Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

How to catch a saboteur?

In the recent months, someone has been constantly placing rocks in my favorite trail. What gets me though, is that they are always in turns, or placed in a manner with the sharp side up.
    I'm fairly confident that it is most likely a hiker that had a scary incident with a biker and has decided to try and make like as hard as possible in the trails.
    Up until this point, I've always taken the time to stop and remove the rocks and took it as my chance to make it as hard as possible for this person to see the glory of their hideous work. One day I clear the trail, the next they may come through and place some more on..... It keeps happening.
    So.... What do you guys think? The last thing I want to do is ever have an incident where police, rangers, etc are involved. But man, I'd just like to catch them placing these damned rocks so I could out them and know who it is.
    Last edited by mbell; 06-23-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    police need to get involved...take pictures..catch him then call police...because if someone else finds him doing that then the guy will be calling police after leaving hospital
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Workin for the weekend!
    Trail camera, like what a hunter uses. Put up in a tree, out of sight in the general area. Motion activated.
    Todd

official eMpTyBRain
    Set up a hidden stake out position and when the perp returns to cause more damage, approach just close enough to take pics or video in action and then immediately leave. Do not make verbal contact. Share your pics and file a report with your local police or ranger if it's within their jurisdiction.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A land mine?

mtbr member
    Mt. Wilson? i like the idea of the trail camera, though.
    Last edited by 2w4s; 06-22-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    I'm wondering if this is in the Rocky Peak area? There was a confrontation in the last few weeks there and it was another biker, not a hiker....that's all I will say for now. He is a physco...please be careful. Thank you for taking the time removing them so no one else gets hurt.
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    whoa, plot thickens. i recently moved to the area and have an idea who it might be from an encounter years ago with a fellow rider. GGR, can you provide a physical description of the person? pm's work, thanks.
    nothing witty here...

Unpredictable
    You should all be sharing information about physical description and possible access and exit points. If you are uncertain the person in your description is to blame, just say so. Hawg is right with his general advice.

+1 for getting the cops involved. We have a loony here who has been escalating his sabotage and a few of us have been hurt. We know what he looks like and there are hidden cameras, but so far no-one has been apprehended. If our boy is caught by the wrong group of riders (like those whose bridges he destroyed multiple times), he may get some bush justice. There's some seriously heavy dudes looking to turn him into a bad smell. That is not what I would recommend and certainly would be hard to defend if caught on one of the hidden cameras.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Trail camera, like what a hunter uses. Put up in a tree, out of sight in the general area. Motion activated.
    I think this is a great idea. It doesn't seem feasible to sit out near a trail for hours at a time. But it sounds like the sabotage is happening at predictable locations, so it should be fairly easy to find a place to put a camera to catch whoever is doing this.

Cameras aren't cheap, though. I'm not sure the best price, but here is one:

Wildgame Innovations Razor 6 Flash 6MP Camera : Cabela's

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The 808#16 camera records in HD and can be flashed to record motion only (i.e. a 'game' camera). It sells for <$40 and is the classic solution for HQ cheap helmet cams, DIY game cameras for under-funded bio researchers, and FPV remote controlled aircraft a.k.a. 'drones' due to the live video out tap. I have around 7 of them, some more damaged than others from various uses and highly recommend them due to their combination of very customizable firmware, lens options, decent video quality, and price. One of these would be perfect to collect some data. They can be modified to record IR (night vision) for <$10.

Real 720P H 264 DVR 808 16 Car Key Chain Micro Camera HD Helmet Cam Camcorder | eBay

custom firmware download:
    #16 Home

hacking info: 808 Car Keys Micro Camera Review - Version #16

IR filter hack: Simple and cheap near IR conversion of the wide-angle HD 808#16D camera - KAP Discussion Page

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The trail I'm referring to is in the Poway area. Thanks for the info, I don't have time to camp out and really don't prefer to have the police involved. I feel like any attention given to the area may cause I unwanted interest from other law enforcement agencies and could possibly lead to trail closures.
    As much as I ride, I'm due to find some info on who it is or eventually run into them in the act.
    Until then, I'll keep my eyes out and tell as many people on the trail that there is a person of interest out there that needs to be stopped.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell View Post
    I feel like any attention given to the area may cause I unwanted interest from other law enforcement agencies and could possibly lead to trail closures.
    If this is a legal and open multi-use trail, why would that be the case?

The feeling I am getting is this is NOT a legal trail.......
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    I've always taken the time to stop and remove to the rocks and grated it
    I don't want to sound jaded or anything but i dont get this post at all. On any given day and at any given trail, there will be rocks! This is Socal after all. Why are you removing these rocks? Can you not jump over them? ride over them? ride around them?

i can see if its a man made "trip wire", boards with nails or "Rambo" traps. otherwise, leave it alone for **** sakes. You shouldn't be "grating" rocks. Thats just absurd!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G. View Post
    I don't want to sound jaded or anything but i dont get this post at all. On any given day and at any given trail, there will be rocks! This is Socal after all. Why are you removing these rocks? Can you not jump over them? ride over them? ride around them?

i can see if its a man made "trip wire", boards with nails or "Rambo" traps. otherwise, leave it alone for **** sakes. You shouldn't be "grating" rocks. Thats just absurd!
    Nice troll post Barcy

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_rider View Post
    The 808#16 camera records in HD and can be flashed to record motion only (i.e. a 'game' camera). It sells for <$40 and is the classic solution for HQ cheap helmet cams, DIY game cameras for under-funded bio researchers, and FPV remote controlled aircraft a.k.a. 'drones' due to the live video out tap. I have around 7 of them, some more damaged than others from various uses and highly recommend them due to their combination of very customizable firmware, lens options, decent video quality, and price. One of these would be perfect to collect some data. They can be modified to record IR (night vision) for <$10.

Real 720P H 264 DVR 808 16 Car Key Chain Micro Camera HD Helmet Cam Camcorder | eBay

custom firmware download:
    #16 Home

hacking info: 808 Car Keys Micro Camera Review - Version #16

IR filter hack: Simple and cheap near IR conversion of the wide-angle HD 808#16D camera - KAP Discussion Page

Sounds promising.. Rambo gonna get got

mtbr member
    Poway is no where near the trail I was thinking of....I've ridden there, towards SD..we have a few problems here as well.
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GGR Girl Wendy View Post
    I'm wondering if this is in the Rocky Peak area? There was a confrontation in the last few weeks there and it was another biker, not a hiker....that's all I will say for now. He is a physco...please be careful. Thank you for taking the time removing them so no one else gets hurt.
    This is where I regularly ride. Can you provide any info? I have never had any issues with any bikers or hikers, as everyone I have come across has been very cordial.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    In the recent months, someone has been constantly placing rocks in my favorite trail. What gets me though, is that they are always in turns, or placed in a manner with the sharp side up.
    I'm fairly confident that it is most likely a hiker that had a scary incident with a biker and has decided to try and make like as hard as possible in the trails.
    Up until this point, I've always taken the time to stop and remove to the rocks and grated it as my chance to make it as hard as possible for this person to see the glory of their hideous work. One day I clear the trail, the next they may come through and place some more on..... It keeps happening.
    So.... What do you guys think? The last thing I want to do is ever have an incident where police, rangers, etc are involved. But man, I'd just like to catch them placing these damned rocks so I could out them and know who it is.
    game camera, you will at least be able to see the people coming through to narrow it down. You wont necessarily catch them putting the rocks down. But over the course of a few weeks you will be able to see all the people who come onto the trail.

Some of the game cameras have locking straps so they cant be removed without cutters. They also are camo'd so they blend in. Lithium ion Batteries can last 6 months.

mtbr member
    @Stumpy Dumpty..I will PM you
    GGR Girl Wendy E

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    They were doing the same thing at double peak trail.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G. View Post

I have no idea how the work "grated" got in there. Damned phone keyboard.

Anyway, I'm no slouch when it comes to rocks, and there are plenty on the trail. I just have a problem with bowling all sized rockes strategically placed in blind turns and (good sized) triangular rocks placed with the sharp side up across the trail.

There are plenty of rocks that have been placed, that are easy to see and navigate around. (I've left those and only target the obstacles that are truly dangerous)

I'm not sure if these trails are "legal" or not. It's really a tough area since it crosses into different parts of the city of SD and Poway. Ultimately though... With the state of trail closures in SD, I have no interest in contacting authorities.

Beer Please!
    I'm not sure if these trails are "legal" or not. It's really a tough area since it crosses into different parts of the city of SD and Poway. Ultimately though... With the state of trail closures in SD, I have no interest in contacting authorities.
    Perhaps you have stumbled onto the reason for the rocks?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Perhaps you have stumbled onto the reason for the rocks?
    I'm thinking that it's a "Former Bombing Range, next to a dump...."

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You guys and your speculation is comical. You're all wrong.

Funny stuff from some of you. Sabotaging trails is not justified even if the trail is illegal or not. Nobody has the right to try and hurt people to promote their own ideas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast