mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job! How about that Super D?

I am going to race for the first time at Snow Summit, CA this weekend (May 22). I am thinking about doing the Super D and maybe DH. Can anyone tell me about the Super D event at Summit? What's the LeMans start like? Is it 50 dudes scrambling all at once or is it staggered like a dude running each time a guy gets on his rig? I am quickly starting to remember the feeling of pre-competition jitters. Good times though.

Good luck to anyone else out there this weekend.

Cheers,
    BR

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job! Try it!

Well, noone replied to this so as pitiful as it may be, I am going to reply to my own post.

The Super D event was totally cool. It was mostly downhill with very little in the way of anything technical. The Le Mans start was how I expected. They broke us up by age group and class (open and pro) and you had to run about 200 yards to your bike. That run will get you if you're not in good shape or don't pace yourself. The fastest pro man did the course in about 7:00 and the fastest non-pro guy was not too shy of that mark (same for the pro women). The competitors were totally cool. It was just like you were riding with a bunch of your buddies, but decided to see who could make it down the hill first.

I totally recommend this event to anyone that has ever wanted to race, but hasn't or anyone that wants to try something other than strictly XC or DH in competition. This one is right in between. This event is probably a bit more representative of the terrain that most people typically find themselves riding I think(short of being a cliff jumping FR dude or a road guy or something) so most folks will be comfortable on it and have a good time riding it.

Happy trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the update man - sounds like a good time. How often are the events - you gotta website/link?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliius
    Thanks for the update man - sounds like a good time. How often are the events - you gotta website/link?
    Definitely a good time. There are many events from now until October (I think) Here is a link for you: http://www.teambigbear.com .

Sometimes it's hard to find stuff on this site because the links are not always pointing to what you expect them to.

In any case, there is another event this coming weekend (June 5, 6) called the Amateur Cup. You should find that on the event schedule. The races cost about $30 unless you're a professional and an additional $5 for a temporary NORBA membership if you're not already a member. Finally, there is a late fee if you register late...of course.

My brother and I are going so maybe we'll see you there if you decide to go for it.

DH!