mtbr member
    May 2004

Identify this #$&^@ plant in SD

Long story short, I was riding on Rnacho PQ trail, taking video with my camera, hit a sand pit and wrecked, landing on some plant on the ground which seems to have given me a bunch of red bumps at every point where a thorn entered my skin. It's been about 5 days now and still itches like crazy. The plant is about 6" tall and has small purple flowers as shown in the pictures. Can somebody identify it for me?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Just another Homer
    Yep, that's what we've always called it (Thistle) the stuff gets a lot taller then that and some folks have a real bad reaction to it, where others aren't to bothered by it. Personally I hate the stuff.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

What is it?

Looks like a weed. That OC trail needs a gardener. Think it's time to start scratchin'.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Gusto
    Looks like a weed. That OC trail needs a gardener. Think it's time to start scratchin'.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 05-18-2006 at 09:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks like it might be Italian Thistle........becoming a problem in a lot of places locally. Need to see a close up of the flower to be sure.

VP of Riding & Drinking

Looks like milk thistle

If the leaves have white veins then it would be milk thistle... I've seen plenty of it in the hills north of the San Fernando Valley.

It seems to like MTB riders in particular, I've frequently observed!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    die italian thistle!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Gusto
    How long has San Diego been in the OC????

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by TXMDGuy
    die italian thistle!
    smoking or eating it gives you no high whatsoever...
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

Bike Geek
    Just wait until it gets tall enough to scratch your legs as you ride by - you won't even have to fall on it to have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yep, I live in Rancho PQ and thistles are very common around here. I find them growing thru cracks in the concrete along the side of my house. One day nothing, a week later, some huge mutated thistle has sprouted. I have a special pair of leather gloves reserved for yanking those things cus I'm highly allergic to them. Pine sap tears me up too.

Poison oak on the other hand has a minimal effect on me.

right behind ya

Disle b thistle.

Quote Originally Posted by TXMDGuy
    Long story short, I was riding on Rnacho PQ trail, taking video with my camera, hit a sand pit and wrecked, landing on some plant on the ground which seems to have given me a bunch of red bumps at every point where a thorn entered my skin. It's been about 5 days now and still itches like crazy. The plant is about 6" tall and has small purple flowers as shown in the pictures. Can somebody identify it for me?
    I hate dat Shite. but does't f me as much as p-oak. I have a friend who fell full on in that cr@p and moaned like a baby the entire ride back to trailhead.
    hard line, hard line, hard line after hard line

CEB
    No horse'n round
    We had a load of that stuff in Sycamore last year after the big rains, this year it has not come back very big. It's the the poison oak that'll get ya!

over researcher
    I grew up on a 120 acre ranch just to the north of Mt. Shasta, CA. We had a lot of star thistle there. I've actually seen the same stuff in my neighborhood. It's not quite mature, so I don't know for sure. Bummer if it is. Then, there's bull thistle. That stuff sucks.

Regarding PO. I rolled through a bush yesterday. Not my bike, but me. My right leg was stained green from sliding through it. I'm really stoked over that!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Definately some type of thistle... I was riding a singletrack trail at Bonelli about a month ago that was overgrown with milk thistle. I came home with a bunch of little red bumps all over my legs. It took about a week to go away.

banned
    Apr 2004

That's Spiky Lettuce

Much better than running into Poison Oak.

mtbr member

You should

You should ride through it when it is six feet tall in PQ.

You'd think faster is better. Like a Band-Aid. And then for some reason you have this urge to stop. It is the pain that makes you stop. You then realize you are exactly half way through. The apogee. It then seems like you've been standing there for an hour. Because you are scared! You know it will hurt. In fact, when they are six feet tall the thorny %#&%@'s are big and you feel them right away.

Windex is very soothing for after the ride.

Glad to Be Alive
    I am no scientist but that looks like a weed to me......oh I stayed at the Holiday Inn express last night
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    Windex is very soothing for after the ride.
    It does go down smooth but it does have a bit of an aftertaste.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Say "thistle" 3 times out loud, and try not to sound like you're from Hillcrest!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~