mtbr member
    Dec 2009

HurkeyCreek Trail/MTB Bill questions

I thought Id seen every trail (except Satans Gut and Bonita Vista) from South ridge to the bottom. But apparenty I havent. In MTB Bills 2007 video at the very beginning a rider hollars out "Zee Roman Highway" What trail is that on?

Immediately following that up until 2:39 or so is another trail. Is that Ernie Maxwell?

And the sandy looking section immediately following that, what trail is that?

One more thing. I drove up last week and found Ernie Maxwell trail. I unloaded my bike and got to the trailhead and saw that bikes were not allowed on the trail. Has that always been the case?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can shed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yeah Ernie is now illegal to cycle on.(man's law). I'm not sure which video you watched...but there is another network of trails bt isomata art school. bathtub, optimator, oz, and the local dh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I didn't watch the video (recently anyway) but Roman Highway is a short rocky stint on one of the trails off May Valley. It's the Bonita Vista singletrack before you hit the forest service road and climb up Lower Southridge.

Ernie Maxwell I believe closed earlier this year. There are a lot of various singletrack offshoots from May Valley near Hurkey.

http://www.idyllwildcycling.com/stor...Directions.pdf