mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Heading to Mammoth in a few days...

I'm heading up to Mammoth in a few days and will be riding the area for the first time. I've been reading all the threads I could find with current info but didn't want to hijack those posts.

Anyway, I'm going to be riding my Yeti SB-95 and am open to riding anything that does not require me to wear a full face helmet - I don't own one. I'm looking for some fun sigletrack with some good technical sections mixed in. I like to be challenged but don't want to get in over my head on my first trip and I will be riding by myself as well.

From what I've been reading, it seems the park doesn't officially open until the 21st and I will be gone by then. I will only be up there for a quick four day trip. I can't wait to get up there and want to make the most of time. I also need to squeeze in some wife time too, haha.

So, any tips where I should start would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    The park is officially open, but they're only running the shuttle that goes from the Village in town up to the Main Lodge. It's just the lifts to the upper runs that are closed.

All the runs from Main right now basically flow down to the Village more or less. You might want to warm up on Downtown first to get used to the occasional pumice, but otherwise Paper Route, Big Ring, Timber Ridge, and Juniper are all great trails that are relatively non-technical. Although you'll probably find the traction a challenge the first few runs.

Shotgun's also fun if you want something a little more difficult. Everything's in awesome early season shape right now.

Juniper and the Lakes trail, which have awesome views, don't go down to the Village directly, but you can catch the town bike path and get back to the shuttle easily. Big ring and shotgun end at Canyon, and from there you just follow Canyon Blvd back to the Village.

btw on the shuttle, the racks with the red paint are a little larger for 29ers.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    This is a great time of year to pedal on the mountain.
    Be willing to pedal up a bit and make use of the bus shuttle and you'll be able to put together some great loops and descents.
    Also, check out some of the other trails in the area:
    Lower Rock Creek(pedal the top two sections as a loop for a quick and fun ride)
    Panorama Dome + Mammoth Rock Trail. This can actually be linked as a big loop through Mammoth bike park or ridden on it's own.

Here's my suggestions for the best loops and runs on the mountains for XC right now:
    USING THE BUS SHUTTLE
    Get off at Main Lodge and ride DOWNTOWN-PAPER ROUTE-BIG RING. This run ends at Canyon lodge so just proceed downhill on the road and you will end up back at the shuttle bus stop.
    Main Lodge-DOWNTOWN-PAPER ROUTE-TIMBER RIDGE-JUNIPER(don't descend all the way to Eagle Lodge-go left at the bike path junction)-follow town bike path back to shuttle stop.

Shuttle Stop F is the stop after the Main Lodge and will eliminate the climbing and crowds on the top part of Downtown.

STOP F
    DOWNTOWN-PAPER ROUTE-JUNIPER-back to village and shuttle on bike path
    DOWTOWN-PAPER ROUTE-TIMBER RIDGE-JUNIPER
    UPTOWN-PAPER ROUTE(do the full loop)-BIG RING
    DOWNTOWN-PAPER ROUTE-BIG RING-LOWER SHOTGUN

For pure pedalinig loops UPTOWN and DOWTOWN are fun and you can loop in PAPER ROUTE on the way up or down to make a bigger ride.

BIG RING is a two way trail.
    One of my favorite loops is to pedal up UPTOWN from the Village-cut over to SHOTGUN-descend SHOTGUN to Canyon Lodge-Pedal up BIG RING to PAPER ROUTE-TIMBER RIDGE-JUNIPER-back to village on bike path.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks, I really appreciate the info!! Can't wait to get up there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sorry this is off-topic but does anyone know if the pink floyd tribute band is playing up at Mammoth this summer. They're a great band to see and coupled with an IPA from Mammoth Brewing Company it doesn't get much better!

mtbr member
    Pink Froyd
    7/28
    Music | Mammoth VillageFest