Always out of control, bu
    Mar 2008

I need some advise.

I have been riding bmx bikes for 25 years now. I've just sort of grown away from it. I recently picked up a 26" dirt jumper. I have been watching the sport progress and become more like bmx over the years. However, I'm lost on a few things.

I bought a slightly older and used KHS Dj-100. I rode it for the first time today and realized real quick that the gears had to go. That aside, I am curious on how I should be running the fork. I am used to a rigid from bmx so the suspension feels a bit odd. I plan on riding a lot of urban and some trails. How should my fork be set up? The dial on the left shortens or lengthens the travel, and the dial on the right locks the fork in place. Should the length be up all the way? or down?

Is it ok to ride the bike (jumping off ledges/stairs, etc.) with the fork locked? Or will this damage it? Also, is there a way to adjust the suspension to make it stiffer? I know there are allen bolts on the bottom of the fork legs. Do these have anything to do with adjustment? Or are they only there to hold together the inner workings of the fork?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
    I know that this is a newbie post but hey, gotta start somewhere right?

2 minutes turkish
    what kind of fork is it?

Always out of control, bu
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by locustfist
    what kind of fork is it?
    I'm not exactly sure. There is nothing on it.
    All the decals were pulled off.
    There are the letters "SL" on the bridge of the fork if that helps.

Here is a picture of the bike. I'm assuming it's the fork that came stock on it.