Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

I ran across a snake the other night?

I recently was out on a short ride not to far from my house when I felt something hit the side of my foot. I rode down the trail for a few before I dismounted and I found it was a King Snake which was about 2 1/2 to 3 feet long. He was extremely agressive, he struck at me again several times, even though I kept a sizeable distance between us. When I got home and took off my shoe I found a bruise where he struck.

This is the second time this has happened to me.

The first time a 3 foot South Western DiamondBack struck at my shoe leaving to venom trails on the bottom of my shoe. Boy I was lucky that day.

Who out there has experienced close calls with snakes?
    Last edited by MTBforlife; 11-13-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typo

I eat cats
    I've seen plenty but the closest I have come to getting bit was back in June down off of Ortega HWY hiking up to Los Pinos Peak. I was hiking up a trail with a friend and I had just taken over being in front. It was about 9am and it was warming up. All of a sudden I heard the thing rattle and it sounded like a flower firework going off. I jumped back and ran about 10 yards down the trail high stepping like a cartoon character. He was curled up ready to strike me and my foot was less than 2 feet away from him. It was a Red Diamond and blended in with the trail very well. We thought he slithered into the brush but threw a few pebbles to see if he was on the trail still. As we walked closer we realized he hadn't left and was just starting to move away so even when we were looking for the dang thing we couldn't even see it. After it moved we continued past up to the peak but now our senses were on full alert. Bushes moving around made us jump, had that being stalked feeling the rest of the day. Other than that the closest I came was in high school paintballing in the local hills by my house. Saw 2 slither by while in the brush. No more bush whacking for me after that! Snakes and spiders, hate 'em! In fact after reading your story I might have to wear some sort of protection on my lower legs going forward..
    Last edited by Gordon Shumway; 11-13-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Autocorrect sux
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

I eat cats
    It was in this position:

You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    I almost mushed a 6ft red diamond at near darkness riding up the cowles mtn fire road the other day. The brightness was adjusted on the camera to compensate and I had the flash on for the poor lighting. This trail is a fire road wide enough to fit 2 fullsized fire engines side by side.....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    I a...

Photobucket

Photobucket

wow pretty....what is the black and white at the end of tail
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    wow pretty....what is the black and white at the end of tail
    Description of a Red Diamond from the interwebs:

Color and Pattern: Born grayish in color, the snake develops a more reddish color as it matures. Classically, its back bears diamond-shaped blotches framed with light edges. Like the other diamondbacks, its tail is encircled with black and white rings.

high plains drifter
    It was a good year for snakes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I ran across a snake the other night?-2010-265.jpg  

I ran across a snake the other night?-142.jpg  

I ran across a snake the other night?-img_1673.jpg  

I ran across a snake the other night?-img_1693.jpg  

I ran across a snake the other night?-img_1725.jpg  

Humble self-proclaimed nothing.

Gumnut Peddler
    I have seen a few snakes on the trails this year. They always give me the jeebies!

Closest I have come is on an evening run around the block. Was a bit bored, so was jumping on every palm frond I came across that was laying on the road.

Long story short, one of the 'palm fronds' laying on the road was actually a large King Brown snake. Somehow I managed to avoid jumping on it by pulling off a mid-air mario style jump. I did stop to turn around to make sure it wasnt my eyes playing tricks on me, and it was in fact a snake. A very very annoyed snake too.

Noticed a lady coming in my direction with her fluffy dog, and yelled out to watch out for the snake. I think she flipped out more than I did. She didnt even see the thing and too off screaming in the other direction.

I am hoping that will be the closest I ever come to a deadly snake!

Some info on our king brown snake:
    Pseudechis australis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have also had a snake find its way into my home brew cartons (left outside to carbonate quickly). It blended in really well with the colour of the beer bottles that it took me a while to reloacte it again after spotting it. Was in the process of moving them into the fridge. Same again for the ranger that came to take it away. He thought I was crazy until he pulled out one of the 6-pac sleeves to discover the snake wrapped up all around the bottom.

Again the snake was pretty peeved by the time we shifted all of the beers out of the way. Luckily it was only a tree snake - confirmed by the ranger.
    Burning fat, not oil.

mtbr member
    I remember about two years ago I was out on a night ride above Glendale when two of my buddies road past a rattlesnake in the middle of the dirt road (Verdudo Motor Way) and they didnt even see the thing. I saw it as I road up on it. This happened in February, weird.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Seemed like a big year out here in the 909 for snakes. During the Spring and early summer it seemed like I saw a rattler on every ride.

I haven't had any close calls like some of the stories in the thread. Seems like I usually see them on pavement sections between trails or on fire roads so there's plenty of time and space to slip by.

These stories about people spotting them this late in the season is giving me the willies. I just dropped down an old trail today I haven't ridden in two years. Apparently nobody has ridden it in two years because it turned into a bush wacking expedition. By the time I got to the other end, I had knocked five ticks off myself.

Best snake story I've got is my 3-year-old daughter found a gopher snake in our backyard. My wife started trying to shoo it away with a broom and I thought the scene was funny so I just watched. She gets it over to the driveway and it makes it's stand. Won't budge. Meanwhile, my dad shows up on his motorcycle, gets off, surveys the scene, walks over, picks the snake up and throws it in the neighbor's yard. Classic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyc View Post
    Seemed like a big year out here in the 909 for snakes. During the Spring and early summer it seemed like I saw a rattler on every ride.

I haven't had any close calls like some of the stories in the thread. Seems like I usually see them on pavement sections between trails or on fire roads so there's plenty of time and space to slip by.

These stories about people spotting them this late in the season is giving me the willies. I just dropped down an old trail today I haven't ridden in two years. Apparently nobody has ridden it in two years because it turned into a bush wacking expedition. By the time I got to the other end, I had knocked five ticks off myself.

Best snake story I've got is my 3-year-old daughter found a gopher snake in our backyard. My wife started trying to shoo it away with a broom and I thought the scene was funny so I just watched. She gets it over to the driveway and it makes it's stand. Won't budge. Meanwhile, my dad shows up on his motorcycle, gets off, surveys the scene, walks over, picks the snake up and throws it in the neighbor's yard. Classic.
    Out standing

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Way up trail in Escondido

Hi,

I saw this guy at the top of the way up trail in Escondido. He's smaller than that big red one but he's sneakier because he's in the shade.

Not sure if the picture will show, first time I tried it. Just an iphone pic so no zoom and I'm not a big fan of getting much closer
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I was talking with one of my buddies and he had a rattlesnake stike at his rear tire and get wrapped up in his rear wheel last Summer. He caught hell getting that almost dead snake out of his rear wheel. After he removed the snake he had to fix the tire because the bastard punched two holes into the side of the tubeless tire. When he removed the tire to put a tube in he found a pool of venom inside the tire from the snake. Talk about crappy

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i have lived in orange county all my life and had come to believe OC didnt have snakes but last week i ran into 2 red diamond rattle snakes in the same night!!! surprised the hell out of me considering i have hiked the same trail nearly a 100 times at all times of the day/night and hadn't seen a snake till now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    snakes.........aggggggg.

seriously, how slow are you riding that a snake can bike your foot?

i have bunny hopped them during the day and ran them over at night on accident.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    snakes.........aggggggg.

Rattlesnakes strike extremely fast and I am not sure about you but I don't usually see riders climbing at mach speed so I am sure it's easier than you think for a snake to bite (not bike) you as you ride by, regardless if you are going uphill or downhill. But I'm sure you are catching massive air most of the time putting you far above the snakes strike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    snakes.........aggggggg.

The first time I was struck I was flying down a trail in the Santa Anita trail system out by Sierra Madra CA.

The most recent strike I was on flat ground chit chatting with one of my buddies, at night , with no lights. We were riding kinda slow during the time I was struck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    [QUOTE=MTBforlife;9888876]The first time I was struck I was flying down a trail in the Santa Anita trail system out by Sierra Madra CA.

The most recent strike I was on flat ground chit chatting with one of my buddies, at night , with no lights. We were riding kinda slow during the time I was struck.[/QUOTE

really? cause i have had many pass by's with snakes and they have never ever been all coiled up ready to strike when i passed by. usually you have to scare them or really announce you are coming at them. by then you are long gone.

flying down a trail? and the snake magically jumped out in front of you?

at night when snakes body temp goes down and they are just laying on the hot part of the trail. they start to get cold and they don't move a lot, or fast, much less strike at people. i have accidentally run them over at night and looked back to see them still in a "V" where i ran them over.

i am sure if you just stopped or was moving slower than smallest granny gear and the snake saw you first, "then" it is believable that you are getting strikes.

most people are looking at the trail in front of them and see the snake first. if you didn't see the snake, then the snake probably didn't see you. your vantage point is much greater being high up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    Rattlesnakes strike extremely fast and I am not sure about you but I don't usually see riders climbing at mach speed so I am sure it's easier than you think for a snake to bite (not bike) you as you ride by, regardless if you are going uphill or downhill. But I'm sure you are catching massive air most of the time putting you far above the snakes strike.

sure lets go riding......... i am much faster going uphill than down, rarely catch any air, am lucky to be able to bunny hop the biggest of cali snakes and see them every now and then over the last 25 years of MTB riding.

snakes are fast, but are not waiting around every corner ready to strike. you have to make the first move or just be standing there.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=ascarlarkinyar;9888927]
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBforlife View Post
    The first time I was struck I was flying down a trail in the Santa Anita trail system out by Sierra Madra CA.

The most recent strike I was on flat ground chit chatting with one of my buddies, at night , with no lights. We were riding kinda slow during the time I was struck.[/QUOTE

really? cause i have had many pass by's with snakes and they have never ever been all coiled up ready to strike when i passed by. usually you have to scare them or really announce you are coming at them. by then you are long gone.

flying down a trail? and the snake magically jumped out in front of you?

at night when snakes body temp goes down and they are just laying on the hot part of the trail. they start to get cold and they don't move a lot, or fast, much less strike at people. i have accidentally run them over at night and looked back to see them still in a "V" where i ran them over.

i am sure if you just stopped or was moving slower than smallest granny gear and the snake saw you first, "then" it is believable that you are getting strikes.

most people are looking at the trail in front of them and see the snake first. if you didn't see the snake, then the snake probably didn't see you. your vantage point is much greater being high up.
    I live in the desert. When it is 100 degrees at night they are plenty warm. Snakes typically are night hunters.

I have ran into rattle snakes out here in February. You are probley think, Huh!!! Trust me I was thinking the same thing.

The first time the snake did coil up at the last minute, I was traveling so fast I could not stop. I did try to bunny hop over the think but the snake was able to get a shot off. I ended up crashing. I didnt even know I was hit until my buddy told me. I found the fang marks and venom trails on the bottom of my shoe during a self inspection after I picked myself off the ground. My buddy who was riding right behind me saw the whole thing. He had a better vantage point than I did. He saw the snake strike and everything.

The second time, was with a very agressive King Snake. After the strike I did dismount my bike to find the bastard. After I found him, I took my helmet off and placed it infront of him and he struck at it three times before he realized it was not me. I took a picture of the snake, Unfortunatly I am having issues loading it on the forum. Hopefully, I will figure out how to reformat the picture and post it, so stay tuned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I ran across a snake the other night?-2012-10-02_19-00-46_359.jpg  

I ran across a snake the other night?-2012-10-02_19-00-54_23.jpg  

Last edited by MTBforlife; 11-19-2012 at 08:46 PM.

I eat cats
    - They don't have to be coiled up to strike, that is their defensive position but if caught off guard they are still quick to strike.
    - They feel you coming from a distance, they are pit vipers..the 'pits' behind their eyes are enormous sensory zones.
    - Mountain bikers have and do get bit while riding by, it's a fact.
    7NEWS - Mountain Biker Tells Of Surviving Rattlesnake Bite - News Story
    - As MTB stated, when it's hot they hunt at night. They don't rely on sight but vibrations and their tongue which is used to smell.

mtbr member
    - They don't have to be coiled up to strike, that is their defensive position but if caught off guard they are still quick to strike.
    - They feel you coming from a distance, they are pit vipers..the 'pits' behind their eyes are enormous sensory zones.
    - Mountain bikers have and do get bit while riding by, it's a fact.
    7NEWS - Mountain Biker Tells Of Surviving Rattlesnake Bite - News Story
    - As MTB stated, when it's hot they hunt at night. They don't rely on sight but vibrations and their tongue which is used to smell.

Bring it back to BIO 101 my friend. I did post the pic of that King Snake. He was between 2-3 feet long. He struck at me while I was snapping the second pic thats why its a little blurred. The strike was lightning fast.

That little snake packed a punch, I still have a bruise on my foot

I eat cats
    ^You sure that pic isn't photoshopped? I mean.. It's nighttime when snakes are cold and lathargic. Haha. Cool pics btw!

mtbr member
    ^You sure that pic isn't photoshopped? I mean.. It's nighttime when snakes are cold and lathargic. Haha. Cool pics btw!
    This happened about two weeks ago, at night, the air temp was in the lower 60s.

mtbr member
    I know what you mean by lathargic. Out where I work, one of my co-workers stepped on a coiled up Mojave Green, he didn't even see it curled up next to the door of our building and stepped on it.I just saw my co-worker jumb back about 6 feet yelling snake. It is was so cold the snake did not have the energy to defend himself. My buddy was extremely lucky that day. The next day we bought him a new pair of underwear, as a joke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast