Junior flyer
    Jun 2010

Hell Ride/Bike for Bender

this is from russell at don's bikes in redlands. it's a great cause, an amazing bunch of riders, and a sweet combo of trails:

Hellride 2010 - Bike for Bender www.bikeforbender.com

Hey folks,

Hellride is returning again for 2010. This year its going to take place on October 23.

This will be the second event in our Bike For Bender campaign we put together for our teammate Rob who was recently diagnosed with cancer. The support from the entire mountain bike community has been incredible and we thank you for everything.

The ride is a point to point shuttle of SART beginning at South Fork campground and ending at Uncle Howies Pizza in Redlands. This is a great way for people not familiar with this trail to see almost the entire trail in one day. Especially cool is the lesser known portions below Angelus Oaks.

Its going to be a really fun ride and will be more 'hellish' for some than others. Its typically about 36 miles 2450 feet of climbing and will take the better part of the day. Last year the last riders arrived about 6 or 7 hours after we all started. We will break into groups based on rider speed and to try to keep the flow for all riders.

DIFFICULTY:
    THIS IS NOT A BEGINNER RIDE. We want this to be fun but there is a lot of climbing and most intermediate/advanced intermediate riders will find this to be tough. We had some issues the last few years with people bringing beginner friends with them on the ride and then leaving their friends behind. The beginner friends had a miserable time and were out of gas in the first quarter mile, we really want to avoid this sort of thing. There are a few variations on the route in case people get tired but the shortest route will still be somewhere around 20 miles and 1800 feet of climbing.

SHUTTLES (VERY IMPORTANT INFO):
    The last few years I have tried to coordinate shuttles. This year will be no different. However, with the number of people we are expecting I am going to do it a bit differently. I am going to assume that everyone has a ride to Southfork and has someone to drive them back to the top to get their vehicle. For anyone who is able to drive this will be an opportunity to offer to shuttle drivers back to the top after the ride or to fill your car (and get gas money?) from people that need rides.

I am asking that if anyone has any extra room in their vehicle to please show up in the morning so we can minimize the number of shuttle drivers needed. I would like to get as many bikes/bodies into vehicles at the bottom so that fewer people need to drive back up to the top. We will have some people that have offered to drive vehicles back down to Uncle Howies, so if anyone is comfortable with this, this may be an option for you. For people that do not have a ride please contact me or reply in this thread and we will help to get you sorted out.

So what does all this shuttle info mean for you.
    1. Please show up at Uncle Howies in the morning if you are driving and have more room.
    2. Please let me know if you cannot find someone to shuttle you back to your car after the ride.
    3. Please let me know if you need a ride either to Redlands or up the hill.

We will meet in Redlands at Uncle Howies around 8am and try to be at South Fork and moving around 9am.

If you are interested please RSVP on Facebook.

Here are two versions of the ride from year's past:

Route 1:
    South Fork - Middle Control - Single Track through Thomas Hunting Grounds - Fire road down to 38 - 38 into Redlands (GPS ended before ride).
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5584533

Route 2:
    South Fork - Middle Control - Single Track through Thomas Hunting Grounds - Fire Road to Morton Peak - SART from Morton Peak to end of SART - Road back into Redlands
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=40388

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    bump

this is going to be an awesome ride. conditions should be great after the rain this week.