mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I hate SRAM shifters! Need a local SRAM dealer.

Does anyone know a SRAM dealer in the San Diego area that possibly might know how to rebuild a a 2007 x9 shifter? I made the "common" mistake of undoing the bottom allen bolt on the shifter pod during what should have been a "routine" cable change. After I backed the allen bolt a couple of turns, I could feel the springs uncoiling and getting f'd up.

I've researched other threads and the best one that sort of helped was this one:
    Sram Trigger Shifter dissasembly

My shifter pod is the same one in those pics and I've been working on hours trying to get things back to normal. I've seen the sicklines website that goes over rebuildiing x9 derailers, but its of no use because those are 06 x9s. I've done cable changes with shimano, but not SRAM. Worse case scenario is I'll have to buy a shifter pod making this a real expensive cable change.

So going back to why I'm posting, does anyone know a SRAM dealer or a LBS that might be able to rebuild my shifter? Heck, if any of you can do it, I'll pay you for your help.

Help a brother out!

mtbr member
    And you're completely sure this isn't just a sign to convert that bike to singlespeed, right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    A single speed Reign X0 weighing 34lbs ... hmmm... lemme think about it...

mtbr member
    hey ed... i've been going to this mechanic in mira mesa... mike at north of the border bikeshop... he's cool and smart and know his stuff. he may be able to help you out....give him a call.

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by ifouiripilay
    hey ed... i've been going to this mechanic in mira mesa... mike at north of the border bikeshop... he's cool and smart and know his stuff. he may be able to help you out....give him a call.
    Mike is good. He got my bike dialed in before my trip to Utah this past weekend.

Have you talked to Orven? I think I've seen pics of you guys riding together on Ridemonkey. He's a tech whore (in a good way) that can probably help a brother out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels
    Mike is good. He got my bike dialed in before my trip to Utah this past weekend.

Have you talked to Orven? I think I've seen pics of you guys riding together on Ridemonkey. He's a tech whore (in a good way) that can probably help a brother out.
    Yah he's a whore (in many different ways). He rides exclusively shimano components. He always bags on another buddy who rides SRAM components on his ridiculously expensive bikes. Orven could probably figure it out given enough time, but I'd like to have someone w/ more experience w/ it. Plus, I don't want to listen to him preach about how much shimano is better than sram. After this weekend, he'd be preaching to the choir.

Plus that bastid was at Sea Otter this weekend.

I'll try giving Mike a call.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Another vote for Mike at NOTB. He is the greatest. When he fixes stuff for me he often shows me how. Probly not good for business but I send everyone I know to him.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Another vote for Mike at North of the Border. BTW, he is closed on Monday's.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    any competent mechanic should be able to fix it. I did my own and although it took about an hour, I finally figured it out. if I can do it, one skilled in the art of bicycle maintenance should be able to do it!

YR

mtbr member
    It sound like a pretty easy fix. There's not too much involved with Sram shifters. I've found them easy to work on and could maybe even help you out if you needed. PM me and let me know as I live in San Diego (University Heights).

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by edlubba
    Yah he's a whore (in many different ways). He rides exclusively shimano components. He always bags on another buddy who rides SRAM components on his ridiculously expensive bikes. Orven could probably figure it out given enough time, but I'd like to have someone w/ more experience w/ it. Plus, I don't want to listen to him preach about how much shimano is better than sram. After this weekend, he'd be preaching to the choir.

Plus that bastid was at Sea Otter this weekend.

I'll try giving Mike a call.
    Yeah, Orven could figure it out, but you are right that you would be the object of his ridicule during the process. Just hope he doesn't leave Ridemonkey and see this post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyn7
    ... There's not too much involved with Sram shifters. I've found them easy to work on ...
    i'd have to second that. i made the same mistake trying to just wing it when first working with SRAM X0 shifters. finally had to resort to the manual (OMG!!) but everything worked out. once you get over that though SRAM shifters are a breeze to work on. albeit lesson learned the hardway.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyn7
    It sound like a pretty easy fix. There's not too much involved with Sram shifters. I've found them easy to work on and could maybe even help you out if you needed. PM me and let me know as I live in San Diego (University Heights).

There's not a whole lot going on with them, but the torsion spring was tricky for me to align. there's probably a "trick" to doing it and after half an hour of ignorance I finally got things properly aligned.

YR

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    There's not a whole lot going on with them, but the torsion spring was tricky for me to align. there's probably a "trick" to doing it and after half an hour of ignorance I finally got things properly aligned.

YR
    OK I've got the exact same dumb headed problem. What the heck is the trick? I put in at least an hour and just got mad. The spring always uncurled too much around the bottom part of the shifter when I tried to put it in. Which hole do you put the end of the spring in? Any info you can share will be much appreciated, I am going to give this a shot tonight.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    OK I've got the exact same dumb headed problem. What the heck is the trick? I put in at least an hour and just got mad. The spring always uncurled too much around the bottom part of the shifter when I tried to put it in. Which hole do you put the end of the spring in? Any info you can share will be much appreciated, I am going to give this a shot tonight.
    See!!! I'm not the only one. Called 3 bike shops today and not one could guarantee they could fix it. 1 shop said he'd charge me $1 a min to fiddle with it, till he got it right,so I was better off just buying a new pod.

Fix your XO adrian, so I get get your old x9 from ya!

I'd love to offer you guidance grasshopper, but I fixed mine over 2 1/2 years ago so I ain't got no freaking clue what I did!

Good Luck.

YR

Trying a little
    I think I got it. just assemble it like in the pics. Do it in a bathroom or somewhere without carpet in case the little spring flys away. Coil the spring down in there, make sure it stays in, I had to hold it in with my thumb. Make sure the spring coils from bottom to top, bottom is as you are looking down at the shifter. Then place the silver lever on top, and I placed the L bend of the end of the spring kind of into the notch on the silver shifter, you can see where it goes. I don't think I had enough spring tension, but it seems good. I'll post an update tomorrow after a parking lot test.

Edit: haha I took it apart to take pictures and make sure I got it, and the little spring shot off behind the couch never to be found again.
    Last edited by dusthuffer; 04-22-2008 at 12:19 AM.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Lord of the Chainrings
    I need some little tiny "e-clips" for a SRAM X.0 rear derailleur.
    Anyone know where I can get them?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Woohoo!!!! All fixed now and good as new!!! I was ready to cry tears of joy after cycling through all the gears and back. I will never ever never ever never ever touch the bottom allen bolt of the x9 pod again! Thanks to my two compadres who sat with me and figured the damned thing out!!!

mtbr member
    Like Yeti Rider said, any competent mechanic could figure it out.. AHAHAHAHA. SRAM Attack/Rocket shifters rule...until I got my hands on the new rapid fire plus shifters..

--Optimus SRAM--

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    ...haha I took it apart to take pictures and make sure I got it, and the little spring shot off behind the couch never to be found again...
    Edlubba you better not pull this same ship with your newly fixed shifter unless you want ozzer to get on your case about how much better Shitmano is than SRAM BLAH BLAH BLAH.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    my sram rear shifter took a dump at the top of sullivan , and only one of about ten guys stopped to ask if i needed help. when he saw what i was doing, he offered some advice, and we agreed to limit out the rear der to a hard to pedal gear, and i made it back home. i called sram from my buddie's shop, and they agreed to send me a new shifter, i just had to send them the old one. i returned the old one, and they sent me a brand new pair! i am stoked, i have a front and rear now, sram is ok, and even though shimano might be a little more reliable, i hate the action.