Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Help : kick @ss mtb store needed in LA

Hi there.

I will be soon visiting LA again and I need one serious MTB store. I've visited Cynergy Cycle in Santa Monica just for clothes last year and it was ok,did not pay attention to bike parts anyway. What I need now is a well stocked parts store,I really need some detailed parts ( like bar end plugs....those things are quite hard to find in stores back here in EU).
    Driving is not a problem,we'll have a car and we will be passing through Rancho Cucamonga,Baldwin Park ,High Desert in case these areas have those kind of shops.

cheers from Italy
    Andy.
    '14 Epic Marathon 29 for sale
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped

Team Fearless Descender
    I’ve been asking this question for the 25+ years I’ve been living and riding in WLA. I always find it sadly funny that when I travel to ride (UT, CO, OR, WA, etc.), and always to smaller towns than LA (is there anything BIGGER than LA?), I find better shops than we have here. You’d think with the population here, just by percentage, there are more riders here than most places. And, there is “money” here, so you’d think higher end shop(s) could survive.

Still, I guess it is hard to own / operate a shop that has high(er) end stuff, the money is in beach cruisers – quantity over quality. Well, once I win the LOTTO for about 30M, I’ll open that shop. It won’t matter if I turn a profit or not!

Devastazione – Many people talk highly of “The Path” in Orange County, though in my opinion they have problems too. I’ve only been once, it is nearly an hour drive for me (maybe they need an WLA location?). Google them up.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Flaccid Member
    Might help if we knew what brand of grip you run, so we know what brand of bar end you are looking for? Have you tried Ebay in the USA?

http://www.ebay.com/

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=bic....c0.m270.l1313

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Odi....c0.m270.l1313

You can sometimes find take off parts at Wheel World in Culver City and Woodland Hills, suburbs of Los Angeles, or Price Point. Google them up on line, maybe buy what you need and have them shipped to someone in your area with a mailbox or an address, so it's already here when you arrive?
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 11-02-2010 at 09:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I like Wheel World in Culver City. They are helpful and have a good selection of bike parts.

Also check out jensonusa.com. You can see their stock online and then go pick it up in person. The showroom is not that impressive, but they do stock a lot of parts in their warehouse, which is attached to the store. It's about 40 mins out of LA in Ontario.

I'm sorry you had to buy anything from Cynergy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Might help if we knew what brand of grip you run, so we know what brand of bar end you are looking for? Have you tried Ebay in the USA?

http://www.ebay.com/

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=bic....c0.m270.l1313

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Odi....c0.m270.l1313

You can sometimes find take off parts at Wheel World in Culver City and Woodland Hills, suburbs of Los Angeles, or Price Point. Google them up on line, maybe buy what you need and have them shipped to someone in your area with a mailbox or an address, so it's already here when you arrive?
    I'm mostly looking for ODI. I can get them online in EU aswell,just the joy of touching them in person at the shop makes it a vacation thing experience...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandegrande

Yeah man,they were a bunch of rude and ugly snob pricks........

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I bought my Oury/ODI lock on grips from Jenson for $20. They rock

mtbr member
    May 2004
    ODI's aren't uncommon in a number of LBSs.

Knomer
    An LBS ranked/requested purely on bar end plug availability.

Now I've seen it all.

mtbr member
    Cynergy sucks. In my experience they're incompetent if you have to order anything. Jenson may have a good store, I've never been but have ordered a few things and they always seem to have most stuff in stock.

Really, I would say your best bet is to order from PricePoint or Jenson. They are both in SoCal so you should receive the item the next day if you order early enough and it's in stock.

Glad to Be Alive
    might want to put together a list of the things you want and email Jensonusa.com or wheelworld.com and have the stuff ready for you when you arrive.

you said.. Member
    The Path in Tustin (central Orange County) is excellent for parts, good bunch of guys too. Prices are decent and they will price match.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    All shops seem to have a somewhat unique personality and emphasize a particular market segment over others, usually targeted toward their local clientele. None are perfect, but some try very hard to be good shops.

I have visited shops all over the greater LA/OC area and there are a lot that are decent enough, but for having the type of MTB parts in stock that I like, The Path (in Tustin, CA) is my personal 'Graceland'. It's a solid hour away in good traffic and worth driving past a hundred other shops to get there if I want to check out a variety of MTB 'stuff' all in one place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sounds like I need to stop at The Path next time I'm in OC.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by grandegrande
    Also check out jensonusa.com. You can see their stock online and then go pick it up in person. The showroom is not that impressive, but they do stock a lot of parts in their warehouse, which is attached to the store. It's about 40 mins out of LA in Ontario.

By the way, Jenson no longer has the warehouse in Ontario. They moved to Riverside, and they no longer really have a showroom there. They still have their retail store in Corona.

Another thumbs up for The Path, although their ODI inventory has been really low for a while.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If youre in LA and need ODI, Wheel World has them. They are ok, just a little hard to get the sales peoples attention on weekends. Weekdays, as I said, theyre ok. Cool folks when you actually get to talk to them.

Buying from Jenson USA while in LA gets you the stuff in 2 to 3 days. Thats how I do it. I don't mind paying 6 bucks for shipping rather than 20 for gas.

For complete bikes, check out Helen's in Santa Monica. They are pretty busy, but the deals on complete bikes are pretty good. They are not really a parts store.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms

Now I've seen it all.
    My thoughts exactly, like that will keep the lights on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms

Now I've seen it all.
    I used to buy hobby and sport stuff via US mail order to where I used to live. From the outside looking in, its the small parts that are hard to come by.

mtbr member
    Wheelworld in Culver City is ok. but don't let them service your bike!!! check out Bike Improve in Westwood, small but knowledgeable. theres another small shop on Lincoln Blvd. in Santa Monica that has hight end mt. and road bikes, i forget the name.

gone for a bike ride
    i miss Liz at Culver City Wheelworld she was brilliant & funny - i had her lined up to build my a9c - might try that shop on Lincoln instead - whats the name?

last Thursday the CC WheelWorld manager waited almost 10 mins after the shop had closed for my wife who was running late to pick up a crankset - alot of shops wouldn't have done that - thanks peeps

...they had bar plugs too

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    totally agree, the shops in LA are too commercial, try finding a set of maxxis minion dhf super tacky, special order only from every shop. all we have are local mail order guys like pricepoint and jensen. but no core shop everyone is on this fixie trend.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nagatahawk
    Wheelworld in Culver City is ok. but don't let them service your bike!!! check out Bike Improve in Westwood, small but knowledgeable. theres another small shop on Lincoln Blvd. in Santa Monica that has hight end mt. and road bikes, i forget the name.
    I don't know who they have putting pedals on but they must be using a cheater since two brand new bikes from there I know of had to go the pedal wrench and hammer route to get them off.

mtbr member
    The Path should definitely be on you list of places to visit. Probably the best store in Socal.

mtbr member
    N LA county. These guys are good, kind of hidden location http://www.winswheels.com/

mtbr member
    One more vote for the Path. They are right off the 5 and the 55.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast