Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Heads up commuters in Sherman Oaks/Studio City/Van Nuys/North Holllywood!

948 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  007 
#1 ·
I was stopped by a police officer just a few minutes ago on my ride home from the store after riding my bike through a crosswalk and making a left into the bike lane. (Yeah I know, bad etiquette for me, and me getting pulled over was justified, but that's beside the point) And I was informed, whilst being scolded and told of the many fines I could have gotten if he were to ticket me, that the LAPD in the area were starting task forces specifically to target cyclists. While he may have just told me that to scare me, it was from a cop so it's a definite possibility. Keep your heads up guys!

#4 ·
This also means they must have solved ALL the other crimes in order for cyclists to become such a high priority as public enemy number one and get their own task force!

#3 ·
Get ready for the big California shake down. They are out in full force now. The DMV failed to send my registration stickers out although I had paid and I had the paper. I got pulled over, I showed the cop the paper and he said it was too old so he issued a fix it ticket. I went to the DMV, got new stickers. Had them sign off on the ticket, mailed it in certified mail. Next thing I know, 2 months later I have a bench warrant out for my arrest stating I failed to appear in court trying to shake me down for $600 bucks. I went to court with all my paperwork and the judge dismissed the case but guess what? There is a $25 dollar dismissal fee and if you don't pay it they won't let you renew your registration. So I get robbed of $25 bucks not to mention all the time at the DMV and the courthouse and the gas it costs to get there just because they screwed up.

#5 ·
Man thats terrible!!!! You should have contested the fee. It would have been a hassle but if no one steps up to the plate, things like this will continue to slip by. It's often an error on behalf of a lazy person in an office. Contact your local legislative representative and get in touch with their constituent case worker. They love crap like this. Use this website Find Your Representative · House.gov to find your representative and send them an email and give them a phone call. If they're legit, they will respond.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.