Thread: Holy Jim Trail

mtbr member
    May 2008

Holy Jim Trail

I'm hearing all this talk about Holy Jim Trail in OC, California. Has anyone given this a try?

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Just rode on Saturday. The trail is in great shape and there is still water flowing on the bottom sections to cool yourself down. It was way hot Saturday and I over-heated a bit.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuriko96
    I'm hearing all this talk about Holy Jim Trail in OC, California. Has anyone given this a try?

The Warrior's Society has the Toad Fest on June 7th you should check out. Start at O'Neil Park > up Holy Jim> across main divide > down Trabuco> back to O'Neil. You play games along the way to win prizes. Real good time and one of the best loops in the Santa Anas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I ride it all the time. Great trail.

For extra credit turn left at Main Divide and go up two miles to the start of Upper Holy Jim and do that also.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for all your opinions and suggestions. I am anxiously waiting to go with a few of my buddies.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Holy Jim is awesome, and difficult. Upper Holy Jim is real difficult, almost beyond being fun, but I did it during Counting Coup and having already riden 30+ miles (mostly uphill) I was tired. Lower is cool, nice woods. Not to mention I was on a Specialized Hardrock hard tail.....won't make that mistake again.

Checkout Warrior Society
    http://www.warriorssociety.org/

It might be good to make sure you know where you are going for upper, cause there are no signs that I noticed, and it's a totally random turn off the main fire road.

ICPAYDIRT
    Holy Jim is a great trail. I rode it last Saturday up to the Santiago Peak, down Upper Holy Jim and then back down the lower section. I would definately recommed the upper portion if you like technical switchbacky downhills. No big drops or anything like that but it will keep you on your toes. I would recommend driving the rutted and bumpy road to park at the trailhead behind the Holy Jim firehouse so you don't have to do the long boring ride from the off street parking area. Holy Jim is all climbing until you get to Main Divide Rd the end of the Lower Holy Jim singletrack. It is about 5 miles up to the road and about 2,400ft of climbing. If you go to the Santiago Peak you will be in for a total elevation gain of about 4K ft in about 7 miles so be prepared. I would definately recommend trying to make it up to the Upper Holy Jim trail, it will be worth the extra 1.5 miles and 900ft of fire road climbing to get there from the top of Lower Holy Jim. Bring water, it can get hot.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How do I get from the top of Holy Jim to Santiago Peak? I know I will need to take a left at Main Divide, but on maps it seems like the road goes around the summit. Will there be a marked trail to look out for that will lead me up there from the main divide? Then, I plan to take upper holy jim down, and holy jim back. Anyone have any useful maps, logs, etc?

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Quote Originally Posted by NA1NSXR
    How do I get from the top of Holy Jim to Santiago Peak? I know I will need to take a left at Main Divide, but on maps it seems like the road goes around the summit. Will there be a marked trail to look out for that will lead me up there from the main divide? Then, I plan to take upper holy jim down, and holy jim back. Anyone have any useful maps, logs, etc?
    You are right on. You will have to hike-a-bike out of HJ to the MD. Take a left onto the MD and get ready to do some climbing. After 1.5 miles you will come to an open area and you will find the Upper HJ trail head on your right. To get to Santiago peak pass UHJ and climb for about another 3 miles on the fire road. You will know you are at the top when you see all of the ugly communication towers.

When you turn around make sure you don't miss UHJ trail head. When you get off the single track take a right back onto MD and ride for about a half mile back to HJ. It would be very hard to get lost. www.geoladders.com will give you exact mileage. Have fun.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks, I went up there today. I didn't know the main divide went up near the summit, i had the impression it went around from maps and stuff. That portion of the ride was a longer climb than i expected. I didn't catch UHJ on the way down because I was short on daylight and didn't want to risk injury, getting lost, or anything unexpected since I was solo and unfamiliar with the area. I will be back to check it out though.