Results 1 to 50 of 50
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    464

    How to catch a saboteur?

    In the recent months, someone has been constantly placing rocks in my favorite trail. What gets me though, is that they are always in turns, or placed in a manner with the sharp side up.
    I'm fairly confident that it is most likely a hiker that had a scary incident with a biker and has decided to try and make like as hard as possible in the trails.
    Up until this point, I've always taken the time to stop and remove the rocks and took it as my chance to make it as hard as possible for this person to see the glory of their hideous work. One day I clear the trail, the next they may come through and place some more on..... It keeps happening.
    So.... What do you guys think? The last thing I want to do is ever have an incident where police, rangers, etc are involved. But man, I'd just like to catch them placing these damned rocks so I could out them and know who it is.
    Last edited by mbell; 06-23-2014 at 03:22 PM.

  2. #2
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,758
    police need to get involved...take pictures..catch him then call police...because if someone else finds him doing that then the guy will be calling police after leaving hospital
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  3. #3
    Workin for the weekend!
    Reputation: -Todd-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,178
    Trail camera, like what a hunter uses. Put up in a tree, out of sight in the general area. Motion activated.
    Todd

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,370
    Set up a hidden stake out position and when the perp returns to cause more damage, approach just close enough to take pics or video in action and then immediately leave. Do not make verbal contact. Share your pics and file a report with your local police or ranger if it's within their jurisdiction.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    133
    A land mine?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2w4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,111
    Mt. Wilson? i like the idea of the trail camera, though.
    Last edited by 2w4s; 06-22-2014 at 10:18 PM.
    nothing witty here...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GGR Girl Wendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    402
    I'm wondering if this is in the Rocky Peak area? There was a confrontation in the last few weeks there and it was another biker, not a hiker....that's all I will say for now. He is a physco...please be careful. Thank you for taking the time removing them so no one else gets hurt.
    GGR Girl Wendy E

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2w4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,111
    whoa, plot thickens. i recently moved to the area and have an idea who it might be from an encounter years ago with a fellow rider. GGR, can you provide a physical description of the person? pm's work, thanks.
    nothing witty here...

  9. #9
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,105
    You should all be sharing information about physical description and possible access and exit points. If you are uncertain the person in your description is to blame, just say so. Hawg is right with his general advice.

    +1 for getting the cops involved. We have a loony here who has been escalating his sabotage and a few of us have been hurt. We know what he looks like and there are hidden cameras, but so far no-one has been apprehended. If our boy is caught by the wrong group of riders (like those whose bridges he destroyed multiple times), he may get some bush justice. There's some seriously heavy dudes looking to turn him into a bad smell. That is not what I would recommend and certainly would be hard to defend if caught on one of the hidden cameras.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Trail camera, like what a hunter uses. Put up in a tree, out of sight in the general area. Motion activated.
    I think this is a great idea. It doesn't seem feasible to sit out near a trail for hours at a time. But it sounds like the sabotage is happening at predictable locations, so it should be fairly easy to find a place to put a camera to catch whoever is doing this.

    Cameras aren't cheap, though. I'm not sure the best price, but here is one:

    Wildgame Innovations Razor 6 Flash 6MP Camera : Cabela's

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    369
    The 808#16 camera records in HD and can be flashed to record motion only (i.e. a 'game' camera). It sells for <$40 and is the classic solution for HQ cheap helmet cams, DIY game cameras for under-funded bio researchers, and FPV remote controlled aircraft a.k.a. 'drones' due to the live video out tap. I have around 7 of them, some more damaged than others from various uses and highly recommend them due to their combination of very customizable firmware, lens options, decent video quality, and price. One of these would be perfect to collect some data. They can be modified to record IR (night vision) for <$10.

    Real 720P H 264 DVR 808 16 Car Key Chain Micro Camera HD Helmet Cam Camcorder | eBay

    custom firmware download:
    #16 Home

    hacking info: 808 Car Keys Micro Camera Review - Version #16

    IR filter hack: Simple and cheap near IR conversion of the wide-angle HD 808#16D camera - KAP Discussion Page

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    464
    The trail I'm referring to is in the Poway area. Thanks for the info, I don't have time to camp out and really don't prefer to have the police involved. I feel like any attention given to the area may cause I unwanted interest from other law enforcement agencies and could possibly lead to trail closures.
    As much as I ride, I'm due to find some info on who it is or eventually run into them in the act.
    Until then, I'll keep my eyes out and tell as many people on the trail that there is a person of interest out there that needs to be stopped.

  13. #13
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,305
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell View Post
    I feel like any attention given to the area may cause I unwanted interest from other law enforcement agencies and could possibly lead to trail closures.
    If this is a legal and open multi-use trail, why would that be the case?

    The feeling I am getting is this is NOT a legal trail.......
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

  14. #14
    Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell View Post
    I've always taken the time to stop and remove to the rocks and grated it
    I don't want to sound jaded or anything but i dont get this post at all. On any given day and at any given trail, there will be rocks! This is Socal after all. Why are you removing these rocks? Can you not jump over them? ride over them? ride around them?

    i can see if its a man made "trip wire", boards with nails or "Rambo" traps. otherwise, leave it alone for **** sakes. You shouldn't be "grating" rocks. Thats just absurd!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: evdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G. View Post
    I don't want to sound jaded or anything but i dont get this post at all. On any given day and at any given trail, there will be rocks! This is Socal after all. Why are you removing these rocks? Can you not jump over them? ride over them? ride around them?

    i can see if its a man made "trip wire", boards with nails or "Rambo" traps. otherwise, leave it alone for **** sakes. You shouldn't be "grating" rocks. Thats just absurd!
    Nice troll post Barcy

  16. #16
    J:
    J: is offline
    mbtr memebr
    Reputation: J:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,334
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_rider View Post
    The 808#16 camera records in HD and can be flashed to record motion only (i.e. a 'game' camera). It sells for <$40 and is the classic solution for HQ cheap helmet cams, DIY game cameras for under-funded bio researchers, and FPV remote controlled aircraft a.k.a. 'drones' due to the live video out tap. I have around 7 of them, some more damaged than others from various uses and highly recommend them due to their combination of very customizable firmware, lens options, decent video quality, and price. One of these would be perfect to collect some data. They can be modified to record IR (night vision) for <$10.

    Real 720P H 264 DVR 808 16 Car Key Chain Micro Camera HD Helmet Cam Camcorder | eBay

    custom firmware download:
    #16 Home

    hacking info: 808 Car Keys Micro Camera Review - Version #16

    IR filter hack: Simple and cheap near IR conversion of the wide-angle HD 808#16D camera - KAP Discussion Page

    Sounds promising.. Rambo gonna get got
    ...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GGR Girl Wendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    402
    Poway is no where near the trail I was thinking of....I've ridden there, towards SD..we have a few problems here as well.
    GGR Girl Wendy E

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by GGR Girl Wendy View Post
    I'm wondering if this is in the Rocky Peak area? There was a confrontation in the last few weeks there and it was another biker, not a hiker....that's all I will say for now. He is a physco...please be careful. Thank you for taking the time removing them so no one else gets hurt.
    This is where I regularly ride. Can you provide any info? I have never had any issues with any bikers or hikers, as everyone I have come across has been very cordial.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell View Post
    In the recent months, someone has been constantly placing rocks in my favorite trail. What gets me though, is that they are always in turns, or placed in a manner with the sharp side up.
    I'm fairly confident that it is most likely a hiker that had a scary incident with a biker and has decided to try and make like as hard as possible in the trails.
    Up until this point, I've always taken the time to stop and remove to the rocks and grated it as my chance to make it as hard as possible for this person to see the glory of their hideous work. One day I clear the trail, the next they may come through and place some more on..... It keeps happening.
    So.... What do you guys think? The last thing I want to do is ever have an incident where police, rangers, etc are involved. But man, I'd just like to catch them placing these damned rocks so I could out them and know who it is.
    game camera, you will at least be able to see the people coming through to narrow it down. You wont necessarily catch them putting the rocks down. But over the course of a few weeks you will be able to see all the people who come onto the trail.

    Some of the game cameras have locking straps so they cant be removed without cutters. They also are camo'd so they blend in. Lithium ion Batteries can last 6 months.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GGR Girl Wendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    402
    @Stumpy Dumpty..I will PM you
    GGR Girl Wendy E

  21. #21
    Master of the Face Plant
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    They were doing the same thing at double peak trail.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G. View Post
    I don't want to sound jaded or anything but i dont get this post at all. On any given day and at any given trail, there will be rocks! This is Socal after all. Why are you removing these rocks? Can you not jump over them? ride over them? ride around them?

    i can see if its a man made "trip wire", boards with nails or "Rambo" traps. otherwise, leave it alone for **** sakes. You shouldn't be "grating" rocks. Thats just absurd!
    I have no idea how the work "grated" got in there. Damned phone keyboard.

    Anyway, I'm no slouch when it comes to rocks, and there are plenty on the trail. I just have a problem with bowling all sized rockes strategically placed in blind turns and (good sized) triangular rocks placed with the sharp side up across the trail.

    There are plenty of rocks that have been placed, that are easy to see and navigate around. (I've left those and only target the obstacles that are truly dangerous)

    I'm not sure if these trails are "legal" or not. It's really a tough area since it crosses into different parts of the city of SD and Poway. Ultimately though... With the state of trail closures in SD, I have no interest in contacting authorities.

  23. #23
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,305
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell View Post
    I'm not sure if these trails are "legal" or not. It's really a tough area since it crosses into different parts of the city of SD and Poway. Ultimately though... With the state of trail closures in SD, I have no interest in contacting authorities.
    Perhaps you have stumbled onto the reason for the rocks?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BikingScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Perhaps you have stumbled onto the reason for the rocks?
    I'm thinking that it's a "Former Bombing Range, next to a dump...."

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    464
    You guys and your speculation is comical. You're all wrong.

    Funny stuff from some of you. Sabotaging trails is not justified even if the trail is illegal or not. Nobody has the right to try and hurt people to promote their own ideas.

  26. #26
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,305
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell View Post
    You guys and your speculation is comical. You're all wrong.

    Funny stuff from some of you. Sabotaging trails is not justified even if the trail is illegal or not. Nobody has the right to try and hurt people to promote their own ideas.
    If you are riding on private property, you have no business complaining. Unless it is public land and a sanctioned trail you are on your own with this issue and should know better than to bring it up here on a public forum where the powers that do govern these trails read up on what is going on.

    Your best bet is to find out if the trail is legal or not, and then proceed.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    348
    Why would someone place cobbles on the outside edge of trails and along constrictions along the trail? If you stay with in the trail you are fine, if your line is off not so good. I don't know if this is a misguided and or controlling rider? Probably not, or a hiker that is creating physical barriers to make sure riders don't stray off the trail? Bill

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    464
    Rocks are placed in the trail. Sometimes staggered throughout the middle of a turn, sometimes perpendicular to the trail to obstruct it with large rocks.
    I'm no slouch. I ride well, and within my limits, but am constantly pushing myself.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: h82crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    177
    This happens on a lot of trails, even on sanctioned trails in MTRP. I agree with mbell, anyone who places obstructions on any trail for the purpose of causing injury is a bag of d***s. If the trail is not open for use then the person or agency responsible needs to make that clear with signs or fences instead of booby traps.
    Goat Rider

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GGR Girl Wendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    402
    I rode Chumash last night and was concerned because one of the trails close to it received many complaints on so called booby traps. Chumash was fine, nothing unusual on the trail.
    GGR Girl Wendy E

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    380

    How to catch a saboteur?

    MBell,

    Please let us know which trail you're referring to in Poway so that the rest of us can keep an eye out as well as be a bit more careful in approaching blind turns.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by moldau94 View Post
    MBell,

    Please let us know which trail you're referring to in Poway so that the rest of us can keep an eye out as well as be a bit more careful in approaching blind turns.
    If you are on this trail rocks are expected and anyone up on the ridge using this trail should be fine, but a rock or two will need to be dodged although I have heard the rocks are getting bigger in size

    The rocks actually make things kind of fun...this has been going on for almost a year now and always make the run down interesting. The problem is with the INTENTof the rocks.....some fuktard is puting the rocks there for a reason, and aiming to potentially hurt someone or cause someone to crash is really shitty.

    Whether the trail is legit(yes) or not, private property or not, whatever, intending to potentially hurt someone is really lame.....geeeze.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by GGR Girl Wendy View Post
    I rode Chumash last night and was concerned because one of the trails close to it received many complaints on so called booby traps. Chumash was fine, nothing unusual on the trail.
    Hello again,

    Do you mean hummingbird? What kind of booby traps?

  34. #34
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,305
    Quote Originally Posted by rathbone View Post

    Whether the trail is legit(yes) or not, private property or not, whatever, intending to potentially hurt someone is really lame.....geeeze.
    Whether a trail is legal or not makes a huge difference in what we as users can do to catch this person and prosecute them. If it is on private property you are out of luck since you are trespassing.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Whether a trail is legal or not makes a huge difference in what we as users can do to catch this person and prosecute them. If it is on private property you are out of luck since you are trespassing.
    Not true. For the same reason it is a felony to booby trap your home for invaders. It is a crime regardless of where the trap is placed. People have been prosecuted and gone to prison for setting up traps in their home.

    Like people have said. Place a wildlife camera in the area. If you get a good shot of him I'd post his picture at every trailhead with a warning.

  36. #36
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMike68 View Post
    Not true. For the same reason it is a felony to booby trap your home for invaders. It is a crime regardless of where the trap is placed. People have been prosecuted and gone to prison for setting up traps in their home.

    Like people have said. Place a wildlife camera in the area. If you get a good shot of him I'd post his picture at every trailhead with a warning.
    ^^^ This is the truth.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,370
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMike68 View Post
    Not true. For the same reason it is a felony to booby trap your home for invaders. It is a crime regardless of where the trap is placed. People have been prosecuted and gone to prison for setting up traps in their home.
    Unless you can get away with it and dispose of the body.

  38. #38
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,305
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMike68 View Post
    Not true. For the same reason it is a felony to booby trap your home for invaders. It is a crime regardless of where the trap is placed. People have been prosecuted and gone to prison for setting up traps in their home.

    Like people have said. Place a wildlife camera in the area. If you get a good shot of him I'd post his picture at every trailhead with a warning.
    If there are no Trespassing signs, then you are gonna have a hard time suing the owner of the property.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

  39. #39
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    If there are no Trespassing signs, then you are gonna have a hard time suing the owner of the property.
    Dude. Why do you think CA has so many lawyers? (and no, this is not another 'lawyer joke'.........well, maybe a little.)

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    921
    A landowner can be successfully sued by a trespasser for injuries caused by his or her negligence if the trespass is reasonably foreseeable. Likewise, if the landowner knows someone is setting booby traps and fails to take reasonable steps to prevent it, he can be sued by a victim.

    Interestingly, by statute, in California, a landowner who allows recreational use of his property at no charge has no liability unless he actively does something that causes harm.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    464
    That probably hurts a little bit....

  42. #42
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    A landowner can be successfully sued by a trespasser for injuries caused by his or her negligence if the trespass is reasonably foreseeable. Likewise, if the landowner knows someone is setting booby traps and fails to take reasonable steps to prevent it, he can be sued by a victim.

    Interestingly, by statute, in California, a landowner who allows recreational use of his property at no charge has no liability unless he actively does something that causes harm.
    This is part of what is wrong with the world. Why any trespasser would be given any rights is beyond me. I guess the goal now would be to prove that the rocks being placed are booby traps and not just landscape decoration......
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

  43. #43
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    This is part of what is wrong with the world. Why any trespasser would be given any rights is beyond me. I guess the goal now would be to prove that the rocks being placed are booby traps and not just landscape decoration......
    I actually think it's one of the few things CA law gets right.

    I think your attention here is misdirected. It is not about 'giving rights' to trespassers, it's about assigning value to human life. The value of human life, in a first-world society, trumps the value of private 'proppity. In defense of human life, whatever means is necessary can and should be deployed, but for trespassing on property? I find that essentially un-American. In feudal, third-world places, it's often different. But we ain't like that yet, are we?

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    I actually think it's one of the few things CA law gets right.

    I think your attention here is misdirected. It is not about 'giving rights' to trespassers, it's about assigning value to human life. The value of human life, in a first-world society, trumps the value of private 'proppity. In defense of human life, whatever means is necessary can and should be deployed, but for trespassing on property? I find that essentially un-American. In feudal, third-world places, it's often different. But we ain't like that yet, are we?
    Agreed!

    There was an article in Bike last year(?) about riding in Norway (which I can't find online...). The way their laws are set up makes access to private land for recreational use much easier and mountain biking has benefited.

    Back to what the OP was asking about - a trail camera is the best solution. If the land is private with illegal trails, why are you riding there anyway?

  45. #45
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    I actually think it's one of the few things CA law gets right.

    I think your attention here is misdirected. It is not about 'giving rights' to trespassers, it's about assigning value to human life. The value of human life, in a first-world society, trumps the value of private 'proppity. In defense of human life, whatever means is necessary can and should be deployed, but for trespassing on property? I find that essentially un-American. In feudal, third-world places, it's often different. But we ain't like that yet, are we?
    I don't really agree with you on a few points, Let me play devils advocate for a min here.

    Lets suppose for a min you own some property that people decided to build trails on, or perhaps you purchased property where there were existing trails. You are afraid of a lawsuit so you post no trespassing signs on your property.

    Don't forget, you are the one paying ALL the property taxes to Uncle Sam for this plot.

    Now people start to ignore your signs and continue to ride on your property, so you put some rocks on the trails in an effort to deter use, perhaps you do not have evil intentions of hurting people, you just don't want them on it, and you figure ruining the trails is a good one way to deter people.

    Disclaimer, I have no idea if that is the case here, just trying to be fair to both sides. How as the LANDOWNER, do you go about stopping the illegal trespassing, or deter the illegal use of YOUR property?

    Again, i have no idea if this is the case because the OP will not tell us where this is. Perhaps we need a new thread to discuss this.


    But here is my Opinion, and it is just that, an Opinion. If I owned a large amount of acreage, and paid tax on it, and had to maintain it for fire control I would be scared to death of a lawsuit and place no trespassing signs on the property and possibly fence it off, and if someone ignored those signs, got hurt and sued me and won..... I would feel like justice was wrong.

    Of course I am pro mountain biking and would probably have an open trail/shuttle run with BIKES ONLY signs all over the place and only chase off Hikers, Joggers and Horseback riders, but I am trying my best to see this from the eyes of someone who knows nothing about the sport and only see's people trespassing on land.

    In places like Texas they have Private ranches where you can pay a day use fee and ride trails, and if you are caught trespassing you can be legally shot.

    I do not believe booby trapping is a good thing, or even a good deterrent, but I also believe in respecting private property as best as I can, especially if it is posted.

    A few Years ago I had someone jump my back fence and assault a band member because he did not like that I was having live music played in my backyard. He left my yard before I could confront him, and he was smart to do so because I would of had my friends contain him until the Police came and arrested him for Trespassing. I cannot even imagine the outrage I would feel if he somehow hurt himself while jumping my fence and sued me and won.......

    I have a hard time believing that anyone would be okay with someone coming onto their property, getting hurt and then winning a lawsuit against you because of some loopholes in the law that give rights to criminals.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

  46. #46
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I don't really agree with you on a few points, Let me play devils advocate for a min here.

    Lets suppose for a min you own some property that people decided to build trails on, or perhaps you purchased property where there were existing trails. You are afraid of a lawsuit so you post no trespassing signs on your property.

    Don't forget, you are the one paying ALL the property taxes to Uncle Sam for this plot.

    Now people start to ignore your signs and continue to ride on your property, so you put some rocks on the trails in an effort to deter use, perhaps you do not have evil intentions of hurting people, you just don't want them on it, and you figure ruining the trails is a good one way to deter people.

    Disclaimer, I have no idea if that is the case here, just trying to be fair to both sides. How as the LANDOWNER, do you go about stopping the illegal trespassing, or deter the illegal use of YOUR property?

    Again, i have no idea if this is the case because the OP will not tell us where this is. Perhaps we need a new thread to discuss this.


    But here is my Opinion, and it is just that, an Opinion. If I owned a large amount of acreage, and paid tax on it, and had to maintain it for fire control I would be scared to death of a lawsuit and place no trespassing signs on the property and possibly fence it off, and if someone ignored those signs, got hurt and sued me and won..... I would feel like justice was wrong.

    Of course I am pro mountain biking and would probably have an open trail/shuttle run with BIKES ONLY signs all over the place and only chase off Hikers, Joggers and Horseback riders, but I am trying my best to see this from the eyes of someone who knows nothing about the sport and only see's people trespassing on land.

    In places like Texas they have Private ranches where you can pay a day use fee and ride trails, and if you are caught trespassing you can be legally shot.

    I do not believe booby trapping is a good thing, or even a good deterrent, but I also believe in respecting private property as best as I can, especially if it is posted.

    A few Years ago I had someone jump my back fence and assault a band member because he did not like that I was having live music played in my backyard. He left my yard before I could confront him, and he was smart to do so because I would of had my friends contain him until the Police came and arrested him for Trespassing. I cannot even imagine the outrage I would feel if he somehow hurt himself while jumping my fence and sued me and won.......

    I have a hard time believing that anyone would be okay with someone coming onto their property, getting hurt and then winning a lawsuit against you because of some loopholes in the law that give rights to criminals.
    There's a big difference between booby traps and a rock here and there on a trail. Anybody who willfully causes death or injury to another person for the defense of property is in violation of the law, unless you are in Texas. There, one can kill a burglar. I don't believe private property is more valuable than human life. In Texas, it is.

    Of course, the other thing about Texas is that there is such a tiny percentage of the overall land that is public open space. All that space, and all 'private proppity'.

    I think if you take your due diligence, whatever that actually means, to post no trespassing signs if you don't want people using your open space land, then you have done just about all that's legally and ethically possible. Resorting to violent force, be it by booby trap or another means, steps across the line into felony-land. Except of course in Texas, and maybe Florida too.

    For myself, I have absolutely no intention of moving to either place. I have friends who did so for tax purposes, and I see them spending as little time in their new 'home' state as they possibly can.

    For me, life is too short to go chasing the almighty tax-free carrot, only to live in a place that is basically unliveable on my terms. Fortunately I don't see California going that route. I've been here almost 60 years, and aside from the crowding, and in this county, the oppressive trail access issues, I think California has got it pretty much right, for the most part.

    The thought of having 38 million neighbors does make me a bit claustrophobic at times, though.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    There's a big difference between booby traps and a rock here and there on a trail. Anybody who willfully causes death or injury to another person for the defense of property is in violation of the law, unless you are in Texas. There, one can kill a burglar. I don't believe private property is more valuable than human life. In Texas, it is.

    .
    Just a minor point, it isnt the property that is more important, it is the sanctity of your home. A home invader could just be taking your ipod, or could be there to tie you up and rape your wife and daughters while you watch.

    The texas law basically says you dont have to figure out which it is and that anyone breaking into your home can be shot.

  48. #48
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    Just a minor point, it isnt the property that is more important, it is the sanctity of your home. A home invader could just be taking your ipod, or could be there to tie you up and rape your wife and daughters while you watch.

    The texas law basically says you dont have to figure out which it is and that anyone breaking into your home can be shot.
    We aren't talking about breaking in to a home, but trespassing on private undeveloped land, there is a MASSIVE difference.

  49. #49
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    Just a minor point, it isnt the property that is more important, it is the sanctity of your home. A home invader could just be taking your ipod, or could be there to tie you up and rape your wife and daughters while you watch.

    The texas law basically says you dont have to figure out which it is and that anyone breaking into your home can be shot.
    The Texas law, which was heavily promoted by a Texas citizen by the name of Joe Horn( no kidding....I have no idea if he is related to the infamous Tom Horn...prolly not), actually allows you to kill a burglar who is unarmed and is not even invading your own proppity but that of your neighbors'!

    How's THAT for elevating the value of 'private 'proppity' over the value of human life! In a very questionable 'incident' it was the very same Joe Horn, who shot and killed a burglar that had entered his neighbors' home, and was fleeing in front of Horn's yard , with not one, but with two, shotgun blasts to his back. This was within weeks of the new law taking effect.

    Yes, the heroic Mr. Horn actually found it necessary to fire a second 12 gauge blast, to the back of the burglars' head, just to make sure that either his pet law stood up or the 'threat' from the burglar was 'neutralized'. Apparently Mr. Horn is no sharpshooter...

    Many other remarkable circumstances involved in this first test of the new Texas law. For one, the burglar went straight to the one window that was unlocked. Once inside, the burglar went straight to where a bag of gold coins was lying around, and he spent a total of less than 5 minutes inside Mr. Horn's neighbors' home. Also, an undercover police officer happened to be parked down the street, and witnessed the entire event, from break-in to the shooting.

    Yes, I'm very familiar with Texas laws, with Texas thinking, and i know a good number of Texas jokes, to boot. I highly recommend Texas as a residence to any white male California residents who feel threatened by the rising dark-skinned criminal tide. Texas is where you want to be.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: h82crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    177
    Wow. This got off topic. But, sorry, I too am challenged to think of a burglar in my home as a human. Animals just take from others.
    Last edited by h82crash; 07-10-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    Goat Rider

Similar Threads

  1. Think I got a catch
    By OhHi. in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-20-2014, 01:41 PM
  2. 1993 MB 2 Catch
    By mingodog in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 05:59 PM
  3. N gear chain catch vs high $$$ chain catch
    By crclawn in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 08:24 AM
  4. Trail saboteur arrested in Ashland
    By jmountain in forum Oregon
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2012, 10:54 AM
  5. Flagstaff trail saboteur discovered!
    By raisingarizona in forum Arizona
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 11:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •