Don't skid

Idyllwild Camping

The wife and I are going to go to the Idyllwild Spring Challenge this year. I was wondering about where to camp. The website says Hurkey Creek Park. I looked that up and you cannot reserve any sites, its first come first serve. Anyone know how full that place will get on a Friday night? Are there any alternative campground I should look at?
    Thanks in advance.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    You can reserve sites there during peak months, off season is 1st come 1st serve. (Shouldn't be full)

Also Lake Hemet across the street has camping.

And Thomas Mtn has a few yellow post sites, but it's not developed camping and you need an Adventure pass.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It may just be due to the race. We reserved spots there about 3 weeks ago without a problem. No idea how full it will be for the race.

I'm not seeing anywhere that says you can't reserve?

http://www.rivcoparksreservations.or...pID=1&ParkID=2

Still a few spots open.

Don't skid
    Thanks for the replies.
    aword4you, that is what i was looking for. I didn't find that site. The only sites i found said first come first serve. This is much better.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Don't they also have a huge overflow area on the other side of the creek (bed)? Is it almost full too?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If anyone is still wondering about the camping at Hurkey Creek Park... I was down there last week for the 24 Hr race and one of the Rangers told me that the main area was almost full for May 12-13. The Idyllwild Spring Challenge is being held in the over flow area, or group areas, but they are now offering space in the north end of Group C for only $10. This is first come, first serve with no reservations.