Thread: I need help!!!

Feel the burn!
    Jul 2009

I need help!!!

I just moved to Ventura at the beginning of December. I've finally gotten some time on the weekends to ride, but I don't know where to go. I feel like there should be a lot of trails close to Ventura, but it doesn't seem that way! Am I wrong?

I went to Lake Casitas yesterday, somehow believing that there were mtb trails there. I ended up riding up Sulphur Mtn Rd in the late evening. Almost plowed into 4 cows on the way down in the dark. Getting ready to head out to Sisar Road. While both of these drives are short, isn't there something that's less than 15mins from Seaward Ave. exit on the 101??? I can walk down to the beach at the end of my lane and look at the hills surrounding Ventura. Are there no trails there?

Help. Please. Thank you.
    =============================================

I like C9H13NO3

mtbr member
    I'm in the same situation as you, also near Seaward exit. The hills behind us are all private land AFAIK. You can make a very short loop with some dirt by riding up to Grant Park (by the cross on the hill). The Santa Monica mountains to our south (Sycamore Cyn, Malibu Creek SP, etc) have lots of riding but at least 30 minutes away and not very remote feeling. Then there's Santa Barbara to our north but probably an hour or more. You found Sulphur and Sisar, but there's also Gridley, Nordhoff Ridge Rd, and some other fireroads in that area.

Here's a few links that might help. I recommend Metal Mountain Bike shop on Main Street, Trevor's is the best shop around.

Ventura area Fire Roads?
    http://venturacountytrails.org/
    http://socalmtb.com
    http://metalmtncycling.com/bikeshop/

Overall, I'm disappointed with Ventura riding and anticipate a return to the Cresenta Valley area (Tujunga, La Cresenta) in the near future.

See you at the top.
    Oct 2005
    newbury park a shore drive away has some sick trails. I think it is part of the PT Mugu area. Great riding.
    Don't be the 13th inch. Keep single track single!

Buck Fush.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by XTERRAguy
    I ended up riding up Sulphur Mtn Rd in the late evening.
    I lived in Ventura when I first started getting into MTB, and yes the trails in Ventura are somewhat limited. Used to Ride Sulfur Mtn road cause it was close and a good way for me to train myself in breathing and cadence with that pretty even climb in the first mile.

Then I graduated to Sycamore Canyon in the Point Mugu State park. It is located off PCH at the south end of the county. From Ventura you can take the 101 to Rice and go south to PCH, about 20 min drive. I believe you can also access the trail system from the Newburry Park side.

There is a real leg burner call Guadalisco that has both a fire road side and a single track switch back side depending on how you like to climb and descend.

There is also a long trail that heads up into the mountains that some friends of mine did that takes you up near 5k above sea level. I don't know the name, and I did not go on that run, but I am sure one of the local bike shops must know what i am talking about, I think you can catch the trail north of Santa Paula or Fillmore.

last but not least I know there is a good amount of riding in Santa Barbara.

I hope this helps.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Feel the burn!
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the replies. At least I know I'm not missing something that's right under the nose. I did happen to find the Lower Red Reef Trail a bit up on Sisar Rd. I guess I will have to check out the stuff to the south for anything closer.
    =============================================

I like C9H13NO3

Beer Please!
    I think there is a trail up to 2 trees from one of the canyon parks up on the hills behind Ventura, but it might be a walking path only, I never looked into riding up there.

Also I once rode up to Devils Punchbowls near Ojai, that is not the longest ride in the world, but if you bring your trunks there is some great cliff diving and swimming pools and natural water slides up top.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    I read in MBAction that the US xc mtn bike champion lives in a condo on Ventura Ave, so it's not like this is Kansas or something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    You have to check out Venturacountytrails.org. Click thru until you hit the maps--this is an outstanding reference for MTB in the area. You get charts of elevation change, great directions and more. One of the best trail guide sites in SoCal.