If you think you can

Hiking up Tunnel Trail, SB

Anyone ever hike/ride their bikes up tunnel trail? I don't have anyone to shuttle with, and I have hiked it before, so I know what its like. And I have a coiler, so its not TOO heavy to hike with. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Tunnel is surprisingly ridable on the way up. I'd say it's about 75% rideable if you're in good shape, and on a XC bike. Make sure you go mid-week, or you'll upset riders coming down. Most riders climb Gibraltar road, and then descend the trail, it's about a 10 mile steady road climb, and not that bad on a DH bike.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Father_Iain
    Tunnel is surprisingly ridable on the way up. I'd say it's about 75% rideable if you're in good shape, and on a XC bike. Make sure you go mid-week, or you'll upset riders coming down. Most riders climb Gibraltar road, and then descend the trail, it's about a 10 mile steady road climb, and not that bad on a DH bike.
    why would one guy pushing/riding his bike upset downhill riders any more than all the hikers already on the trail. it will be a negliable change compared to all the hikers.

mtbr member

heads up

Just a heads up for the biker walking his bike up hill. Walking bikers tend to zone out and not pay attention to blind corners.....Especially if your pushing up a beast...

just along for the ride
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    Just a heads up for the biker walking his bike up hill. Walking bikers tend to zone out and not pay attention to blind corners.....Especially if your pushing up a beast...
    Hug the inside line at all time pushing, ring a bell too

If you think you can
    Cool. Thanks. Mabey I'll try it pretty soon.

i can't type the letter s
    Wow, 75% seems generous. I've hiked and HAB'd and DH'd Tunnel and unless you have mad skills as a trial rider with race XC legs and lungs then maybe get up to 75%.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

GoatJockey

Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    Wow, 75% seems generous. I've hiked and HAB'd and DH'd Tunnel and unless you have mad skills as a trial rider with race XC legs and lungs then maybe get up to 75%.
    You're a damn Goater....You could handle it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Don't skid
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    Ya, 75% seems a bit of an exaggeration, but then again i am fat and slow.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Having hike-a-bike'd Tunnel more times than I care to remember, it ain't easy, it ain't short, and there's no chance in hell you're pedalling any 75% of it unless you're hopping instead of pedalling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have only seen pictures of Tunnel, and it is waayy beyond my ability. I got thoroughly owned yesterday by the trail near the top of Gibraltar that starts by the no shooting signs and connects to cold springs. Thoroughly owned.

Equal opportunity meanie
    ??? There are no shooting signs all over the place. Do you mean the trail that comes off of the big 180 degree turn on Gibralter that connects to CS (aka West Fork CS)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yes, that one.

Glad to Be Alive
    just hang out towards the bottom of the trail and ask some riders to give u a ride up....also ask at local bike shops for rides up....oh yeah offer cash and/or beers
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo

Er-go the reason for all riders to have a bell on thier bike when descending Tunnel.

If you think you can
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    just hang out towards the bottom of the trail and ask some riders to give u a ride up....also ask at local bike shops for rides up....oh yeah offer cash and/or beers
    That's a good idea. When to most people ride that trail?

pwn3rator
    Quote Originally Posted by 62kona
    That's a good idea. When to most people ride that trail?
    hang around the mission or rocky nook park around 7:00am on a weekend, or start riding up gibralter and hold you thumb out when a car goes by...
    [SIZE=-4]SOCAL UNION REPREZENT[/SIZE]
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    We shuttle all the time, not always tunnel, but fun trails all the time. Hiking up tunnel would be stupid, you're better off shuttling.

Gimme a call if you wanna cruise sometime
    949 584 2811

mtbr member
    you might want to take your phone number down and just PM him with that.....

Pro Crastinator
    ...I'd say it's about 75% rideable...
    that's a hardcore type-o, more like 7 to 5% rideable...