Thread: Hurkey Creek

Gonebiking
    Apr 2004

Hurkey Creek

Has anyone ridden Hurkey Creek lately?? I am wondering how the trails will be for the 24 hour race coming up at the end of the month!!!

Jan 2004

Wink Adenalin course

Quote Originally Posted by Trekie
    Has anyone ridden Hurkey Creek lately?? I am wondering how the trails will be for the 24 hour race coming up at the end of the month!!!
    Hi all,

All the rain this spring has left many with few miles on the bike... trails throughout so cal are in poor shape. We have taken the approach not to jump in too quickly (rain continued for a long time) as the trails do in fact need a bunch of work. We will have a crew working straight through, once sea otter is over and we will be ready... registration is already past last years numbers, so join us for a run filled weekend.

team twenty4

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

rode it over Easter

It sounds like the trail will be ready for the race.

I rode it the Monday after Easter had a BLAST!! The first climb out of the parking lot has a lot of rutts, but is completely rideable...pick your line and just keep pedaling. The first descent there are a couple of mandatory off the bike water crossings. Then the meadow is cool as well as the climb to the fireroad. The descent after the f/r is rutted and extremely fun!!...if you enjoy hopping from side to side while riding the flow

Here is where you need to be cautious:

At the end of this descent you make that hard left and head for the stream before the next climb. The stream when I rode it was about 2 ft deep and flowing. I took my shoes and socks off and waded across some rocks that were maybe 8-12 inches deep.

After making your way across the stream the bottom half of the climb in unrideable for the first hundred feet or so. The rest is fun and flowy!!

I really had a great ride that day. Want to go back...soon.

As stated in the other post, they are working on the loop, so all my warnings might be just wasted black and white lettering.

Hope it helps if not,
    tep

mtbr member

Hurkey Creek Condition

Rode Hurkey creek this weekend and it was diferent than any other year. The initial uphill climb was techy and very rocky. From the rain running down. Very slow! the rest of the course was ok. very rutty and increased techy sections. The rain really did some damage out here. There is also water on the course. I normally do the course in about 52-56 minutes and it took me 1:10+.

Just another Homer

Trail

I heard is better then ever and has a little bit more technical challenge to it,which most of us approve of.My problem is with the weather.Those 3 am laps with the temps 40 and below will keep me and most my friends away. I've done Hurkey in September 5 times,but I'm now looking for warmer races. Tep, we got to ride together again soon.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Gonebiking
    Apr 2004
    Thanks so much for the info. Did the 24 hour race last year and it was pretty dry with just 2 H2O crossings. Am worried about the water this year. It kills the bike.

Gonebiking
    Apr 2004
    How well do you think the 24 hour guys will clean up the trail before the race?????

Warrior's Society
    How well do you think the 24 hour guys will clean up the trail before the race?????
    Well they did the same thing just before the 24hr last Sept. We had the week of rain just before it. They went through and did some repairs on the downhills. Problem was.....all they did was fill in the ruts. Soil did not get packed down. So before the race was half over, the ruts were back....surrounded by loose soft dirt.

mtnbikej

mtbr member

Hurkey Creek Update!

Rode Hurkey Creek with my team this weekend. There is no way this trail will be race ready for this month. The initial climb is rocky, muddy, and wet. Be careful of the first G-out at the top of the climb. It is about 2 ft deep and has water flowing in it. The course through the meadows is very nice. The uphill after the meadows is ok. definatley rutty but rideable. The downhills are rutted and rocky. You cn tell motorcycles have been through here and tore it up. After the first downhill there is a couple flowing sections. There are now a couple of bridges made over some water crossings (nice job). The Moonscape uphill sucks. Babyhead rocky and loose. very techy and not so much fun. The downhill after moonscape definatley is dangerous but alot of fun. Got a little banged up but had some fun. The manzanitas are beauiful. There is a river crossing once you get to the end of the woods. The water is about knee deep. The last uphill and singletrack section is in good shape and fun (watch the right side ruts). The last water crossing before the campground is deep and long. Not sure where they will redirect the racers. Anyway hope this little report helps. Good luck to all the adrenaline racers. Well be out at Vail lake this coming weekend for Granny Gear'S 24HR RACE.

Only need One

Fun@Hurkey

Hurkey is as fun as it gets. A little more techy and some hikeabike in sections that were normally speedy.