Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

How many of you remember Supergo?

I had to buy some bike stuff, and wondered about that. Mail order prices with the ability for walk in pickup. You could fondle parts before buying them. They actually had stuff you wanted to buy and were well stocked. Unlike Performance that bought them.

Their sales staff sometimes were bad, but some were decent. The worst thing was the supermarket like checkout. All in all, it was a good business model. Pricepoint won't allow for walk in pickups. Never been to Jenson.

mtbr member
    Heck,I remember Bikology... I liked SuperGo a lot, but the Shimano crackdown spelled the beginning of the end and it was sure predicatable that Performance would wind them down.

I <3 Dirt
    I'd drive all the way from east county to Supergo in North County for their big sales. Amazing prices....

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Funny thing, I've been thinking/remembering supergo lately, I loved that business. They mostly had great stuff with great pricing as well. Nothing like those stores exists presently in our area.

mtbr member
    I bought my first DH bike there! I could never afford a full on DH rig until I went to Supergo...I found an Iron Horse SGS for $1,200.00

After a while I got a Shiver for the front and put an MRP on it too. It was a 54 lb DH monster!

It wasn't the best bike but it got me started for sure! I also got no interest for a year and paid it off way before the year was up. You could actually go to the store and find the things you needed. Performance blows goats.
    "Well I don't drink as much as I ought to."

~Jerry Jeff Walker~

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I liked Supergo

I bought two frames from them and numerous parts. Frames still being ridden. Son pounds the Weyless 67 and wifey rides the Weyless SP on the paved path.

mtbr member
    Sure,

It's what people used to b!tch about before we had Beyond Bikes.

That said, I bought my first yeti from them and I still have it albeit it doesn't get ridden in its present state. Great bike for a good price at the time.

mtbr member
    Used to drive from Upland to the one in Santa Monica to get bikes, probably bought 2 there(Nishiki Ariel late 80s ? and an earlier one the escapes me), always had good mail order ads before the internet. Then when I moved to SD the North County one was still open bought a Gt Adv 1.0 in 98 right before GT BKd and in 2001 an FSR Enduro comp, as said always well stocked and great bargain bins. The other thing that led to the demise of Supergo, I remember getting a notice on a flyer from the owner saying his wife had gotten cancer and died and he didn't have the passion for it anymore, I think Performance already owned them by then but they wound them down soon after..
    Last edited by socal_jack; 12-17-2009 at 04:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    They always had some thing at a great price.Performance has bought out way too many good bike shops. But back to Supergo I agree that their sales staff wasn't always the greatest but I could always kill an hour walking around that store. They had a lot of stuff and it was big compared to most bike shops. Their ads could get people to drive 30-40 just to check them out.

mtbr member
    SuperGo is where I bought my current ride, a 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert. Got $500 off. I really liked that place.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Did the mail order thing when I got into MTB while I was back east on TDY.
    They died before I got back out here though so I never saw the storefront.

Performance hasn't been totally bad but seems much more focused on roadie stuff overall.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Bought a Specialized FSR and road bike at Supergo in Santa Monica. Loved the place. Continued shopping at the Oceanside location when I moved to San Diego. Hated to see them succumb to the monster Performance. My first "real" bike shop.
    If not biking, then what?

gone for a bike ride

Supergone

Supergo Santa Monica was just a few blocks from me on the same street (i'm still here they are not sadly) since the takeover i've become an expert in finding the best prices for bike parts on the internet

biggest purchase from Supergo was a custom frame build 04 S-Works Epic paid off in installments, funny i was just out for a spin on it an hour ago & was using a freebie SuperGo water bottle!

..........edit to change pic for a current one............
    Last edited by culturesponge; 01-04-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Beer Please!
    I still ride my 2002 Enduro Pro I bought at Supergo Santa Monica. I loved that place.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Working Man's Toilet
    I loved supergo- they ALWAYS had killer deals, ALWAYS. I wish they would come back, Performance blows. Pricepoint is great, but I love to browse. Jensonusa's store is better than nothing, but not worth a drive from San Diego; Supergo would be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I got a Specialized Enduro from them during one of their no sales tax day sale event for half the MSRP.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ...I was lucky to be a co-founder of the Supergo - Clif Bar team.
    Loved their business model...it was always fun to visit the storescuz the stock and prices rocked.
    Grand claims demand grand proof.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I don't know how they managed to get prices so low. Some of the parts were shrink wrapped in plastic with Supergo packaging. I bought Shimano brake levers and a Thomson stem that way, not that I'm complaining.

High volume, low price like big box stores? It was a unique store for sure. No other bike shop would allow you to have easy access to their products. Everywhere else they kept stuff behind the counter, and in some cases, had to special order a size.

mtbr member
    Performance is like Wallmarts idea of a bicycle pro shop if that makes any sense, crappy products that come with great customer service and no questions asked warranty's! But yeah another vote for "Supper Go" they were like a candy store with endless options and great deals on the parts you actually need sold by people who actually rode bikes.

And for the guy from SD hows Bike Bling? and yeah Jenson is a bit far to drive for bike parts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    Sure,

It's what people used to b!tch about before we had Beyond Bikes....
    Not quite the BB level of venom but at least Performance level of hate from the haters. Funny all the warm and fuzzies being posted this time around.

I loved the place, pricepoint and jensons come close but supergo still was the best place for us cheapazz bikers.

wheelie king
    Supergo was awesome. My friends and I bought a ton of stuff at the Santa Monica store. They always had a lot of cool stuff to look at and prices were incredible. I shed a tear when Blowformance took over. I'm pretty sure one of the managers from the SM store owns/runs Cynergy Cycles also located in Santa Monica. Remember the "Moonlight Madness" sales?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyraid
    I had to buy some bike stuff, and wondered about that. Mail order prices with the ability for walk in pickup. You could fondle parts before buying them. They actually had stuff you wanted to buy and were well stocked. Unlike Performance that bought them.

Their sales staff sometimes were bad, but some were decent. The worst thing was the supermarket like checkout. All in all, it was a good business model. Pricepoint won't allow for walk in pickups. Never been to Jenson.
    The first time I went in there (maybe '89 or '90, the original store on Santa Monica or Wilshire), they had at least 7-8 orange Klien Attitudes and 1 in red white and blue...drool! Couldn't afford one at the time but I became a good customer and I am still riding one of their house brand hardtails. Those stores had character...unlike Performance which is more corporate and blah.
    Romani ite domum

wheelie king
    It was on Wilshire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Bikes since 1970's:
    1) Nishiki 10-Speed. Got me from WLA to Malibu and Hermosa and back and everywhere for years.
    2) Schwinn Le Tour Deluxe. Again, covered all of LA pre license and post license/ pre-college. Primary ride for getting to Venice and pre-rehabbed 3rd st. Promenade for break dancing. The stores used to put boards out for us to dance on. I think there's a bunch of movies we were all in that shot there.
    3) Mongoose (added Redline fork). Crushed the pre-Getty Whoops and all over Santa Monica Mtns. Pure love. Paid for with money made while working at Licorice Pizza/Sam Goody. I quit Sam Goody but my manager told me I was about to be fired for recommending some young kid watch "I Spit On Your Grave" and "The Toxic Avenger."
    3) Finally, my Supergo MTB, the only ride from my youth still in operation. The concept of a Mountain Bike was new and stunning and saved up all summer (maybe 2) to have one to bring east for school. Was put through true hell all over the Adirondacks in pre-suspension days. Currently lives in Mammoth as commuter for visitors at a friends house I sometimes can score accommodations at. Thusly, it's still paying dividends. Loved Supergo. Had a long relationship with Helen's before that which ended for some reason or another (I think it had to do with Mushroom grips on my Mongoose or something, I can't remember).
    Supergo was great.
    FWIW Athena Cycles in Studio City is pretty superb. Howard is as pro-consumer as it gets. It's the anti--I Martin.

Working Man's Toilet
    Quote Originally Posted by markskee
    And for the guy from SD hows Bike Bling? and yeah Jenson is a bit far to drive for bike parts.
    I have yet to go into Bike Bling- I am at the point where a 20-30min drive is not worth saving 20%. Unlike my college days when I would drive from San Dimas (where I lived) to Santa Monica then to Fountain Valley in OC to check out BOTH Supergo shops. But then again, the savings at Supergo was usually 50% or better. I still have an XTR 8 speed cassette in the BOX with a Supergo blow-out sticker $30.... what a DEAL!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast