mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Griffith Park on a 'cross bike

hey folks -

i've got a trip to LA for work in the next couple months and was wondering about the Griffith Park loop.

Would a 'cross bike be good for it? any general thoughts about doing the loop a couple of times? (is one loop 9 miles, like i've heard)...also, anyone know where i could rent or demo a good 'cross bike nearby?

thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with any specific loop in Griffith Park, and all dirt there is off limits to bikes. There are paved roads that are closed to cars and they get rough in places but are all rideable on a road bike. For road riding you can connect the Park roads to the LA River path and get a decent amount of mileage in, I'd guess at least 12 miles including the river path. There aren't many shops in the area that rent bikes, in fact I don't know of any. The better shops in the area are Velo Studio, Bicycle John's, and Universal City Bicycles, you can try to call them and see if they have any ideas about rentals.
    Alan

Hell Track
    Road bike would be best. as mentioned before, all dirt is off limits to bikes, though i've seen many do it.
    i've been avoiding the park lately due to lots of construction.

mtbr member
    Yeah a lot of construction. Although I was over there on new year's day running and still some cyclists tooling around. I've always been on my road bike as well over there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I heard that there is a hidden dirt path but the cyclocross elitists are really hush about it... One of my buddies found it though... It's parallel to the 5 freeway with lots of exposure...