mtbikeaz
    Feb 2004

Heading to Whiting today--what the scoop

A group of us from AZ are over for a few days to ride OC and then head up to the Firestone Walker race. Planning on riding Whiting today. Should we be on the look-out for Lions? ( J/K) Really, just wanted som einside perspective on a route to put together a nice afternoon of 2 hours riding.
    Is it all jeep roads or fireroads or some actual ST, some climbs and technical would be welcome.

Thanks,

giddy up!

What time are you riding?

I'll be riding in that area this afternoon if you want to join up....

2 hours in whiting might be hard to come by, the loop is only about 45minutes to an hour...but, there are other trails in the area that are really nice...

email me and I can get you some info...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbikeaz
    A group of us from AZ are over for a few days to ride OC and then head up to the Firestone Walker race. Planning on riding Whiting today. Should we be on the look-out for Lions? ( J/K) Really, just wanted som einside perspective on a route to put together a nice afternoon of 2 hours riding.
    Is it all jeep roads or fireroads or some actual ST, some climbs and technical would be welcome.

Thanks,
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

I wanna ride...

I'll probably be riding Whiting too...

Thanks,
    A good suggested route for a 1.5 - 2 hour ride is to start through Whiting and exit the back-side to Santiago Truck Trail. Take STT up to the Luge, down the luge, and back to Whiting via behind the stables. Back through Whiting and you're done.

It's a good ride. I did it last Sat. About 15-16 miles or so.

Have fun. PS: There was a mountain lion spotted yesterday on the Santiago Truck Trail so be on the lookout and don't ride alone if you can help it.
    Where's my spotted nickel?

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialEd
    A good suggested route for a 1.5 - 2 hour ride is to start through Whiting and exit the back-side to Santiago Truck Trail. Take STT up to the Luge, down the luge, and back to Whiting via behind the stables. Back through Whiting and you're done.

It's a good ride. I did it last Sat. About 15-16 miles or so.

Have fun. PS: There was a mountain lion spotted yesterday on the Santiago Truck Trail so be on the lookout and don't ride alone if you can help it.
    Special Ed is on to somthing here. My Fav way is Up front of Whiting turn left at the "four courners out the of whiting thru car gate turn right and cross hyway at Modjeska Grade Road(first left) up that to the peak and there is a gate to the right and the trail head of STT (no sign)up and back on STT to Old Camp {( 8miles one way) Very beautiful here and Flora and Fauna abuond when timed right.} Go back down STT to whiting ( Luge is overrated and add alot of pavement to the loop) At "four courners again Go down the low road hang a left quickly at the sadddle to do the infamous "Cactus Trail" and out the back side of whiting for a sublime ride zone before exiting and turn right down the road for short ride to the car.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbikeaz
    Feb 2004

... and if we just ... Thanks for suggestions

Thanks all for the friendly offers and advise, I didn't get a chance to read before we headed out. We did the normal route ( up Mustard? down Whitting?) after talking to some locals heading out and had a good ride but I think your advise to head out to STT and loop back in sounds like a great ride.
    I'll post next time I get a chance to visit and hopefully hook up with you for a ride under your guidance.

Thanks Again, although short it was a lot of fun.

Samsonite Tester
    Thanks all for the friendly offers and advise, I didn't get a chance to read before we headed out. We did the normal route ( up Mustard? down Whitting?) after talking to some locals heading out and had a good ride but I think your advise to head out to STT and loop back in sounds like a great ride.
    I'll post next time I get a chance to visit and hopefully hook up with you for a ride under your guidance.

Thanks Again, although short it was a lot of fun.
    See you on the trails.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14