mtbr member

Help - Nor Cal Refugees!

For our holidays we've fled the rainy, soggy, muddy, waterlogged, mudsliding, flooding, ponding Northern California dirt for some drier conditions down south. Looking for some ride advice or even a group ride and will gladly return the favor when our hood dries out (if it ever does).

We'll be staying in San Diego.

A little curious about the Socal Enduro course in Temecula - is this able to be ridden recreationally? Anyone got a .tcx we could follow? We'll be racing there Jan 19/20.

Also curious about Noble Canyon/Trail. TCX for your favorite route there would be great too.

Probably also happy to just join up on a group ride. We're a couple, we race some XC and Super D and do well in beginner categories, but are both mellow, self-sufficient, and enjoy riding socially.

Thanks! Like I said, more than happy to return the favor someday!

Christie

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    You might want to cross-post this on dirttreaders.com. They're a great bunch to ride with, and they're more San Diego-centric.

If you don't mind driving a bit, a few of us are riding the San Juan Trail (south OC) late tomorrow morning. It's a local classic:
    MountainBikeBill's Mountain biking Trail Reviews, Videos and Pictures
    Last edited by dirtvert; 12-26-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Maybe down in SoCal for New Year's Day to escape the powdery stuff up here in ID. Would be interested in a ride around the 1st of the year if anyone is doing a casual group ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Not sure where in SD you're staying but here's a link to a previous course used in the 12 hour race up there in Temecula at Vail Lake 12 & 6 Hours of Temecula Classic November Course 1 by ranoaclan at Garmin Connect - Details - not the most exciting riding area but then again, I'm no longer into racing. I prefer to ride in areas with alot more trees.

Assuming the rain stops today, you should be good to go for Nobel Canyon this weekend. I personally only shuttle that ride nowadays but you can either ride up the trail (serious workout) or up a single lane asphalt roadway (8 miles) to the top. The other riding up that way that is very popular is the Big Laguna Trail (BLT). It's much more mellow but very scenic. If you cranked up the tempo, it would be a good XC workout. There are tons of trails out that way that you can link together out there as well. We usually do 20-25 miles with 1800-2500 of vertical (not including Nobel Cyn). On the North end of BLT, you will see signs that link it up with Nobel Canyon. We may be out there saturday morning but if you race, you may not like our old-man pace

Another area about 30 minutes outside of Temecula is Idyllwild which has alot of great riding as well. Hurkey Creek Hurkey Creek Mountain Bike Trail in Idyllwild, California || SINGLETRACKS.COM and Alvin Meadows are the (2) most popular spots out there but there's alot I don't know about because I'm a creature of habit.

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010
    I just did Noble Cyn on Saturday when everyone was shopping - literally didn't see another bike on the trail. The trail is in great shape except the top 20-25% is muddy. After this cold storm, I wouldn't be surprised if it has snow on top. I would still suggest riding it and just avoid the very top section. Indian Creek Trail is also in great shape. Big Laguna is probably a muddy mess and should be avoided. San Juan Trail is worth the drive and holds up well after a rain. SoCal in winter rocks!

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the responses, and k2 for the link to the course. We're hoping to check it out on Saturday the 29th.

Probably leaving on Monday, so won't be able to do any New Years' day riding. Road riding Palomar today - excited to check that one off the list!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    We have a shop ride in El Moro (Orange County) on Sunday, you're more than welcome to join us.

mtbr member
    I head down to SD to see the in laws every other month or so and have explored a bit. Palomar climb is a good one. I can't recommend enough big Laguna mountain. Great change in scenery from riding up here in Santa Barbara. Loved it. Would hit that if you have time. The Ted Williams jumps are a great freeride area you can kill a morning at too

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Smile Welcome to San Diego!

Kinda late notice for tomorrow (Friday, December 27th), however we are riding the Vail Lake Super D segments, planning to arrive there around 8:30am and ride until 11. Then on Saturday morning at 7am, we have a longer ride - 25 miles - in South San Diego county that will link up the Brothel, Tiki Hut, etc. And there are options to drop out earlier if you want.

You guys are welcome to join us at either or both - send me a PM or call / text me at 619 818-3739 and I'll get you the details.

Drew
    2013 Intense Carbine 275 - Flo Green
    2012 Surly Pugsley Black Ops - Black/Black
    Silky Katanaboy & BigBoy (folding saws)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdaman View Post
    Kinda late notice for tomorrow (Friday, December 27th), however we are riding the Vail Lake Super D segments, planning to arrive there around 8:30am and ride until 11. Then on Saturday morning at 7am, we have a longer ride - 25 miles - in South San Diego county that will link up the Brothel, Tiki Hut, etc. And there are options to drop out earlier if you want.

You guys are welcome to join us at either or both - send me a PM or call / text me at 619 818-3739 and I'll get you the details.

Drew
    Hi Drew, thanks for the note. We decided we'll just pre-ride on Friday or Saturday. Do you know if they'll permit practice on Saturday the 19th?

We rode at Elfin Forest today - holy moly! Made Calistoga's Oat Hill Mine Road seem like a cake walk. Amazingly fun downhill! As I was going up it I was so pissed at how hard it was, I couldn't even fathom how rad the DH would be.

Hoping for San Juan Trail Sunday. You guys are so lucky down here - HERO DIRT! Nothing but mud up north, boo.