Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I am absolutely terrified of snakes....

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  charlesinoc 
#1 ·
I must have encountered 6 snakes climbing up the Ken Burton Fire Road....

#2 ·
That's because they can smell and are attracted to fear! :D

The crazy hot weather kept them at bay or at least off the open areas (trails). Now that we are back to just warm or moderately hot you will see a lot more on your rides, especially if you are riding in the am or early evening when the snakes are most active.

Easy trick - give them space and go out of your way when you see one to avoid it and you won't get bit. Snakes don't hunt people in So Cal. If you were in Africa or Asia, that would be another problem all together.

#8 ·
I'm with AmassadorHawg on this. I've encouraged a striped whipsnake, baby gophersnake, and a southern alligator lizard off the trail in the past week in hopes they don't get run over. Bankerboy is correct that we are seeing a spike in daytime activity at this time of year. It was too hot in the summer for much daytime activity, but the cooler temps are allowing a lot more activity. For example, the fireroads in the Santa Monicas have 2-3x more snake tracks than they did 3 weeks ago, and many of these are being laid down in the mid to late afternoon instead of at night as they were in the summer. And heleninct, look at if from the snakes perspective. You are many times taller and heavier than any snake around here. The fear should be with the snake, not with us.

#10 ·
Helen,
While managing fear is a personal issue that I cannot assist you with over the internet, I can assure you that none of the snakes you encounter in SoCal will be aggressive. To them, you are a stomping giant to be avoided at all costs.

If you want to observe snake behavior, next time you spot one on the trail, stop. I assume you're doing that anyway. If the snake is lying there, walk up to within a body length. They couldn't strike you at that distance if they wanted to. Watch. If he realizes that you see him, he'll probably try to retreat to the nearest bushes. If he thinks you're after him, a rattler might coil up. That means he's afraid and you shouldn't move closer. No need to scare him further. Let him be. If the snake is blocking the trail, stand outside striking distance and stomp on the ground. The snake will retreat in the opposite direction. Whatever you do, don't try to hurt the snake. Don't let a bunch of knucklehead riders surround him, either.

What I find fascinating is that their behavior is predictable, just like any other animal. If we met on the trail, and I stomped around and acted threatening, you would probably coil up and prepare to strike. If you started taking a defensive posture, I would stay far away. Animal behavior is not all that mysterious, and if we take the time to observe, it's easier to understand.

#11 ·
^True what RustyIron is saying. A snake can only strike a maximum of half it's body length at best. Snakes would never attack you or chase you. They are not "slimy" to the touch, they are not demonic. A threatened snake would much rather get away from you than anything else.

Think of it this way. With out a doubt, a snake (or just about any wild animal you encounter) is actually more scared of you than you are of it. That may be hard to imagine, but it's true. :)

#15 ·
More rattlers = less plague. Plague is carried by fleas that are often at their highest densities in and around California ground squirrel burrows. Guess what prey item is the favorite of our local southern Pacific rattlesnake; yep, California ground squirrels. So healthy snake and other predator populations can actually help to keep ground squirrel densities and the fleas they carry lower.

#13 ·
Well I can tell you that a snake tried to hurt me once, in a singletrack the snake backed off and then went over me, she missed the target but it really tried.

Then later in that same track a snake was crossing, couldn't tell head or tail so I better did a bunny hoppe

I am not terrified of them but it seems they're not that terrified of me either

#16 ·
Just make sure you have a cell phone with you and call for help. They say stay as still as possible and wait for help.

If you can take a picture of that darn snake to aid with identifying type of snake and anti venom selection.

I'm no expert I just read about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.