mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Hurkey Creek 24 hour race SS advice

I am planning on riding the 24 hour race late April on my SSpeed. No no not the 24 hour solo just the 8 hour...gotta walk before you can ride .

Anyways, looking for gearing advice for the course. I have done it before and was up there last week. The course was a mess with a lot of trees on the first uphill so you have to go via the road until it all gets clear. I think the first hill and the second one post the meadow will be a lot more open than in years past.

I was thinking 32*20 but looking for SS experience on this course.

banned
    52x13

mechmann_mtb
    my wife rode it last weekend with 32X20. for endurance racing i wouldn't gear much higher, maybe 32X18.

moe.
    Sep 2005

What's going on at Hurkey Creek?

I was up there a week ago Friday when it was hot. The first up hill was being bulldozed. I am not sure why but one heavy equipment driver said he was a rider.

Back to the thread I have ridden 32:20 and its a little light. I will try 32:19 or 18 next time I ss up there. I didn't know there was an 8 hour solo option for the 24 hour race. That is tempting.
    "These people take a dump thatís a bigger difference than the a 5 Spot and a Blur LTc." DT

mechmann_mtb
    yeah they have 8 hr solo and duo for the race this time. the wife was talking about doing it. the bulldozing was part of the fire abatement thing that they are doing. it sucks but i guess that is just part of it all.

moe.
    Sep 2005

The heavy equipment operator said that they

Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    yeah they have 8 hr solo and duo for the race this time. the wife was talking about doing it. the bulldozing was part of the fire abatement thing that they are doing. it sucks but i guess that is just part of it all.
    ...were going to go back through and put some rocks in but it certainly won't be what it was-at least for a while.
    "These people take a dump thatís a bigger difference than the a 5 Spot and a Blur LTc." DT

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

2 cents...

If I was racing it, my choice would be 32-18. That is what I have usually ran on that course. I run 32-20 at the Temecula 12hr course (Vail Lake) and it is butt ass'd steep...but I ran 32-18 in Jan and it didn't exactly kill me. But it was a hump. Hurkey creek has a good amount of rolling and or flat sections and 32-20 will burn you out trying to make pace. Just to be safe, keep a 20 pit side with a big wrench and change mid race if it feels like you can't stay on top of the gear.

This is all based on a 26'r...add 2 teeth for a 29'r

Good luck....
    Eric

"Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you're trying to place at all don't go with a 32x20 if you're riding a 26" bike. You'll spend way too much time falling back from your gearing.

Me, I'm not a really strong rider, and after a really long road ride the day before, I still walked parts of two of the climbs with my bike in 32x20. But, spinning out with the 20T wasn't really working. If you can't climb everything - get off an run! At least you'll be better equipped to keep up on the flats.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

yes....

Thank You aw4y,

As he said....So we now know what you should do

Oh...and kick some butt
    Eric

"Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit"