Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hitting the Road in Orange, CA

Ride Report...

I try to ride my bike to work most everyday. Well this morning was no exception. With only one mile to go, an OC Sheriff made a right hand turn in front of me. I couldn't stop in time and went all Duke's of Hazzard over the hood of the squad car. Once I hit the road with my entire left side of my body, I did my best to get up. Oh, that wasn't as easy as I was hoping. I was able to get up, but boy oh boy did my hip, knee, elbow, ankle and ribs hurt! I never blacked out and didn't hit my head. Phew!!! After 5 1/2 hours in the ER, I was released with no broken bones. Phew again!!!

On a side note (well sorta)
    When I was leaving my apartment, I put my beanie on my head as it gets cold out there. Well when getting on my bike I forgot my helmet. I guess I must have thought it was already on. About 10 miles into the ride, I realized it wasn't there. I rode by Switchback Cyclery, but they aren't open at 6am. WTF?!!! I thought "with my luck I'll get hit by a car today." I'm incredibly lucky those were my only injuries. I thanked God right away.
    Now I'm at home watching CSI: Miami with a pot pie cooling off and Vicadin in the bottle. Hopefully I'll be on the bike in a week or so.

The Pista is OK. I will need to purchase some new bars and hoods.

Be careful out there and wear a helmet.
    (Yes I do have insurance!)
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

ali'i hua
    dood! glad to hear you're ok.

damn cops- did he catch the scent of a donut shop?

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Sounds like you've got a claim against the Sheriff's Dept. Make sure you file your claim form before 180 days expires....
    Love the cops, but they need to pay attention too.

nerfherder
    Glad you're okay! That must have been totally scary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Andy, glad to hear you're okay...I know someone if you need a lawyer

Next time, don't ride by the donut shops and for Goodness sake, don't friken jinx yourself again!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Crazy! The cop definitely should replace whatever is messed up! Glad to hear you're okay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy aka Rut
    Ride Report...

I try to ride my bike to work most everyday. Well this morning was no exception. With only one mile to go, an OC Sheriff made a right hand turn in front of me. I couldn't stop in time and went all Duke's of Hazzard over the hood of the squad car. Once I hit the road with my entire left side of my body, I did my best to get up. Oh, that wasn't as easy as I was hoping. I was able to get up, but boy oh boy did my hip, knee, elbow, ankle and ribs hurt! I never blacked out and didn't hit my head. Phew!!! After 5 1/2 hours in the ER, I was released with no broken bones. Phew again!!!

On a side note (well sorta)
    When I was leaving my apartment, I put my beanie on my head as it gets cold out there. Well when getting on my bike I forgot my helmet. I guess I must have thought it was already on. About 10 miles into the ride, I realized it wasn't there. I rode by Switchback Cyclery, but they aren't open at 6am. WTF?!!! I thought "with my luck I'll get hit by a car today." I'm incredibly lucky those were my only injuries. I thanked God right away.
    Now I'm at home watching CSI: Miami with a pot pie cooling off and Vicadin in the bottle. Hopefully I'll be on the bike in a week or so.

The Pista is OK. I will need to purchase some new bars and hoods.

Be careful out there and wear a helmet.
    (Yes I do have insurance!)

So as I walk into ER room #42 @ St. Joseph's Hospital, I find Andy talking, laughing & smiling with a cute nurse. When he see's me, he says, "where's my Diedrich's mayan mocha...you know they have one on the first floor @ CHOC?"
    Yup, he's ok!
    Just some nice road rash and big bruises, but he has the vicodin to help with that issue over the next few days.

With forgetting his helmet, I'd say he's pretty darn lucky.....it must have been all those Irish beers from the festivities this past St. Patrick's Day, that were still in his system and extended his luck.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Man oh man, I am glad you came out on the other end. WTF is with people doing the turny in fronty? FWIW, I now look in my side and rear view when I am in the car to check and make sure I did not space passing up a fellow 2 wheeler.

Oh yes, hit up the sheriff's dept. for replacement parts. Lawsuits usually go deeper than hundred(s) (of) dollar(s). Was there any explanation to the right turn in front of you? Did I miss the whole story?

Take care man.
    Last edited by Meat Foot; 03-20-2007 at 07:04 AM.
    Tuff Schist

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by Burdman
    So as I walk into ER room #42 @ St. Joseph's Hospital, I find Andy talking, laughing & smiling with a cute nurse.
    Nice! Sounds like she sped up the recovery procedures.
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    He was "on a call." He had passed me about a mile back and didn't think I would be getting there all that quick. He was stopped at a light behind two other vehicles. The light changed to green and he proceeded to make his turn. Unfortunately it was into me. I'm guessing I was going pretty good. The report says 25 mph, but I'm guessing about 20. Note to self-never and I mean never land on a man hole cover. The nurse was letting me know about a hit by car cyclist that did. Ouch!
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I will be sure to make the claim when I can drive again.

Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    Man oh man, I am glad you came out on the other end. WTF is with people doing the turny in fronty? FWIW, I now look in my side and rear view when I am in the car to check and make sure I did not space passing up a fellow 2 wheeler.

Oh, yes hit of the sheriff's dept. for replacement parts. Lawsuits usually go deeper than hundred(s) (of) dollar(s). Was there any explanation to the right turn in front of you? Did I miss the whole story?

Take care man.

mtbr member
    Nice! Sounds like she sped up the recovery procedures.
    Well, lets just say when I saw all those cute female nurses taking care of people(including Andy), for a brief moment, I thought about launching myself in front of the next ambulance that pulled in, but then I wondered who would drive us home?

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear you OK. Pot pie and Vicodin.

A couple year's back I saw an Irvine cop hit-and-run a cyclist.

mtbr member
    Wow amazing! I'm pretty lucky this Sheriff had ethics!

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear you OK. Pot pie and Vicodin.

A couple year's back I saw an Irvine cop hit-and-run a cyclist.

MolarM
    Jan 2006
    Glad to hear you're okay. Some of these roads scare me. Where did it happen?
    MolarM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by molarm
    Where did it happen?
    I was riding West on Chapman. I was just past the circle crossing either Olive or Lemon. I'm not sure which street it was. It was also just before 6am. I thought I would be safe.

Glad to Be Alive
    sorry to hear........get well fast
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Expert Pushing SSer
    Well, lets just say when I saw all those cute female nurses taking care of people(including Andy), for a brief moment, I thought about launching myself in front of the next ambulance that pulled in, but then I wondered who would drive us home?
    E would have helped out with that one.
    Tuff Schist

ali'i hua
    eh, you could have called me- I'd have picked up your broken flirty arses.

E would have helped out with that one.
    thanks for beating me to the punch....

pewpewpew Moderator
    yikes andy! glad to hear you are ok and back to normal...well, back to yourself at any rate Heal up fast.
    Love, Impy

mtbr member

Did he feel bad?

Did Johnny Law feel bad was he remorseful? I ride about twice a week to work and I am OK because I take the river trail but once I get off on Chapman in Anaheim its like the no fly zone their for bikes and you really have to have your wits about you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fired Yo Momma
    Did Johnny Law feel bad was he remorseful?
    To be honest, he was great (except for hitting me.) He did everything he could to make me comfortable and calm. He didn't have a donut or coffee in his lap either.

Mmmmmm Beer!
    To be honest, he was great (except for hitting me.) He did everything he could to make me comfortable and calm. He didn't have a donut or coffee in his lap either.
    Hey Andy,

I was driving up Chapman this morning on my way to a meeting that was right off Olive and I saw a guy riding a fixie with no hands talking on his cell phone with his right ear and a ear bud in his left ear for the iPod. All he needed was a jersey that said hit me I'm a idiot! Hope your feeling better and I was just kidding about the coffee and donut.
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

OMR - Old Man Riding

Hope Wow! you were very lucky!!!

Andy,

Sorry to hear about the accident and I guess it wasn't your time to go yet ... you must have unfinished business here. "It's a game of inches", applies here.

Not Surprised though...after all that Irish "stuff" you put in your system over the weekend. I'm sure you were very "rag doll" over that hood....either that or the little leprechaun that was sitting on your shoulder protected you.

Awfully glad it wasn't more serious... been there in the ER and 137 stiches in the face, broken ribs, collasped lung, sprained hands & feet later I don't want to go ever back!

Heal quickly bro... you'll be missed on the trail until then.

OMR
    :cool
    PS: Does anybody have a ping pog table we can borrow for a day?
    Older than Dirt!!!

mtbr member
    The aftermath...

The Bianchi Pista is out of ICU and expected to be home today. ;-)
    The only surgeries left for her are replacing the front brake lever, the hood for the right hand and some bar tape. Phew! She will pull through.

Clothing...
    Oh another story. MTBR Jacket... toast. She went straight to the morgue. I don't even think the doctor checked for a pulse.
    Arrogant Bastard Ale Jersey went right with the jacket.
    The sockguy longsleeve layer was next to see the cooler.
    Man maybe I should have been wearing elbow pads instead.
    Spandex bib knickers; well lets just say they have a few see through spots on them.
    I'm starting to get all choked up about the loss of the gear. Is there a Padre in the house??!

ali'i hua
    The aftermath...

The Bianchi Pista is out of ICU and expected to be home today. ;-)
    The only surgeries left for her are replacing the front brake lever, the hood for the right hand and some bar tape. Phew! She will pull through.

Clothing...
    Oh another story. MTBR Jacket... toast. She went straight to the morgue. I don't even think the doctor checked for a pulse.
    Arrogant Bastard Ale Jersey went right with the jacket.
    The sockguy longsleeve layer was next to see the cooler.
    Man maybe I should have been wearing elbow pads instead.
    Spandex bib knickers; well lets just say they have a few see through spots on them.
    I'm starting to get all choked up about the loss of the gear. Is there a Padre in the house??!

need a replacement jersey? a relative got me an AB jersey for x-mas- still in the bag. i already had one from the best men @ the bachelor party
    Last edited by SlowSSer; 03-20-2007 at 01:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast