interesting. How are CB's better in snow?
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    Well, went to the hub and rode up the Control Road. There was a lot more snow than anticipated, but it was sunny and warm enough to ride without a jacket. We couldn't find the ST, everything was covered with snow. We still had a good time, though. The Times and CB pedals worked fine. My pups had a blast playing in the snow. When we came back to the truck, we ran into to locals, both named Wayne. They walked us through a small track they called the "time trial" that was also covered in snow and invited us to come out for their Saturday morning ride that starts from the local bike shop owned/operated by Bud. We also met Bud, 78 years old, who still does the Saturday rides. Very cool locals. We're definitely doing a return trip