mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Gunshots at Black Star Canyon

So I was riding Black Star Canyon today, and throughout my whole climb I kept hearing shots going off. Are the residents here known to do some target practice? It was a little unnerving to be honest.
    Granny gear lover

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by John K.
    So I was riding Black Star Canyon today, and throughout my whole climb I kept hearing shots going off. Are the residents here known to do some target practice? It was a little unnerving to be honest.
    I'm pretty sure it is now deer hunting season in CA. If that area is legal to hunt, I'd guess that explains the gunshots.
    R

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The reason I was thinking target practice is because multiple shots were going off in succession. No way any deer would stick around with that kind of ruckus.
    Granny gear lover

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i heard the residents are all crazy and they hate bikes and kids so they fire into the air to scare them off
    http://www.blackstaradventures.com/ghosts.php
    Gt Karakoram
    Univega Alpine
    Specialized Sirrus

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Damn, than it's worse than I thought it was. I was like the only biker at that time of day which means all those multiple shots were meant for ME. I've ridden this trail so many times but this is the first time I ever heard it...Sucks cuz this is one of my fav. trails.
    Granny gear lover

mtbr member
    I think Chinaman had to be kidding, you might have just been biking around some locals using the land to target shoot on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    well i dont know i havend got there before cuz im scared and everyone at my school thinks its like super badass and stuff to go there
    i just stick to my usual trails (:
    Gt Karakoram
    Univega Alpine
    Specialized Sirrus

mtbr member

Don't sweat it

unless you hear the snap of them passing close by. There is a private shooting range in a gated/ electrified fenced/ Kareshian compound on the right side of the trail as you're climbing.
    There was a time in the past when some of the locals would harrass people on Blackstar, telling them is was private property, but one of them took a shot at a Sherrifs helo and had a fatal standoff with the swat team when they showed up; after that they dozed the squatters camp and I've had no problems riding by myself out there over the last 3 years.

dft
    mtbr member
    this is one of your favorite trails? which trail do you go down, just the fireroad?

Mr. Lurker
    How do you get there? Where do you park?

mtbr member

Not so much a favorite,

but it's a decent workout, feels like a bit of an adventure, is the easiest route to the Main devide and offers more miles than I can handle if you add some optional trails.
    The out and back to Beeks place is around 16 miles. Sierra peak overlooking chino hills and the 91 fwy increases it to 18 miles. Blackstar to Silverado Motorway makes it about 26 miles with the road added to make it back to the start. Riding down Fall line or Skinsuit to the base of Skyline drive in Corona and back to the car makes it about 28 miles with some serious technical stuff by my weak skilled estimate. If these aren't enough for you you could take Main devide to San Juan trail and back; you can access any combination of Santa Ana mountain trails you would like.
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    this is one of your favorite trails? which trail do you go down, just the fireroad?

mtbr member

Orange County

Off the 55 fwy East on Chapman Ave, take it up in the hills past Irvine lake, just past the bridge over Santiago creek make a left on Silverado Canyon Road, then an immediate left onto Blackstar Canyon, take it to the gate, park and start riding on the other side of the gate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishdog
    How do you get there? Where do you park?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    Is it wrong that a fire road is one of my fav. trails? I like to take in the scenery while I ascend and then descend at a moderate pace while I do the same. I think the fire roads are suitable riding for my XC bike, but I also enjoy riding the more technical Harding Truck Trail. Variety is key, right?
    Granny gear lover

Mr. Lurker
    Is this a popular trail? Do you often see other riders?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishdog
    Is this a popular trail? Do you often see other riders?
    I guess it depends on the season but you will probably run into 2 to 3 riders total even on weekends, which is the reason it is one of my fav. trails. Other places in OC like Peters Canyon and Whiting Ranch get a little too crowded on weekends.
    Granny gear lover

Mr. Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by John K.
    I guess it depends on the season but you will probably run into 2 to 3 riders total even on weekends, which is the reason it is one of my fav. trails. Other places in OC like Peters Canyon and Whiting Ranch get a little too crowded on weekends.
    Santiago Oaks is pretty nice, not too many people - just horses.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    yea this raised the hairs on my neck
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njrCF...eature=related

on the path most traveled
    Quote Originally Posted by pb4evr
    yea this raised the hairs on my neck
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njrCF...eature=related

WTF!!!??? That is freaking crazy. I was gonna say that I thought I read somewhere that black star is supposed to haunted, but damn that was nuts. I hope that was fake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah, that scared me shitless the first time I saw it, so much so that I watched it over and over with pause and slo mo lol. Haven't reached a verdict yet on whether it's fake or not, but it's not at Black Star Canyon it's up in Malibu somewhere.
    Granny gear lover

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Looks fake to me, or do you guys really
    think there are ghost?

Best, John

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Captured! at 15 and 16 secs. PARANORMAL ACTIVITY

I am not mtbbill - but I wish I was! http://www.mountainbikebill.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    i think its real...the lighting on her seems to be right

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    it looks like a real alive girl not a ghost ,i'm always watching those ghost adventure shows and they dont look like that
    Gt Karakoram
    Univega Alpine
    Specialized Sirrus