mtbr member

Smile Has anyone been to the San Jacinto Peak? Riverside CA

I went to the cabazon outlet (east 10HWY) today there is a BIG mountain on the south of the 10 HWY I checked on google earth called San Jacinto Peak has anyone been to the top before ? (riding) if so let me know where the trail starts . THNAKS

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Here's the official page:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=636

Almost 11K, so plan on the air being thin!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There is a Gondola that takes you up there but a wide area on the summit is Designated Wilderness (no bikes)....

but, there is also a steep and technical trail that goes most of the way up, I've heard of a few riders who have HAB their bikes up and have ridden down...I think the trail is called Cactus to Clouds....

mtbr member
    Thanks For The Info !!!

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007

hiking yeah

From the Idyllwild side, hiking the Marion mountain trail, up to San Jacinto. Very fun hike. Great views and terrain.

Palm Springs side, cactus to Clouds (Haven't done this)

plenty of google info on both.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Cactus to Clouds is one hell of a steep trail. Used it to train for Whitney. Can imagine trying to ride it.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    Cactus to Clouds is one hell of a steep trail. Used it to train for Whitney. Can imagine trying to ride it.
    yup....the folks that I know that have done it walked their bikes up and rode down.....

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Hiked up it a couple of times. On a clear day (does such a thing exist in SoCal?) you can supposedly see to the ocean from the top!

If you take the Aerial Tramway up from Palm Springs, be prepared to hike downhill a fair ways before you start up again. I thought most of that area was wilderness though, so biking opportunities will be very limited.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    From the research I did on this trail, (cactus to clouds), the land it passes over is not Wilderness. From the gondola up to the peak, it is Wilderness, and off limits to bikes, but down from the gondola into Palm Springs is state park. They don't recognise the trail, and won't give out information on it, because of the number of hikers that have to be rescued each year from heat exhaustion, or getting stuck on the ice at the top.

I doubt that you would be allowed to take your bike up on the gondola. I was planning on smuggling my Uni up in a big back pack, and riding down. You might struggle to smuggle a bike on, unless you have one of those Ibis foldable hardtails.

If you do get up there, I'd love to hear about the trail conditions. The only people I could find that knew about the trail were non biking hikers, so it was hard to tell how ridable it would be.

Anyone that has ridden it, or knows someone that has, I'd be interested in hearing what it compares to, so I can realistically plan on getting up there and riding it.

dft
    mtbr member
    i've ridden catcus to clouds 5 times and made it the full 8000 vertical one time (took 9 hours of HAB, dark to dark, start to finish) you can't ride any of the trail up, its a pure HAB. someone mentioned they hiked it to train for whitney? this is way harder than whitney, most hike whitney to train for this anyway, its an awesome very technical descent, chunky, tight switches, flowy sections, overgrown in places. the defintion of an epic ride for sure!

trail drops 8000 feet in 11 miles

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...art-1-2-a.html

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Cactus to Clouds is a TOTAL snoozer ride, Not technical at all!

Much better rides in Whistler with TONS of VERT that makes everything in SoCal small and puny.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    "9 hours of HAB" Jesus !!

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    Cactus to Clouds is a TOTAL snoozer ride, Not technical at all!

Much better rides in Whistler with TONS of VERT that makes everything in SoCal small and puny.
    ha!
    whistler is great, but hard to match the vert of san jac! now daly ranch, that is a snoozer!!!