Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007

Heading to Bootleg Canyon

We're heading out to Bootleg Canyon in Nevada next weekend.... has anyone ridden it? I'm curious how it compares to Laguna/Noble (seeing as most here are familar with that area), and if anyone has any recommended runs.

And in case you were wondering: I have a hardtail with 100mm up front, we will probaly use the shuttle service ,and my friend has a kickstand.

Thanks!

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Also, if anyone would like to join us, we're driving up Friday night and camping until Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brendancahill
    We're heading out to Bootleg Canyon in Nevada next weekend.... has anyone ridden it? I'm curious how it compares to Laguna/Noble (seeing as most here are familar with that area), and if anyone has any recommended runs.

And in case you were wondering: I have a hardtail with 100mm up front, we will probaly use the shuttle service ,and my friend has a kickstand.

Thanks!
    Bootleg is ALOT different. Stop by the bike shop there in Boulder City - All Mountain Cyclery - (right off the main drag) and buy a map, ask for some trail info/suggestions. It's mostly all singletrack except for the fire road that the shuttles take you up. Lots of rocks, so bring any pads you own. If you fall, you'll get cut. Fun trails, though. I imagine you guys will have a good time.

Specialized Rida
    Bootleg kicks ass.

This will give you an idea on what it's like.
    There are so many lines you can take. I wouldn't even worry about which is the best route. You will smile big down all of them.

Tons of photos from Bootleg DH ! (2/18/07)

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Thanks! Those are sweet pics, but.... the full face helmets/armor make me a little nervous though... I take it those are the "DH" Specific trails?

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by brendancahill
    Thanks! Those are sweet pics, but.... the full face helmets/armor make me a little nervous though... I take it those are the "DH" Specific trails?
    Yeah those pics were, but the rocky stuff is all over the place. There are cool all mountain trails I usually see XC people going down. Actually I went down it myself on my DH bike and it was a blast and very long. they actually considered Super-D course. As far as armour and full faces, well that's up to you. I have crashed so many times I wear my crap no matter what trail i'm riding. I don't mind crashing, but I hate waiting to ride my bike recovering from a crash.

mtbr member
    I'll be there this weekend(Black DHR). I love Bootleg, many options DH and XC.
    Yes on the pads...it is rocky but more makeable than it looks.
    Have fun!

wii!!!!!
    what is the deal with bootleg, Is it open all year? and do they charge to get in? I couldn't find anything on the site.
    something funny

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by brenth
    what is the deal with bootleg, Is it open all year? and do they charge to get in? I couldn't find anything on the site.
    It's a free park. Free bathrooms, water, showers, and parking. Boulder City has provided the funding I believe. There are free maps at the park. There's also a box to donate cash to the park.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Its FREE! they just ask that we respect it and everyone (most everyone) does. Stop in the shop all mtn and talk to Jeff he will help you out. Good route would be to start at the bottom (stone henge) by the VA center. Ride up POW, connect to mother to Girlscout up then connect to inner loop (fun little roller or two on that trail) head down Westleg to mother to POW and car. Great ride and tons of fun. Check the map on the web to see the trails. I do not think innerloop is on the map, but it is at the top of girlscout and almost maintains the same line. Take water and tubes!

mtbr member

Check Out Blue Diamond!

I'm also primarily a cross country rider who gets out to Bootleg Canyon at least once a year. Much of the rock that forms the hills is lava, so if you fall into it you will get sliced. However, in about 6 trips, none of the guys I was riding with have ever been hurt. The volcanic sections are relatively short and are easily walked if you don't feel like you are on top of your game. You will definitely want to check it out. Get to the top by the radar to see the downhill trails and you will know those guys are nuts! The whole set-up out there is incredibly impressive for no access charge.

Another great spot to check out is the trails leading out from Blue Diamond. You basically head south up a gentle rise for 2 hours and then return back in about 20 minutes. Stop by to see MGhie's Outpost for maps or check out the web site at http://www.bikeoutpost.com/. The trails in this area are even better than Bootleg and are the real reason we keep going back. Be sure to check out Black Velvet, Badger Pass, and the Scenic Overlook. If you really want some exercise, climb the Hurl out of Blue Diamond. The picture is looking south towards Black Velvet.

Whatever you do, either have your tires sealed with Stan's or bring lots of innertubes and a patch kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Bootlegs nice

But if theres anything in San Diego that reminds me of bootleg it would have to be Stairway to hell, not the whole place but the DH courses. There are some nice ( but rocky) xc trails but the big Bootleg runs are gnarly. I'd reccomend keeping the fireroad on you're right using the paralell singletracks on either side of it, once you get to the top you can loop the cauldren, that combo makes for a very nice xc ride.
    If however you choose to shuttle like you said you can come down both of those singletracks plus one off the back (can't remember the name) with the switchbacks which brings you around the right side (if looking up) the hill. Theres also a nice singletrack heading west from the base towards the golf course thats a nice out and back. Have fun.