mtbr member

Grand Loop ... San Diego

The following are from a ride I took today. I have named it "Grand Loop" because several trails made up the loop. The best trail in San Digo is included in this ride ... Nobel Canyon.

The trails/roads I chose to make up this loop are (in order) East Side Trail, West Side Trail, Upper Green Valley Fire Road,
    Upper Green Valley Trail, La Cima Trail, Lucky Five Trail, Sunrise Highway, Noble Canyon Trail, Pine Creek Trail, Pine Creek Road,
    Indian Creek Trail, Harvey Moore Trail, and East Mesa Fire Road.

Below I have selected some of the 47 photos I took.

DSC08780

DSC08781

DSC08787

DSC08791

DSC08803

DSC08804

DSC08810

DSC08812

DSC08817

DSC08819

DSC08832

grand-loop-san-diego-map-capture

grand-loop-san-diego-profile

For stories, maps, photos, and vidios ... please visit my website.

Joe@MBD

To view hundreds of my photos please visit my photo website.

My Site
    My Photos
    Last edited by Joe@MBD.com; 11-25-2012 at 11:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Harvey Moore is hiking only. The trail connecting Indian Creek to East Mesa fire road is Granite Springs.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    That's one whole lotta ride! Thanks for sharing!

Ridin' Furry
    Thats a whole lot of huff n puff. Nothin but hills.

Its always fun riding out in laguna.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Nice! Done all that, but not at one time.
    If not biking, then what?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just think. If they do open up the PCT along the Laguna section, you can eliminate the Sunrise Hwy. pavement portions of that ride altogether, and actually add mileage. Quality, trail-mileage at that.

Makes commenting on the PCT thread/forum all the more worthwhile, doesn't it?
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member

Riding The PCT

Dear Ray,

Yes, that 6 miles on Sunrise Highway was my least favorite part of the ride.
    But I was really ready for some good mountain biking after that ...
    and Noble Canyon was great.

I have often looked (as you probably have) off the highway
    to the east and seen that gem (the PCT) just sitting down there ...
    nobody on it.

I ran across several riders in Tahoe this past summer who said they ride the PCT quite often, especially during the time of year when there would not be a lot of hikers.
    Down here ... I am not sure I have ever seen any hikers using it.

I spoke with a guy from the PCT association.
    He told me something I found interesting.
    He said that when the PCT passes through an entity,
    it is up to that entity to make and enforce the rules on that stretch of trail.

In other words, the Cleveland National Forest (or any other entity) could allow mountain bikers on the PCT while others (Yosemite National Park, Ansel Adams Wilderness, etc.) may not want to allow them. There is no one rule set down that says no biking.

This gives me a little hope that maybe some of these old policies might (some day) be changed.

Sincerely,

Joe
    Mountain Bike Diaries

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe@MBD.com View Post
    Dear Ray,

Yes, that 6 miles on Sunrise Highway was my least favorite part of the ride.
    But I was really ready for some good mountain biking after that ...
    and Noble Canyon was great.

I have often looked (as you probably have) off the highway
    to the east and seen that gem (the PCT) just sitting down there ...
    nobody on it.

I ran across several riders in Tahoe this past summer who said they ride the PCT quite often, especially during the time of year when there would not be a lot of hikers.
    Down here ... I am not sure I have ever seen any hikers using it.

I spoke with a guy from the PCT association.
    He told me something I found interesting.
    He said that when the PCT passes through an entity,
    it is up to that entity to make and enforce the rules on that stretch of trail.

In other words, the Cleveland National Forest (or any other entity) could allow mountain bikers on the PCT while others (Yosemite National Park, Ansel Adams Wilderness, etc.) may not want to allow them. There is no one rule set down that says no biking.

This gives me a little hope that maybe some of these old policies might (some day) be changed.

Sincerely,

Joe
    Mountain Bike Diaries
    That IS interesting, Joe. Yes, the PCT in the Lagunas could easily be an acronym for the Perfect Cycling Trail, as it is quite compatible with bicycles in that section. Plus, the high speeds that many often fear about adding bikes to the trail equation would not be that much of a problem in the Lagunas.....there is a whole lotta climbin' involved on that section of the trail....I'd likely be passed by brisk though-hikers on many a section of the Laguna Mtn.s PCT.
    Thanks.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member

Harvey Moore Trail

Dear rippling over canyons,

First of all, thanks for reading my post and looking at my map so closely, then taking the time to try to help me get my trails straight.

I did screw up on my map, but I don't think it was the part you mentioned.

The Harvey Moore Trail does run in front of the Granite Springs Camp. I think I can prove it to you without having to go back up there.

Most people hike the Harvey Moore Trail as a loop. Usually the begin in the parking lot by the bridge (Green Valley Horse Camp) and head up the hill in a counterclockwise direction.

I claim that once the Harvey Moore flattens out onto East Mesa it does not stop ..... then start again when it comes down from the Deer Park Trail to Harper Creek, and eventually down to the East Side Trail above the school. The Harvey Moore Trail is one continuous loop from the parking lot ... up on East Mesa ... and back down to the Upper Green Valley.

I think the map below shows what you are saying (the Harvey Moore Trail marked in blue). I am pretty sure the part I marked in red is also part of the Harvey Moore Trail, a part we are allowed to ride our bikes on.

harvey-moore-capture

The screw-up on my map was not starting the Deer Park Trail when I entered into Cuyamaca State Park (about 100 yards after leaving Pine Creek Road). That is where the Indian Creek Trail turns into the Deer Park Trail.

I am disappointed in myself. I try to take great care in making my maps.

Sincerely,

Joe
    Mountain Bike Diaries