ROBOTIC RESERVE

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Helicopter rescue after horseback riding accident on Indian Creek Trail (Near noble)

Glad they are Ok, but this got me thinking....

Thoughts?
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

Go big....Die young
    Uh I think you have the wrong site bro.

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Remember all that fuss people were making about horseback riders being out there a year or so ago? Well this got me thinking the trail / terrain is a bit to difficult for horses?
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 858Rider
    Uh I think you have the wrong site bro.

No offense, friend, but after a month on the site and 24 posts, you might not know everything there is to know about the site or what we might be interested in.

- just saying...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm struck by a couple things after watching the video:

- Coastguard?

- And I couldn't believe how quick the ground person clipped in and was off. But in other circumstances, I could well imagine why you'd want to clip in and get pulled out just that fast! Good to practice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My take away from this, beyond just the efficiency of the extraction and quality of the video, is that I may need the phone not just for me but maybe for someone else. I went on a short ride yesterday and left it in the car cause I was like....naa, I won't need it.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    As a former Ranger with a lot of experience with helicopter insertions/extractions I can tell you the Coast Guard is nothing short of world class when it comes to this stuff. The level of training and expertise they have by far exceeds that of any other branch of the military. Alot of them are ex military too.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

L&A
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Where on Indian Creek was this? Can't imagine taking a horse up or down Indian Creek!

mtbr member
    First off amazing work by the Coast Guard. Unbelievable how quickly they were out of there. Secondly it would be be somewhat suicidal to take a horse on a lot Indian Creek. That person was a ways off the trail as well. I wonder if the horse went down with them?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I still dont understand why the coast guard uses the HH-60J instead of a SH-60S which would give them tons more room and two cabin doors to work out of.
    05 Spesh Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    As a former Ranger with a lot of experience with helicopter insertions/extractions I can tell you the Coast Guard is nothing short of world class when it comes to this stuff. The level of training and expertise they have by far exceeds that of any other branch of the military. Alot of them are ex military too.
    As in Army Ranger? That's quite a compliment then.

Re the Coast Guard? I know they sometimes take some kidding from the other service branches, but I think they are military. My step dad sure thought he was in a real war over in Viet Nam.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I don't ride horses but my hat's off to a rider that control a horse on parts of Indian Creek. I am not sure how experienced horse people view the trail, but to someone uninformed like me it looks quite risky.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Interesting. Happened right at the "waterfall" section on Indian Creek.
    I have never seen an equestrian on that section of trail....probably a stupid move to try it, but I have seen much worse trail in the Sierras.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    As in Army Ranger? That's quite a compliment then.

Re the Coast Guard? I know they sometimes take some kidding from the other service branches, but I think they are military. My step dad sure thought he was in a real war over in Viet Nam.
    Yes they are military but what I meant was alot of guys come from other branches of the military. They are pretty bad ass, just try using a sniper rifle to take out a boat engine from a moving helicopter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlX8iX0ui3Y

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    What a F!@#ing idiot! I'm sorry, but i spent a lot of time out there and for the most part the Equestrians are cool people and very polite. But for fwack sake Indian Creek trail is not something you take lightly on a horse.

Glad the guy is okay though and i hope he has insurance because being rescued in that manner is not cheap.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G.
    What a F!@#ing idiot! I'm sorry, but i spent a lot of time out there and for the most part the Equestrians are cool people and very polite. But for fwack sake Indian Creek trail is not something you take lightly on a horse.

Glad the guy is okay though and i hope he has insurance because being rescued in that manner is not cheap.
    Yeah, you gotta be either pretty stupid or really experienced to do that. Last I heard it costs 10k for a airlift rescue and that is just out of PQ canyon. I imagine more remote locations like Noble or Indian Creek are even more.

29er Hater
    There used to be a lot of horses on Indian Creek back in the day...

mark@sdmba.com
    Shuttle Noble? Hell No!

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Hopefully this won't create a situation where more trail sanitation takes place - I'd hate to see the waterfall made ADA compliant as I still have yet to clean that beotch.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i can just see the bags of concrete getting loaded up on horses to pave waterfall........

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    +1

I hate that section because i always have to hike up it. My problem is that 20 yards prior to the waterfall and you are already exhausted(at least I am, especially on a singlespeed). I can only think of 2 people on the top of my head who can clean that section. You know who you are

Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    Hopefully this won't create a situation where more trail sanitation takes place - I'd hate to see the waterfall made ADA compliant as I still have yet to clean that beotch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Not Coast Guard, that SDFD Copter1 or Copter2. BTW a lift by SDFD or SD Sherifs is free, It's the landing at the hospital that you get charged for.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wirk242
    Not Coast Guard, that SDFD Copter1 or Copter2. BTW a lift by SDFD or SD Sherifs is free, It's the landing at the hospital that you get charged for.
    You're right, now that I look closer you can see the water drop aparatus and it is a Bell helo. I have always worried a bit about the sherriffs department flight crew ever since I saw them landing a loach down near blacks beach to pick up their door that had fallen off. They are lucky they didn't kill someone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    I have always worried a bit about the sherriffs department flight crew ever since I saw them landing a loach down near blacks beach to pick up their door that had fallen off. They are lucky they didn't kill someone.

I dunno.. those guys are pretty dope too...

http://www.policehelicopterpilot.com...ts-of-san.html