a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006

Hello From Nor Cal -

Hey there,
    I'm going to be down in Southern California (Redondo Beach area) the weekend of 5/20 - 5/22. Can you guys point me some rides within 30 minutes of there? I've ridden Del Cerro up at PV every other time I've been down, want to look for other places to explore. Recommendations would be great.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I live in Redondo and PV is the nearest trails and then next is the Santa Monicas:
    http://www.geoladders.com/routes.php...0Monica%20Mtns
    I could probably get in a ride on the 22nd if you want a guide.

mtbr member

A bit more than 30min but

Not too much within 30 min of Redondo that I'm aware of but 30 min N of the 10 fwy on PCH is a nice 24 miler I did recently with more or less than that possible if you want to check it out. It's at point Mugu state park and has 2 really nice decents and only one real bad climb. Park on PCH just past the entrance and go about .8 miles past the gate and turn left gradually up Sycamore overlook 4 miles or so, to Guadilasko 1.5 miles gradually up then 2.5 miles of fun ST DH to wood cyl left to Ranch Center rd and go right to Sage and go righ down to Sycamore and turn right to 2 foxes and take it right and go to Wood Cyn. It's around 17 or 18 miles at this point and you coud return to you're car or turn right on wood cyn to hell hill (16% up for allmost a mile but it feels longer) turn left at the top on Sycamore Overlook for around 100yds then turn left on Wood Cyn overlook for a fun st DH of allmost 2 miles to Sycamore and turn right and go back to you're car. Easily my favorite of the 4 rides I've done in the Santa Monicas.

mtbr member

A bit more than 30min but

Not too much within 30 min of Redondo that I'm aware of but 30 min N of the 10 fwy on PCH is a nice 24 miler I did recently with more or less than that possible if you want to check it out. It's at point Mugu state park and has 2 really nice decents and only one real bad climb. Park on PCH just past the entrance and go about .8 miles past the gate and turn left gradually up Sycamore overlook 4 miles or so, to Guadilasko 1.5 miles gradually up then 2.5 miles of fun ST DH to wood cyl left to Ranch Center rd and go right to Sage and go righ down to Sycamore and turn right to 2 foxes and take it right and go to Wood Cyn. It's around 17 or 18 miles at this point and you coud return to you're car or turn right on wood cyn to hell hill (16% up for allmost a mile but it feels longer) turn left at the top on Sycamore Overlook for around 100yds then turn left on Wood Cyn overlook for a fun st DH of allmost 2 miles to Sycamore and turn right and go back to you're car. Easily my favorite of the 4 rides I've done in the Santa Monicas. Check out the map at venturatrails.com

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Hey Koke & Slowrider, thanks for the responses. Do you each have any suggestions as to which ones I should venture out on? Most of the rides here in Nor-cal, you can start with a decend or an ascend ( I like the rides where I climb first and get the reward at the end). Which one of your suggestions fit the bill?

Thanks again,

mtbr member

Yes

Starting from PCH means that you start and end from the lowest elevetion on the ride so mine pretty much fits you're description. Viewed from above the route I suggested looks somewhat like a backwards "B" with around a 5.5 or 6 mile 95% easy 5% moderate climb (at least for my weak legs) to start with great views of the ocean and grass vally and the only other climb of note is the one that starts around mile 17 or 18 with allmost a mile of 16% or so climbing. There are 3 fun ST DH sections of 2.6,.75 and 1.8 miles and the reast of the ride is more or less flat with quite a few trees for coastal So Cal. The website that someone here turned me on to is Venturacountytrails.com and it has some of the best maps I've used for trail finding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My suggestion to begin with is Sullivan Canyon which is 30 minutes away from Redondo (according to maps.google.com). The route info can be found here:
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=160
    There are many variations from Sullivan Canyon that can be found from the link I gave you in my last post.

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Well, I'm heading down there tonight. Coming from the 110/405, how do I get to the trail head?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    All of the Geoladders routes have a link "Trailhead Directions" that works with Google Maps.

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Thanks Koke, looking forward to the ride :-)