mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Great campgrounds near trails in the area

Im looking for some great recommendations for area campgrounds, all over the lower half of California, that you can hit the trails from right outside the tent.

If it matters I only have a tent so RV specific campgrounds wouldnt do it for me. Ive tried to search around a little bit but who knows the best trails for cycling better than people who do it? I seem to find notes about biking but I want to know what good mountain bike trails I can find near camping not just 'bike paths'.

I did the 24 hours of adrenalin at Hurkey Creek Park a couple weekends ago and would love to find more spots like that. Im kinda new to the area so dont know too much.

Lets start a good listing so everyone can get out there more for the weekends!

Thanks to anyone who can help.
    brian

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Sycamore Canyon in Pt. Mugu State Park in Ventura County would be my first choice. You have to be careful not to get Thornhill Broome - it's a great campground right on the beach, but not near biking. If you camp right at the bottom of the canyon, you are close to the beach but have miles of great biking for all abilities right outside your tent.

Montana de Oro is San Luis Obispo is another good choice. Riding is not quite as close or convenient or varied, but still excellent, also very close to the beach (can you tell that's my bias?).

mtbr member
    Laguna Camp: tents, hot showers and literally on the Big Laguna Trail which is excellent and connects to Noble Canyon, Indian Creek, etc...

It's soil, not dirt!
    1. Montana de Oro in Los Osos - amazing trails and camping right on the ocean

2. Cerro Alto in between Morro Bay and Atascadero - great climb to the top and lots of options for a long loop back

Check here for more trails in the area

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Barton Flats or Southfork on highway 38. Both of these are right on the SART. The only bad part about them is the ride would finish with an uphill to get back to the campground. But hey, you do get 30+ miles of great singletrack.

The video at the bottom left of this page was from our camping trip to Barton Flats a couple years ago.
    http://socalmtbiking.blogspot.com/20...rial-sart.html

Certainly Hurkey Creek is a good option too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Great start!

I knew I could count on a great list getting started here! Thanks for the help. Keep it up. Im going to hit every single one of these... eventually.

More, more, more!

mtbr member
    1) I will second Big Laguna in Cleveland National Forest. It is just plain drop dead gorgeous there, the air is clean, the trails are great.

2) Cuyamaca Rancho State Park is close enough to Laguna you could hit trails in both areas in one long weekend or move along to Green Valley campground, which is located near several trailheads in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park.

3) Chula Vista campground in Los Padres National Forest. Not a ton of trails, but everyone loves the series of connecting singletracks on Mt. Pinos. The fun begins right outside your tent flap-- just follow the grinning mountain bikers. Unfortunately the mountain is dry and you'll have to carry in your own water.

4) Big Bear-- Pine Knot campground in San Bernardino National Forest. It's located near the base of Snow Summit for lift-assisted riding (or not).
    Last edited by LadyDi; 05-07-2008 at 12:39 AM.
    Never give up, never surrender.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    McGill or Pinos CG in the Los Padres.

Blue Ridge, Chilao CG in the Angeles, San Gabriels

Quaking Aspen CG above Kernville (a little toward the middle of California, perhaps)
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

just along for the ride
    Add Morro Bay State park campground, trails start right there for some technical up black hill or some rollacoaster type trails at cabrillo peaks. MdO and Cerro Alto are also must do camping/riding in SLO county.

That's gonna leave a mark
    My backyard has a pool and an outside fireplace and large built-in BBQ. Trails are right across the street and there's a full service workshop in my garage.

I know, nobody likes a braggart. But I sure feel lucky when I pedal out of my driveway.

Another vote for Sycamore Cyn in Ventura County.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    My backyard has a pool and an outside fireplace and large built-in BBQ. Trails are right across the street and there's a full service workshop in my garage.

I know, nobody likes a braggart. But I sure feel lucky when I pedal out of my driveway.

Another vote for Sycamore Cyn in Ventura County.

what's the accomodations ??
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    what's the accomodations ??
    Well it's either the pool lounge chair or the igloo dog house...
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

barton flats

2nd vote for Barton Flats campground on Hwy 38 in San Bernardino Nat. Forest.....from the campground there is a spur that leads right to the SART trail.......Southfork Campground is also good but is closed for the season (I think opens mid-May)

The SART trail is in great shape......as of 1 week ago only 2 trees blocking the trail

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Hannah Flats

The Grout Bay/Grays Peak trail on the north side of Big Bear Lake is awesome. Unfortunately the fire last fall passed right through this area and I have not heard what the latest conditions are. I usually camp at Hannah Flats or one of the yellow post sites in the area and hit the trail from there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Upper Oso Campground in Santa Barbara

Upper Oso Campground in Santa Barbara is perfect for a few days riding.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Well it's either the pool lounge chair or the igloo dog house...

vince....I am so there, but I can't find out how you put in reservations.....not listed on Google
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Millard Campground in Alta Dena provides access to the Millard, El Prieto, Sunset Ridge and Upper, Middle and Lower Sam Merrill trails, among others.