Big Drops
    Nov 2004

Griffith Park Master Plan

Apparently a review Griffith Park's master plan is calendared for 3/30/05.
    I have read CORBA's position - open access.

My position is concede Griffith Park. Keep the majority of equine lovers confined to a known area. IMO there are an equal number of reckless bike riders as horse riders. And there are a lot. Opening the already highly traveled Griffith Park trails to bikes will likely prove hazardous, and may negatively impact future access to other SoCal trails.
    What's the consensus? Open the trails or limit bike travel in Griffith Park to paved roads?
    Huck Maestro

cask conditioned
    I don't think any of the dirt there is worth riding, exept maybe up to the Hollywood sign. The trails are all wide freeways full of horse turds. A simple solution would be the construction of a rolling, mtb only singletrack loop through the park with small gates and stop signs where it might intesect with a fireroad. This would eliminate any conflicts and make us happy too.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

mtbr member
    Last time I was in Griffith Park, I saw things that made me resolve never to go back to Griffith Park. Eeeew!

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Oldman
    Last time I was in Griffith Park, I saw things that made me resolve never to go back to Griffith Park. Eeeew!
    Hah. I think I may know what you are eeeewing about.
    My old friend used to be a prosecuter for the City of Los Angles and was assigned with handling Griffith Park cases.

As for mtn bike access to trails there, it's too dominated by hikers and horse riders. I don't think it would work out and would be bad congestion and accidents if we all used the same trails.

For peaceful and safe riding in GP, I would suggest:
    - New trail system be created for bikes only
    - Maybe only allow bike access on a limited days, so others know when to stay home if they don't like bikes

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm in Hollywood, and It sure would be kewl to be able to ride those trails for a light workout. But I agree....they SUCK. I love the idea of a mtnBike ONLY single track though.

Yeah...weird stuff happens there, you just got to Pedal as FAST as you can sometimes, and don't LOOK back.

evil genius
    Apr 2006
    I've been riding up there for years and there are some good sections of single track actually. During the week it is convenient if you live in the hollywood/los feliz area and very empty. I have riden up there for over two hours and only seen about two or three other people the whole time.

There are about 4 good sections of single track up there. True, it is small and really not much more than a local maintenence ride, (average loop about 8 - 11 miles) but perhaps we should be talking about educating riders to be courteous and to yield to hikers/equestrians, and not banning the sport from certain areas because certain users are too irresponsible to handle the privilege. This is another prime example of what's wrong with the lawmaking in this country... everything is reduced to the lowest common denominator - and the rest of us lose our freedoms as a result.

Just my thoughts.

2wj

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Where are these trails in Griffith Park that you speak of? I was under the assumption the whole park was closed to bikers. Please let me know!
    '05 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert

evil genius
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by edIT
    Where are these trails in Griffith Park that you speak of? I was under the assumption the whole park was closed to bikers. Please let me know!
    The whole park (all dirt) IS closed to bikers. I hope i didn't make it sound otherwise. When you ride in griffith, you do take a chance. And if you do decide to guerilla ride the park, PLEASE be VERRRRRRRRY courteous to horses and hikers becuase the last thing any of us who ride the park need is a crackdown on bikers becuase of an injured equestrian or a pissed off hiker or whatever. As far as where the trails are, everything hikeable in griffith is also rideable.

One last note; if you get caught, don't run from the rangers! I once bombed it out of the park to avoid a ranger and ended up arrested - booked downtown for evasion - and having to get a lawyer and do a few days of Hollywood beautifi[****ifi]cation. (community service.) And 2 years probation.

Not one of my more shining moments although it makes for a good story.

So if you're gonna ride the park, take it easy around horses and hikers. Let the rangers hassle you if they catch you, and just know in your mind that there are two reasons it is illegal to ride in griffith. The first is that some of us bikers are not responsible and don't share the trail well - which puts other trail users at risk and makes all of us on mountain bikes look bad. At least that is the common argument from the opposition. The second and more plausible reason it is illegal is that people with horses have money and friends at city hall. Period. Is it bull$hit? Yes. Are we stuck with it? You bet. I mean think about it. Bikes don't $hit all over the place, stink, and cost the tens of thousands of dollars to feed and maintain that horses do. But they're allowed and we're not... hmmmmmm... sucks a$$ don't it?

As far as the quality of the trails... the good riding is mostly off the hill above the observatory and there is also a couple of seperate singletrack runs that duck you through the woods on the east side of the park and dump you near the zoo or out onto griffith park blvd.

Anyways, good luck. These days I recommend riding La Tuna instead if you can get there and have the time. It is bigger, emptier, better, way gnarlier, and more importantly there is no risk of getting busted. (or being approached for a big dose of pulsating man-love on the way in - )

peace

2wj
    Last edited by 2wheeljunkie; 05-30-2006 at 12:39 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    too many horses...............leave it to the horses
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeljunkie

So if you're gonna ride the park....
    ....don't post it on the internet.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

Equal opportunity meanie
    I was eyeballing a couple potential lines off towards the NE ridge of the observatory, well away from any foot traffic or horse traffic. Possibly a DH shuttle/hike spot for bikes only if it's remote enough?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    man..... such a bummer. i was praying for some trails in G-Park. I look at my backyard everyday and I'm like "This is a sin that I cannot ride this hill.". Well I guess I'll stick to the Verdugos. I have found some extremely short and steep singletracks in Elysian Park, The section that starts at the End of Cerro Gordo has a few singletracks that are really short but fun and steep. Not too many rangers patroling Elysian Park but you do have to be wary of the dog walkers and peds. If you can get there early enough in the morning or if you have lights, you can keep on repeating those loops to tie you over til you hit the better stuff on the weekends.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeljunkie
    As far as the quality of the trails... the good riding is mostly off the hill above the observatory and there is also a couple of seperate singletrack runs that duck you through the woods on the east side of the park and dump you near the zoo or out onto griffith park blvd.
    I am trying to figure out where you are talking about. Are you talking about biking the paved road all the way to the observatory and hitting the fireroads up there in the parking lot? If I attempt this, which way should i go on the fireroad? and where are the trail heads on the eastern side of the park that you talk of?