Not a regular
    Jan 2004

Help Save Flightline and Calaveras

As many of you probably already know, the trails down at the end of Melrose/Park Center (AKA “Flightline”) and the Calaveras Lake area are dangerously close to being developed upon. Preserve Calaveras is trying to acquire the land and permanently protect it from further development. Right now, they are desperately trying to set up a fund that will allow them to leverage more grant and foundation money to acquire this land. They need to raise $50K by April 1st and so far, they only need about $5000 more. I’ve been in touch with the president of Preserve Calavera, Diane Nygaard, and I’m working with her to spread the word to the members of the mountain bike community. If any of you feel so inclined as to make a small donation (even if it’s just $5…no amount is too small) or volunteer your time to help save our trails, you can visit their website at www.preservecalavera.org. Here’s a little blurb from Diane in regards to why this fund is so critical…you can also read more on their website. In addition, she has visited Flightling and is really impressed with the trail building that has happened in recent years. It would be a shame to have so much hard work torn up to make way for more development.

“Preserve Calavera is a local grassroots group working to preserve the largest remaining native habitat in coastal north San Diego County. We need to raise $ 50k by April 1 in order to get an initial land acquisition fund established through the San Diego Foundation. This seed money will then be able to leverage grant, foundation and public money- using the successful model of the San Diego River Park and others. We have already raised almost 90%- but need your help now to raise that last 10% or they risk losing thousands of dollars in matching grants that have already been pledged. Tax deductible checks can be mailed to Preserve Calavera at 5020 Nighthawk Way, Oceanside, Ca 92056- or you can donate by credit card through their website at preservecalavera.org. If we each do a little- together we can do a lot- but we need to act now before the bulldozers are on the hillside.”

Spread the word to anyone else you might now who uses and loves these trails!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Have they asked the cities and county for help? apparently each member of the county supervisors have a couple of million in a fund they can spend on any project they please.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Have they asked the cities and county for help? apparently each member of the county supervisors have a couple of million in a fund they can spend on any project they please.
    I'm sure they've been trying everything they can think of. I'm sure Ms. Nygaard would appreciate any info / help regarding getting funds. I just rode out there at lunch today and there's even more new trails. It would be a shame to see all the work for naught. Contact her through the preservecalavera website. I'm sure she would appreciate any feedback / comments.

I'm not actually the one working with her. One of my co-workers wrote up the info I posted above. She's been working with them and it sounds like a couple of local bike companies have made a significant donation.

mtbr member
    I'll donate a few bucks. Oh, really Carlsbad would not allow for such a development and urban sprawl in such a waste land area of Flightline. They do such a great job in preserving natural land resources with their capital appetite of tax revenues and mello roos assessments. I ratter have views from my house that backs to Flightline of industrial buildings than raw chaparral canyons. If I was rich than I would buy the land and donate it to the state
    Attached Images Attached Images

sLigHtLy lEft oF CEntEr
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Flighline's days are numbered. No matter how much money is donated. The plans have been laid. The Faraday extension will cut through replacing the existing access road. All of the upper areas have already been subdivided and will be developed on. Estimated time frame is 1 to 2 years. So get out there and enjoy some of the last easily accessible openspace.

Bike Geek
    I'm just getting into riding here in the area and I'd hate to miss this ride before it gets taken out.

Is it already being destroyed and/or fenced off?

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rower_CPU
    I'm just getting into riding here in the area and I'd hate to miss this ride before it gets taken out.

Is it already being destroyed and/or fenced off?
    It is untouched by bulldozers. Ride away. I just spent my lunch hour out there.

Bike Geek
    Great news - I might head out there tomorrow afternoon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burninator
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Flighline's days are numbered. No matter how much money is donated. The plans have been laid. The Faraday extension will cut through replacing the existing access road. All of the upper areas have already been subdivided and will be developed on. Estimated time frame is 1 to 2 years. So get out there and enjoy some of the last easily accessible openspace.
    True, that is why I did not donate to futile cause. Looking at some of the plan maps I think that the T8, T9 and Fence line trails will not be destroyed but access will be limited from the Dog trail, shrinking the gross area by two thirds. Maybe if we can just all chant and listen to Jonie Mitchel's Paved Parking Lot. Oh well, that is the way it goes.