mtbr member

Has anyone else noticed a lot more bike commuters in LA lately?

I was talking this over with my girlfriend last night and we both have noticed we see a lot more serious bike commuters on the streets lately. By serious I mean people wearing helmets, moving quickly, carrrying backpacks or have panniers, riding on the street (not the sidewalk), and riding real bikes.

I'm wondering if the gas prices are prompting people to ride their bikes instead of driving. If so that's pretty cool. Anyone else noticed this?

mtbr member
    I have a friend that takes the Metrolink into downtown LA and the rides his bike to and from the train station to go to work and home. he loves to ride in LA and gets in some good mileage for commuting (approx. 15 miles a day).

i would commute by bike if i could

mtbr member
    No more rain, months of no exercise because of the rain, and gas prices at a all time high, all make for a favorable commute.
    I have noticed alot more people on bikes especially on recumbant type bikes.

Just Ride!

Nice sunny days.

Beautiful weather helps me go out and ride to work. Also the insanely high gas prices motivates me to ride to work almost everyday.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    The rain has stopped and the sun doesn't set til around 7:30pm now. Maybe people are more appreciative our nice weather now that they have tasted foul weather.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i have been riding to school and work for two reason, save money and give me time to train. even thought it is only 20 miles total i get better training than sit on my ass inside a car. this week i got hit by a car who was making a right turn without signaling and looking. So Be Very Careful, most driver are not that smart and don't care if they drive recklessly.