Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help...

mtbr member

Help...

I'm looking for a 1.5-2 hour ride to do after work not to far from Rancho Bernardo. I have to work up there one day a week for a while and don't like the prospect of dealing with southbound traffic at 5pm. So I'll haul my bike and ride post work till dark. Do any of you have any favorites? I'm thinking Los Pen (can't spell that word ) Canyon area, Elfin Forest, or even Hogdes. I usually don't ride in North County so I'm not that familiar with where to go up there. I used to do a weekly night ride out in Los Pen Canyon, but that was like 3 years ago, and I've heard they've done a lot of new developing (houses). This is where I'd really like to go out, but not sure about the route since the changes. Can I even still ride out there? Is it different now? Any other recomendations?

Julee
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

Leash Law Enforcer
    Black Mountain, maybe? It has been a while since I rode there, so I'm not sure what is up there any more and how long a ride it is. Depending on where you live, another option may be to miss the 15 (I assume that is the traffic you are referring to) all together and take the 67. This would probably only work if you lived in east county. But, if you can do that, you could hit Iron Mountain or Sycamore Canyon (both right off of the 67). Just a thought . . .
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    I don't know too much about Penasquitos (sp), haven't ridden there in about 8 years. But you can get a 1.5-2hr ride in at Elfin, Daley, Hodges maybe. Daley Ranch prolly your best bet, and then Elfin after that, although it isn't as close to Rancho Bernardo as Daley. Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Depends on what you're looking for. Hodges has a few fun sections, but nothing really technical or aerobically challenging. If you want a good work out I'd suggest Daley. Some good climbing for the mileage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    PQ still has plenty of places to ride up and around the mesa on the north side. Then there is always the option to run the canyon floor down and back - that should be an hour and a half or so.

Granny
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell of D(enial)
    I'm looking for a 1.5-2 hour ride to do after work not to far from Rancho Bernardo. I have to work up there one day a week for a while and don't like the prospect of dealing with southbound traffic at 5pm. So I'll haul my bike and ride post work till dark. Do any of you have any favorites? I'm thinking Los Pen (can't spell that word ) Canyon area, Elfin Forest, or even Hogdes. I usually don't ride in North County so I'm not that familiar with where to go up there. I used to do a weekly night ride out in Los Pen Canyon, but that was like 3 years ago, and I've heard they've done a lot of new developing (houses). This is where I'd really like to go out, but not sure about the route since the changes. Can I even still ride out there? Is it different now? Any other recomendations?

Julee
    JOD,

Try Mission Trails. Depending when you get out of work, it shouldn't take that long to get to the Clairmont Mesa exit off the 15. Traffic is usually pretty smooth on the 15S, gets a little slow at the 163/15 merge, but I'd say no longer than 20 minutes. Plenty of trails with some good climbs/descents. I recommend you join your husband, myself and DT for some Mt. Woodsen/Iron Mtn. rides. Iron is a bit chunky, and there are some hab sections, but the down is fun. Good luck.

mtbr member

Black Mountain and Los Penasquitos Canyon

I rode Black Mountain a couple of weeks ago. I usually ride up the fire road to the top and down the back side. Always liked that ride, a little short but the view from the mountain is outstanding. There are a lot of trails around the mountain but you kinda need to know where you going otherwise you'll be doing a lot of hike a bike. Penasquitos and Del Mar Mesa are still a lot of fun and good for a couple of hours riding. Depending on where you work going to Daley or Elfin Forrest might be too much hassle at rush hour. Lake Hodges is really mostly beginner stuff.
    Last edited by REIGN 2; 03-16-2007 at 09:30 AM.

mechmann_mtb
    Hodges (as long as you include Bernardo Peak) and Daley Ranch would be the ones I would hit up.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your replys. I think I'll give Daley Ranch a try. I think I've only been out there once, though. I'll have to figure out where I'm going, maybe mtbikebill's site? Then I'll head out to Los Pen, since nobody's saying it's not ridable due to the building. I'll have to figure on that one some more, cuz I don't think it would be the same ride at a few years ago. Anybody know a route there who could meet me wed. around 530pm?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Jewell of D(enial); 03-15-2007 at 10:25 AM.
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    I would recommend Black Mtn. It's just south of RB off the 15 (take 56 west for about a mile) and has good climbing and technical stuff. Ride up the front (west) side fireroad, then ride down the south side, then back up the front and ride down the east side (Miner's Ridge trail). Nice singletrack going down. Great workout and the whole ride will take a little over an hour (or a bit more). There's also some other stuff that can be looped into it for a longer ride. It's all close but you have to know where you're going.

I usually ride it Monday nights, but can do it Wednesday too. Let me know if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Daley Ranch

If your interested in Riding Daley Ranch during the week let me know. I usually ride during the week mostly solo most of my riding partners work late.

dft
    mtbr member
    penesquitos+black mountian+daly+hodges+elfin = snooooooze. do woodsan+iron. also, ted willy is close by!!

mtbr member
    Don't want to hike, don't want to jump. Iron is not that close.
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for your replys. I think I'll give Daley Ranch a try. I think I've only been out there once, though. I'll have to figure out where I'm going, maybe mtbikebill's site? Then I'll head out to Los Pen, since nobody's saying it's not ridable due to the building. I'll have to figure on that one some more, cuz I don't think it would be the same ride at a few years ago. Anybody know a route there who could meet me wed. around 530pm?

Thanks again.
    You can follow this: Daley Ranch It should get you around. It's the loop we do out there. Daley also should have maps either at the entrance or at the Ranch House. Mountain Bike Bill's route starts out the same, but differs after the Ranch House. You can also just ride to the Ranch House and continue on the dirt to the paved road past it and ride back down to the parking lot if you're pressed for time.

Map to make up your own route

Leash Law Enforcer
    Iron is not that close.
    Actually, Iron is right up the hill from RB and is closer than Daley Ranch. It's right at the junction of the 67 and Poway Road. If you are concerned about traffic that time of day hopping north on 15 to get to Daley may be worse than heading south on it. If I were you (assuming traffic is your main concern), I think I would stick closer to the RB/Poway area. Daley Ranch is in the northeast corner of Escondido.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Daley Ranch is fun!!..but you may experience traffic at 5:00pm going north on the 15. Mission Trails is pretty close to you, with a pretty good mix of trails. I ride it about twice a week, done every variation of the trails ,and still haven't gotten bored of it.

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinch
    Actually, Iron is right up the hill from RB and is closer than Daley Ranch. It's right at the junction of the 67 and Poway Road. If you are concerned about traffic that time of day hopping north on 15 to get to Daley may be worse than heading south on it. If I were you (assuming traffic is your main concern), I think I would stick closer to the RB/Poway area. Daley Ranch is in the northeast corner of Escondido.
    I agree with Pinch...I15 north at 5:30 will bite....it will take at least 25-30 minutes to get to Daley. South Hodges is close...park at end of Pomerado. TW has enough climbing and singletrack for an hour or so and you don't have to jump/huck. Sycamore Canyon from the Poway side (end of Poway Rd-Garden Rd.)....from this side you can ride Martha's Grove first.

Ya, right.
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    You can follow this: Daley Ranch It should get you around. It's the loop we do out there. Daley also should have maps either at the entrance or at the Ranch House. Mountain Bike Bill's route starts out the same, but differs after the Ranch House. You can also just ride to the Ranch House and continue on the dirt to the paved road past it and ride back down to the parking lot if you're pressed for time.

Map to make up your own route
    This is the route I take and it rocks. It hits all the singletrack and has a good amount of climbing for the mileage.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    From Rancho Bernardo, if you have limited time, your best bets are Hodges from the East starting with Bernardo Mountain...not too many can clean that to the top, thanks to the section next to the water tower....and Elfin Forest. The latter is also hard to clean thanks to the third of three stairs toward the end of the Way Up when your legs are gassed. You may need to park outside the Preserve so you don't have to shorten your ride to get out.

mtbr member

PQ - Del Mar Mesa

If you ride PQ Canyon make sure to include the Del Mar Mesa. There are some nice, fast singletracks up there and bombing back down to the canyon is a blast.

mtbcat.
    May 2006

aword4you

Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    Depends on what you're looking for. Hodges has a few fun sections, but nothing really technical or aerobically challenging. If you want a good work out I'd suggest Daley. Some good climbing for the mileage.
    you realy need to ride with us it will change your view of hodges . if you can hang and I know you can. you might have to walk your bike up or down a few sections but you will get the tecnical or aerobically challege you have yet to find there. daley is a cake walk compared to this ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbcat
    you realy need to ride with us it will change your view of hodges . if you can hang and I know you can. you might have to walk your bike up or down a few sections but you will get the tecnical or aerobically challege you have yet to find there. daley is a cake walk compared to this ride.
    If you talking bernardo peak, she night rides that. If not, where are you talking about i'd like to know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mtbcat

If you talking bernardo peak, she night rides that. If not, where are you talking about i'd like to know.
    I did ride to Bernardo Peak once. It was a tough climb. Hard to really tell since it was my first time up there and was dark out

Bret - We will have to hit up that ride at some point!

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    I'd have to agree about Hodges. If you know your way around, you can turn that place into a pretty sweet ride, with a descent amount of technicality.

Ya, right.
    Quote Originally Posted by brendancahill
    I'd have to agree about Hodges. If you know your way around, you can turn that place into a pretty sweet ride, with a descent amount of technicality.
    I agree. If you know where to look, you can eliminate basically all the fireroads and get some good riding in. Also, a hard pace can make any ride challenging, so my buds and I crank it up on the easier stuff to make it a bit more difficult.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast