Thread: Hoodoo Mountain

Singlespeed Poser
    Dec 2009

... and if we just ... Hoodoo Mountain

This sub 2 hour ride actually became an unplanned EPIC But I will not bore you with all the details of my EPIC failure. Instead, I will provide a bit of history and information on this magnificent place and how it was shaped millions of years ago.

1hooēdoo
    noun \ˈhŁ-(ˌ)dŁ\

1. Hoodoo consists of a large body of African folkloric practices and beliefs with a considerable admixture of American Indian botanical knowledge and European folklore. Although most of its adherents are black, contrary to popular opinion, it has always been practiced by both whites and blacks in America.

2. A tall, thin spire of rock that protrudes from the bottom of an arid drainage basin or badland. Hoodoos consist of soft sedimentary rock topped by harder, less easily-eroded stone that protects each column from the elements.

a) Hoodoos are composed of soft sedimentary rock, and are topped by pieces of harder, less easily-eroded stone that protects the columns from the elements. Hoodoos have a variable thickness and are often described as having a "totem pole shaped body."
    The name given to the rock layer that forms Hoodoos at Bryce Canyon is the Clarion Formation. This layer has many rock types including siltstone and mudstone and is predominantly limestone. Thirty to forty million years ago this rock was "born" in an ancient lake that covered a great deal of western Utah. Mineral deposits of different rock types cause Hoodoos to have different colors throughout their height.

Here is Alib with the hoodoos

At the very beginning of the ride itís just a constant up and down and repeat that 5X. After that roller coaster ride there will be a bit of climbing and at elevation itís a bit of work.

But with these views, hell Iíll climb all day.

The singletrack trail here is premium! The trail is loose at some sections but not technical at all.

There is a bit of exposure here so keep your eye on the trail. Here is Alib on a series of switchbacks and sometimes along side hoodoos.

The views here are magnificent! While most of the lower parts of southern Utah is enduring warm weather, up here itís a cool 67 degrees.

Here we are again enjoying the flow of this trail.

I think this is one of my favorite picture.

Yes, that is the trail!

Hoodoos are every where!!

I forgot about this little guy. Found him while we were climbing up.

What an amazing trip this was! Utah will always be an awesome place no matter which part of the state you end up going.

I <3 Dirt
    Great pics of Thunder Mtn!

Team Fearless Descender
    Love Thunder Mtn. Not the most tech, not the most hardcore, not the most miles, not the most stunts, but by far the most pure fun and beauty, eye-popping beauty!

Great pix Scott!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    This is not in SOCAL
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod