Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROBOTIC RESERVE

Smile Guess the trail !!

Took some photos today of a local ride, can anyone guess where it is?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

mtbr member

sweetwater!

one of my favs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hodges.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    most definitely sweetwater fo shizzle! you can see the pointe housing community through the burnt trees.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Last edited by edlubba; 03-09-2008 at 11:05 PM.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Looks like Sweetwater to me! I was out there yesterday too - got a later start but it was awesome. Last weekend the wildflowers were even more impressive, but it is still great right now. Definitely one of my favorite trails.

Silence and Thunder...
    you can see the towers on San Miguel as well...
    Best time of year, right now...
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Was there on Saturday and like said is the best time of the year to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    sweet water is a nice place. I live across from Mount Miguel Covenant village but dont ride there alot. I have had a problem with ticks there. Anyone else have this problem there? Or did the fires fix the it?

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    I have never had an issue like that before. the only thing that i find an issue is Snakes
    Captain's Rides

MTC rep for LPCPCAC

It's part of the experience!

Every spring and early summer the ticks come out. They tend to hang on the underside of plants near the edge of the trails.

My worst experience was on the south side of Hodges. We rode/hiked out to point of the lake where the trail disappeared. Rather than backtracking, we followed dear trails.

BIG MISTAKE We had to stop every couple of minutes and have tick checks. We would find 8-10 on our legs crawling up. YUCK!!!!

When I got home, I wanted to take a shower in Raid!

And yes, they are at Sweetwater too.

Rockfish

Tick Repellent

I ride Sweetwater frequently throughout the year. I keep a spray can of OFF flea and tick repellent (green can) in the truck and spray it on before the ride. No problems with ticks.

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Tick's really make me worried....But like i said before. Sweetwater seems to have alot of snakes.

what is the best way to aviod them? I always seem to end up right on top of them while riding. or almost steping on them while hiking,
    Captain's Rides

Rockfish
    I guess I've been lucky. I've ridden Sweetwater over 100 times in the past three years and have only encountered one rattlesnake. What I do to minimize the probability of encounter is early morning rides, starting at just before sunrise. The temperature is low enough so that if they do come out, they'll be slow/sluggish.

Geritol Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite
    Sweetwater seems to have alot of snakes. what is the best way to aviod them?
    They live there. We just visit. All you can do is be a good guest in their home. Try not to step on them or they may be forced to hurt you. I live across the street from the Steele bridge and I worry most about my dogs, then my kids, then my wife and lastly me (in that order) being bit by a rattler that we didn't see.

They're on the trail, in the barn, pretty much any cool or covered place. Startle the heck outa ya sometimes Scares them too I bet. It's horrendous what the venom does to your flesh.

It's almost scorpion season too. They come out at night and are by the pool, on the deck, front walkway, everywhere. Sometimes they even make it into the house in the summer. Little bastiches sting pretty good. Just like a really mean bee sting.

Rockfish
    true dat

Geritol Power

Afternoon (short) epic

I'm back from a quick 2 hour ride from the bridge to the palapa, hut, keosk whatever you wanna callit thing and then about half way up Mother Miquel and one of my kids called for help back at the ranch Back to the bridge at warp speed

Only reptiles I saw today was big alligator lizards basking in the sun. It's awsome now that spring has sprung with the mustard grown as high as your head and single track 6" wide

Ever notice yourself thinking "that was the best ride ever" even if it was just average? We live in paradise. Gotta love it eh? This amber lager I'm sipping tastes damn good too and Mama's on her way home with Pesky's combos

Just thought I'd share all that with others that can appreciate my perspective.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 028956blh
    I guess I've been lucky. I've ridden Sweetwater over 100 times in the past three years and have only encountered one rattlesnake. What I do to minimize the probability of encounter is early morning rides, starting at just before sunrise. The temperature is low enough so that if they do come out, they'll be slow/sluggish.
    Only once, Wow! I came across a big fella one time along the fence and he had no intention of moving off the trail. I had to find a stick and urged him to find another place to hang out. He never made a sound the entire time, that was until I rode by where he went into the brush. He rattled and I almost crapped myslef.

That same ride I came across a baby one that was realy pissed and was trying every thing in his power to get at me. I think the horses that came by before me must have pissed him off.

Usually in the spring I come across one on every ride.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    I'm back from a quick 2 hour ride from the bridge to the palapa, hut, keosk whatever you wanna callit thing and then about half way up Mother Miquel and one of my kids called for help back at the ranch Back to the bridge at warp speed

Only reptiles I saw today was big alligator lizards basking in the sun. It's awsome now that spring has sprung with the mustard grown as high as your head and single track 6" wide

Ever notice yourself thinking "that was the best ride ever" even if it was just average? We live in paradise. Gotta love it eh? This amber lager I'm sipping tastes damn good too and Mama's on her way home with Pesky's combos

Right on Duzitall. Life is good, and it's cool when people appreciate how good we have it.

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by EMFC
    Only once, Wow! I came across a big fella one time along the fence and he had no intention of moving off the trail. I had to find a stick and urged him to find another place to hang out. He never made a sound the entire time, that was until I rode by where he went into the brush. He rattled and I almost crapped myslef.

That same ride I came across a baby one that was realy pissed and was trying every thing in his power to get at me. I think the horses that came by before me must have pissed him off.

Usually in the spring I come across one on every ride.
    I ran into a pissed off little guy (2.5') on one of the newer trails off of Spring Canyon on Saturday. I was riding up the trail and didn't notice him until I was doing a track stand next to his tail. He didn't move until I jumped off the bike and started running back down the trail. He coiled up quick and rattled, but never struck.

I did Hollenbeck almost 2 weeks ago. It was kind of spur of the moment and I rode at 6:30am. I'll pm you next time if I'm riding at a reasonable hour. The creek crossings were very full, but the trail was quite dry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Above Sweetwater

Few pics from above.

Geritol Power
    antman,

I'm still trying to figure out what the rock pile maze is at the top of MM right close to that spot. Any ideas? Outhouse, shrine, ??? Oh ya, nice X5.
    Last edited by Duzitall; 03-14-2008 at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Ridin' in paradise....

I

Got to agree with you. Weekend before last was beautiful in Sycamore Canyon. Green everywhere and saw endangered chocolate lilies (yeah I'm a native flower lover). Then last weekend at La Costa the entire hill was covered in wildflowers -- incredible! And the traction was perfect with a great groove going in the berms. no one got hurt, I rode well (for me) with great friends, and then hit some stone brews, single malt scotch, and grilled ribeye for lunch.

So those are the magic ingredients, right? -- landscape, trail, weather, friends, ride & after-ride satisfaction? It just doesn't get any better than that!

mtbr member

Only One thing Missing

Quote Originally Posted by OldDogDan
    So those are the magic ingredients, right? -- landscape, trail, weather, friends, ride & after-ride satisfaction? It just doesn't get any better than that!
    I know I stole the picture, but add "spotting wildlife" to the above list and I think you've got it down!

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    California! Did I get it right?
    I read that on the internet.

Go Fast, Take Chances.
    antman,

I'm still trying to figure out what the rock pile maze is at the top of MM right close to that spot. Any ideas? Outhouse, shrine, ??? Oh ya, nice X5.
    Aliens built it, and the switchback climb that leads to it is called Rock House West. I was just riding some of Sweetwater yesterday. Most people don't know it but there are miles and miles of trails all around Sweetwater in Bonita & Chula Vista. Any time you want a tour, meet up at the Performance shop on Bonita Rd at 0800 on Sundays. Later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast