mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Harding- Santiago Truck Trails, Joplin et.al

Anyone been up the HTT and STT lately? How 'bout down Joplin in the last week or so? I'm planning a ride for Sat. and would like to take the wife up HTT. She's a strong intermediate rider who's not afraid to walk the tough sections and cuss at me under her breath from time to time... In any case, last time I rode STT was in late Jan. I rode to Old camp and back, down the Luge and really enjoyed the ride- (first time there). I'm hesitant to take my wife down Joplin but I'm confident she could handle everything else. Anyone with a ride report- I'd greatly appreciate it.
    "Pain Doesn't Hurt."

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    STT is in great shape. I rode there last Sunday. I heard the Luge was still muddy. We rode to Old Camp out and back.

giddy up!
    Have you ridden Joplin before? It's quite a bit "different" from the rest of the trails in the area:-)

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    We rode STT last night. It is in really good shape. It should be in good shape all the way up to Old Camp although we didn't go quite that far. Didn't do the luge. We came back down the way we went up. I would stay off the luge for at least another week. It is really slippery/muddy and needs some much deserved sun (and trail work) IMHO.

Last I heard, Harding is in pretty good shape as well. Blackstar is probably still a bit on the muddy side but should be better than it was last Sat.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Have you ridden Joplin before? It's quite a bit "different" from the rest of the trails in the area:-)

B
    No. I'm aware of what you mean by "different." "Different" is fine (and prefered) by me, but I'm getting the feeling that the boss (wife) won't enjoy it too much. I'll stick to HTT or STT up and back.
    "Pain Doesn't Hurt."

Just another FOCer

Ride report

My riding buddies and I did it back on February 5th of this year. Joplin and Harding were in good shape:

Joplin ride report with videos.

I'd say 90% of The Luge is in great shape. The one bad (wet) section is really muddy right now and requires you to dismount in order to get through it. I rode it last night. You might want to skip The Luge.

My advice: Start early, bring plenty of water and allow 5 to 7 hours to complete. (Depends on your fitness.) It's a fun ride.

Good luck.

Rides a sledgehammer
    [QUOTE=Winston]My riding buddies and I did it back on February 5th of this year. Joplin and Harding were in good shape:

Joplin ride report with videos.

I'm sorry, but was that his first time on a bike????????

Just another FOCer

Nope

Nope, he has been riding for a long time. He was just having one of those days or his blood sugar was a little low. If you are off by a bit, Joplin can make you look silly.

The name's Norm...
    Gonna be doing STT tomorow morning. Was gonna post the Luge question til I saw this thread. Thanks SilverSpot!!