Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

House sitting in Lake Forrest area Looking for trail advice

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  pachaven 
#1 ·
Hello All
I'll be with my family in The Lake Forrest area in a few weeks (Glen Ranch/El toro to be precise)
Anyway I'm looking to ride in the area I'll have both my Mtn and rd bike. Wondering what trails are a must and what trails to stay away from.
also Looking to ride To Laguna Beach and back (on my road bike) on some Class 1 paved off the roads, or some Class 2 Marked bike lane routes. ( or even on dirt w/ my mtb the whole way if possible) . Im down for a group ride if there are a few going on 14th-20th..
Thanks in advance
Hutch

#2 · (Edited)
There's a paved bike path that follows El Toro road right by Glen Ranch Road. You can ride that pavement all the way to Aliso/Wood Canyon park (with just a few sections on road).Lots of good stuff in Aliso, or cross over Laguna Canyon to Laguna Coast Park and El Moro/Crystal Cove.

But closer to you is Whiting Ranch for Mtb. Catch the Edison trail just off the bike path and it takes you up to the Glen Ranch lot of Whiting. Many options from there within Whiting or at 4 corners head across Santiago Canyon Road to Santiago Truck Trail, Old Camp, Luge, or Harding truck trail up to Main Divide and Santiago Peak, down Joplin, O'Neil park is close, etc... You've got lots of options riding from your front door!

Research online first, depending on your stamina and abilities some of the routes are really long with lots of elevation, and it will be hot!

I can show around some during the week in the AM, just PM me.
Dave

#4 ·
There's a paved bike path that follows El Toro road right by Glen Ranch Road. You can ride that pavement all the way to Aliso/Wood Canyon park (with just a few sections on road).Lots of good stuff in Aliso, or cross over Laguna Canyon to Laguna Coast Park and El Moro/Crystal Cove.

But closer to you is Whiting Ranch for Mtb. Catch the Edison trail just off the bike path and it takes you up to the Glen Ranch lot of Whiting. Many options from there within Whiting or at 4 corners head across Santiago Canyon Road to Santiago Truck Trail, Old Camp, Luge, or Harding truck trail up to Main Divide and Santiago Peak, down Joplin, O'Neil park is close, etc... You've got lots of options riding from your front door!

Research online first, depending on your stamina and abilities some of the routes are really long with lots of elevation, and it will be hot!

I can show around some during the week in the AM, just PM me.
Dave
Thanks for the info,
Any links or maps of that Paved Trail? I Like to think I'm a decent mtn Bike rider, I ride a average of 50-75 miles in the dirt and 100-150 Total miles a week, I'm used to the heat (i'm in Vegas) The climbs will be my demise but I can hold my own on any technical stuff. I'll PM you if your down to show me around a few days I'l do the same for you when or if your ever in Vegas..

#8 ·
You can take the Aliso bike path the other way (uphill) to Cook's Corner, and continue on Santiago Cyn. Rd. to access the Santiago (Edison) trail, the Luge, and Modjeska Cyn. to Santiago Peak, or whatever else up there. Or go right at Cook's Corner to Trabuco Cyn.

Whiting Ranch, small but fun -- go up Lake Forest to Portola Pkwy. and turn left, go almost past the shopping center, then the trailhead is at the far end of the shopping center parking lot.

In any case it's <10mi to the trailheads of some of the greatest urban mountain biking in the US. I'm amazed at how few mountain bikers ride to the trails. It's not that far, and the warm-up makes the climb more comfortable.

Check out these trail maps:

Santa Ana Mountains & Chino Hills State Park - Franko's Fabulous Maps of Favorite Places! - frankosmaps.com

South Coast Wilderness (Laguna Beach Area) - Franko's Fabulous Maps of Favorite Places! - frankosmaps.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.