mtbr member

Heartbroken in Colorado

This former Foothill Ranch/Lake Forest resident has been keeping an eye on the Santiago fire. Still have a number of riding buddies and family in the immediate area that I visit once or twice a year.

I'm sickened by the devastation of these fires and heartbroken that Limestone and Whiting Ranch areas will probably never be the same again in my lifetime. I had the privilege of riding Whiting Ranch when it first opened and remember such great trails as Sleepy Hollow (is it/was it even still open?).

I remember when Foothill Ranch was still a ranch and all the great times climbing to Four Corners and rippin' down Dreaded with my hair on fire and my cantilever brakes practically melting off the posts.

I moved to Colorado in 2000 but have never forgotten the great trails and great riding community of Southern Cal.

All my best to you folks. Stay safe. I'll look forward to seeing your handy-work on the trails next time I'm out.

bcs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    yeah, this saddens many of us. I stood on a hill yesterday watching the bottom part of whiting burning--where the serrano cow trail is. Some of that bottom land hadn't burned yet, but the fire was a couple hundred yards up, and even though the wind was low, it was just slowly spreading down toward portola pkwy. No one to do anything about it. There were three fire engines with the crews doing nothing at that industrial building to the west. I imagine the crews had probably been at it all night, and were just there to defend the buidling. Anyway, there were no resources available to fight it, it just has to burn that area out. I just thought about what a great single track that had been, the way it flowed around through all those mature oak trees. and I had the same thought as you--that it will not be the same in my lifetime. I'm 44 and by the time its recovered I will probably not be a mountain biker anymore...

If anyone finds the arsonist please don't mess them up to bad--I would like to take a couple shots at 'em before y'all string him up.
    Well, I didn't expect the Spanish inquisition...

Glad to Be Alive
    really the sadness is for the families affected by the fires......after time the trails will always be the same
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    yeah really sad about all those homes and probably bikes left behind. ouch!!!

the trails, I never thought that far ahead. after ther last El Nino wenter in 2005 the trails in the santa monica mountains really took a hit. Most have never fully recovered.

big mud an soot flows in the burn areas. My house up in Tujunga ended up with over two feet of mud and soot surrounding it. no yard, no driveway, no fence nor garage, just mud. I am afraid if it rains this winter, we are in for trouble again.

I hope they shoot a few more of those crazy fire bugs.