Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

How was Snow Summit??

I'm hoping that any of you that got up there will give the rest of us losers an update!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I was pleasantly surprised. Two new trails open under the lifts, miracle mile and cruiser. Miracle mile and upper cruiser are billed as expert but I would characterize the first as early advanced and cruiser as advanced intermediate. Really nice twisty switchberm action throughout with a few small jumps and two small drops. Two stepups that can be rolled or popped. Both these trails are on the smooth side for big bear.

All the old stuff appears to be there still and are a nice contrast with more of the rocky oldschool feel. Overall, I thought it was worth the 32 bucks.

I do hope they put in some solidly advanced and expert trails as well. They are planning on doing a lot more trails over the summer and next few yrs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So would you rec a 5-6 inch bike over a dh bike? Planning on heading there at least once this year. Based on the vid by jason on the other thread, looks like a trail bike would be perfect instead of a full on dh sled, correct? Lets hope this is the beginning to a full on gravity park for years to come.

Professional Troll
    I talked to a friend who grew up in Big Bear back in the DH heyday and is a solid upper-expert level rider, and had this to say about the trails "they are SO fun". So I'm stoked now!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rhynohead View Post
    So would you rec a 5-6 inch bike over a dh bike? Planning on heading there at least once this year. Based on the vid by jason on the other thread, looks like a trail bike would be perfect instead of a full on dh sled, correct? Lets hope this is the beginning to a full on gravity park for years to come.
    yeah I was wondering the same thing watching the videos I saw on youtube. It seems like an all mountain style bike 4.5-6" of travel may be a better ride down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah, I think you would really like the trails...a bit of Mammoth with actually better designed berms and switchberms. They didn't use pavers on the berms and appear to be trying to keep them watered. You can carry pretty good speed through everything, an there are a few opportunities for an expert rider (definitely not me!) to get some good air, especially on the first stepup.

A good comparison would be to think of twilight at mammoth but much narrower and almost all natural dirt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    To the other poster, a mid travel bike would be fine, but I would guess that it would be twitchy and unstable cuz of the steepness and loose soil. I brought my 8 inch monster and didn't feel overbiked, but I am by no means an expert.

I was riding behind a guy on a mid travel bike who was carrying pretty good speed until he hit the rise after the long paver berm swoop. High speed Endo with a very impressive ninja roll popping up to his feet!

Also, looks like all the old stuff is there too, if that impacts your bike choice. I found the rockier old stuff to make a nice contrast to the two new trails.

mtbr member
    Take your DH bike. My trance handled everything fine but I regret not taking a DH bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah take your DH bike, I regret not taking mine. I rode an Ibis Mojo. Trail was loose dirt like Mammoth

mtbr member
    See for yourself, this was yesterday:

We did this ride:
    Strava Segment | Big Bear Shootout 2012 Pro loop

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I ride a Carbine with a DB coil rear and Lyric RC2DH 170mm in the front. This was almost perfect for Summit on Sat. Sure you can go a little faster with a dh bike but not by much. I prefer a 6" bike for all but 1 of the off mountain trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    the only bike i have is an enduro, i rode it all day sat and sun and i didnt feel like i needed any more bike for the new trails. as for all of the other off property trails, there was one super rocky section i hiked, but i can live with that.
    one of my friends was riding a status and felt like he had too much bike and will be bringing his stumpy evo with a 160 fork next time.

as for the new trails they were a blast! i will be up there a lot this summer, and cant wait to see what else they come up with.
    Juice

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    I talked to a friend who grew up in Big Bear back in the DH heyday and is a solid upper-expert level rider, and had this to say about the trails "they are SO fun". So I'm stoked now!
    they are a lot of fun...rode half day on Sunday and bought a year pass...the trails have a lot of flow...nice berms to compress off of.....needs an A-Line or Livewire type trail and they will have a really nice mountain
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    DH bike for sure. I had my x-country on the upper sections of cruiser but once you hit the mile, it got pretty technical.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks everyone who has been posting! We're really excited about the trails that we have up and running and can't wait to develop more throughout the summer and for years to come!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thank you guys for doing this!!!! Any plans for a practice drop/jump area, skills area, and/or pumptrack?

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Summit View Post
    Thanks everyone who has been posting! We're really excited about the trails that we have up and running and can't wait to develop more throughout the summer and for years to come!
    Snow Summit now has an account on the boards? **** just got real..
    ~Always avoid alliteration.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NearlyFr...ew=0&flow=grid

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great work!!! keep it up! Coming back this sat for more. So Cal has been waiting for something like this for too long...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Trail bike no, all mountain will work, DH definitely preferred. I rode my Mojo HD with coil and had a blast, but wouldn't have minded a little more bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yep...should have most of what your asking for, I believe the pump track will be built soon.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    As for the pump track, it's not in the works this season but this is definitely a 5+ year project and we'll see what the future holds...

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Summit View Post
    As for the pump track, it's not in the works this season but this is definitely a 5+ year project and we'll see what the future holds...
    Perhaps an official idea submission thread?
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    I want to take the kids up but I don't want to go into this blind. They were comfortable at Mammoth riding Off the Top, Paper Route, and Big Ring. You really can't tell from the videos, how do the SS trails compare?
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Went last Saturday and it exceeded my expectations. The trails were really well built and a lot of fun, well worth the drive up. Rode a DH bike and had a blast, there are a few features I really liked. The only thing I wished is that they did a better job of informing the kids/families/renters to respect the "expert only" trails, because it isn't safe for them. There were a lot of people who appeared to be in over their heads that were stopping on the trail above steep parts to look down, cutting parts of the course, ect. Maybe some employees could stand up there in the morning at the entrances and ask people who appear to be under prepared whether they're experienced riders and offer suggestions. Other than that, It was great and I'll be going up there again this Saturday.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Is there any kiddie/family friendly trail there, or in the works? It would help in convincing the family we have to go to Big Bear for vacation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast