mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Heading to San Luis for 4 days

My friend and I are going to be making a drive from Humboldt down to San Luis Obispo for spring break. We will be there on the 15th and will be staying until that sunday. We are taking his Rocky Mountain switch and my Gary Fisher Big Sur hardtail. Can anybody recommend some good local trails or willing to meet up for a ride and a brew? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Glad to Be Alive
    PM Ianjenn
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

lag
    lagger
    Go to the trails section of this site and check out Morning Glory and Madonna Mountain/ Cerro San Luis; this will be your best bet. OH, or even Montana de Oro State Park. San Luis is a place where the trails are not marked, only a local can show the best trails but the trails I mentioned will keep you smiling.

And you HAVE to go to Spikes Place. It is a bar downtown with many beers on tap. Lots of beer, great vibe, small pub with pine tables and such. It is downtown on Higuera.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

SLO town is kinda mid state

OK, OK, so maybe not if yer comming from Humboldt, but post up your question in Norcal as well. Ask for Brown Teeth. Good comments in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the great tips guys. Ill def check out those trails. I contacted Ianjenn and we are going to meet up on friday for a ride. Going to be all over town on saturday so Ill check out that bar Thanks again.

mtbr member
    ride oats peak trail in montana de oro. it'll blow your mind. and you won't see anyone on it, no matter how busy it is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Is there any GPS for the "oats peak trail" I went to school there and will be heading back on business in a couple weeks. Taking the bike for the spare time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Not sure if you're talking this weekend or a month from now. A group will be doing trailwork on Morning Glory Sat. 3/17. Don't hit anyone and embarrass yourself.

FYI... Spikes is cool for the amount of beer they offer but food is bad. Check out McCarthy's for Irish festivities. Montana De Oro! Have a good time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    We are down in SLO at the moment, we will be here until sunday. We went and rode the east boundry trail yesterday. Ended up doing it backwards on accident.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    There's a real scenic, nice 1.5 hour trail in Andrew Molera State Park, just before getting into Big Sur. Depending on your drive, you could hit that on the way down. I don't recall the name of the trail. It goes up the obivious ridge, with views of the ocean, and eventually back down to the ocean where it skirts it all the way back.

just along for the ride
    Guess you climbed it from islay road? Much better going up Baranca, more rocks/technical than dry fluff that you find on East boundry. I was in smellA past weekend, next time thru let me know, Cero Alto or the trails out of Cal Poly might be a better call.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah, we started on islay road. I'll have to start at the other end next time Oh, and oats peak trail has a great view from the top, but it SUCKS as a biking trail. Its a hiking trail, expect to spend a lot of time hiking your bike. Ill def be back for more riding this summer Thanks for all the help guys.