mtbr member

Hurkey Creek Update

Am thinking about camping & Riding at Hurkey Creek this weekend. Does anybody know if and what trails are open?
    I believe the area was hit by fires awhile ago, but I don't know the status of the area.
    Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    BS.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    call Brendan at the Hub Cyclery in Idyllwild and he'll give you the low down. he also runs regular shop rides on the weekends.

mtbr member

Hurkey Creek Update

I stopped by the campground last weekend and spoke to the ranger. Keen Camp Climb is open and you can ride part way thru Johnson Meadow, but it's an out and back.

Ranger said, and I've heard from others, that Keen Camp is kind of a mess from neglect.

I'm camping there this weekend and will find out first hand.

I rode The Hub Trails in Idyllwild last weekend. They're as good as ever. Lots of new stuff.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

Idyllwild is SMOKING(in a good way!)....

Yes, Idyllwild is better than ever! Over 30 miles/combined of trails:

~Optimator
    ~Upper/Lower Bathtubs
    ~Grotto Trail
    ~Drifter's Gulch
    ~Playground
    ~North Face
    ~Silver Crag
    ~Bear Trap
    ~Sleepwalker
    ~Toptimator
    ~Phantom Gulch
    ~Chimney Flats
    ~OZ
    ~Rattlesnake
    ~Swing Trail
    ~Mystic Creek/Mystic Dubbing
    ~Project X(100% DH)
    ~Lower Fence
    ~Top Rope
    ~Rusty Drum
    ~Left Trail
    ~Lots of Connector Trails
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Hurkey Creek Update

Forgot the best of the bunch, hellraizor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Hurkey Creek Update

So I camped at Hurkey last weekend. Keen Camp Climb thru the meadow to May Valley FR survived. Actually the last climb out of the meadow to the fire road just got touched by the fire. Better than I'd heard.

The trails are not in the best shape due lack of use/maintenance, rainstorms, and general winter mayhem that normally happens. There is a tree down on Recovery Trail.

I rode up May Valley FR and it's burned on either side up to about the water trough. I rode up to the Snakeskin turnoff, but turned around there to get back for lack of time. I'm thinking Log Pile survived. I'll check it out next time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    FYI- There's a also a good campground in town (with some boulder features in a few sites), and you can ride from there to Alvin Meadows.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pcemkr View Post
    Forgot the best of the bunch, hellraizor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    where is that?
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

ICPAYDIRT
    Here's an update on Hurkey Creek from a very reliable source I know who camped and rode there over the weekend. May Valley Rd. is now open. The stretch of trails from Hurkey Creek Campground which parallel the road, turn right to go through the meadow, and climb up to May Valley Rd. were not affected by the fires, some areas are a little bit sandy, not that unusual, just a bit more sandier than before. Once you get to May Valley Rd. and start climbing you will see the area has been heavily burned on both sides. Lots of signs saying the forest is closed and to stay out. This includes the trail to the right that passes by the oak tree that takes you to the short course, Exfoliator, etc, it is closed with a sign blocking the trail. The little spur trails that pop up periodically as you head up the road either no longer exist, or they dead end in the burned area forcing you back. The exception is the trail on the left that exists further up May Valley Rd., way past the gate, where there used to be a big pile of decomposing logs, I've heard it referred to as "Log Pile" trail, anyway it is in decent shape and takes you back down to a point back on May Valley Rd. near where the Southridge, Cahilla Cutoff, etc can be found. The downhill trails heading back in the direction of Bonita Vista Rd all end in a burned area. In the burned areas the ground gets very loose and deep with powdery trail, the old trail disappears, and if you have any sense you will turn back. Discouraged my friend headed back down May Valley Rd and turned left at Bonita Vista Rd. Once on Bonita Vista Rd you are in an area that may not be currently legal. As you head east on Bonita Vista Rd you will periodically see single tracks that exist on the left hand side, they may be unaffected but doubtful. To discouraged to try my friend continued on Bonita Vista Rd determined to see if the Missing Link has gone "missing". The Missing Link trail is interrupted periodically by burned patches. If you are careful and have experience with this trail you will most likely find your way. It's ok but not as good as it has been in the past and at one point the trail gets confusing, if this happens to you just remember that you will need to get up on to the spine of the ridge and ride the ridge line so, if you know what I'm talking about, you will look for the telephone lines that cross the start of the ridgeline and find your way up the ridge. After the Missing Link ridge line portion you are dumped out to the entry to the "Rage in the Sage" trail which is now more like "Cruise Through the Short Dry Grass" trail. All the sage is gone but the trail is still well defined. Sandy areas are even sandier and harder to get through than before but if you are familiar with this trail you should have no problems getting to the "Tunnel Of Love" which is not as good as she used to be, the trail is sandier and more sketchy after the fires but overall still enjoyable. Unfortunately when you get to the end of "Tunnel Of Love", getting back to Apple Canyon Road (the road which takes you back to the campground) is a little tricky and may even involve some bush wacking to get out to the road.

So that's what I heard from someone who was "on the ground". Oh and I also heard from some equestrians who said that they came up "Lower Southridge" and that it was technical and "in very good shape" so I'm assuming it survived. Good luck, if you go out there please post your updates.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ICPAYDIRT View Post
    Here's an update on Hurkey Creek from a very reliable source I know who camped and rode there over the weekend. May Valley Rd. is now open. The stretch of trails from Hurkey Creek Campground which parallel the road, turn right to go through the meadow, and climb up to May Valley Rd. were not affected by the fires, some areas are a little bit sandy, not that unusual, just a bit more sandier than before. Once you get to May Valley Rd. and start climbing you will see the area has been heavily burned on both sides. Lots of signs saying the forest is closed and to stay out. This includes the trail to the right that passes by the oak tree that takes you to the short course, Exfoliator, etc, it is closed with a sign blocking the trail. The little spur trails that pop up periodically as you head up the road either no longer exist, or they dead end in the burned area forcing you back. The exception is the trail on the left that exists further up May Valley Rd., way past the gate, where there used to be a big pile of decomposing logs, I've heard it referred to as "Log Pile" trail, anyway it is in decent shape and takes you back down to a point back on May Valley Rd. near where the Southridge, Cahilla Cutoff, etc can be found. The downhill trails heading back in the direction of Bonita Vista Rd all end in a burned area. In the burned areas the ground gets very loose and deep with powdery trail, the old trail disappears, and if you have any sense you will turn back. Discouraged my friend headed back down May Valley Rd and turned left at Bonita Vista Rd. Once on Bonita Vista Rd you are in an area that may not be currently legal. As you head east on Bonita Vista Rd you will periodically see single tracks that exist on the left hand side, they may be unaffected but doubtful. To discouraged to try my friend continued on Bonita Vista Rd determined to see if the Missing Link has gone "missing". The Missing Link trail is interrupted periodically by burned patches. If you are careful and have experience with this trail you will most likely find your way. It's ok but not as good as it has been in the past and at one point the trail gets confusing, if this happens to you just remember that you will need to get up on to the spine of the ridge and ride the ridge line so, if you know what I'm talking about, you will look for the telephone lines that cross the start of the ridgeline and find your way up the ridge. After the Missing Link ridge line portion you are dumped out to the entry to the "Rage in the Sage" trail which is now more like "Cruise Through the Short Dry Grass" trail. All the sage is gone but the trail is still well defined. Sandy areas are even sandier and harder to get through than before but if you are familiar with this trail you should have no problems getting to the "Tunnel Of Love" which is not as good as she used to be, the trail is sandier and more sketchy after the fires but overall still enjoyable. Unfortunately when you get to the end of "Tunnel Of Love", getting back to Apple Canyon Road (the road which takes you back to the campground) is a little tricky and may even involve some bush wacking to get out to the road.

So that's what I heard from someone who was "on the ground". Oh and I also heard from some equestrians who said that they came up "Lower Southridge" and that it was technical and "in very good shape" so I'm assuming it survived. Good luck, if you go out there please post your updates.
    Funny, there are only a few tracks on the Missing Link. Some that I saw must have been yours. A few others went off the trail into who knows where. Your post pretty much sums it up. The riding on most trails is sketchy at best. They need some riders wearing them back in.

Beer Please!
    Someone told me that is a good Shuttle Run that starts up in Idlywild and might end in Hurkey Creek, is that true?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.